Ancient Board Game Pieces Puzzle Archaeologists

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ancient Board Game Pieces Puzzle Archaeologists

The 5,000-year-old pieces mark the oldest known instance of a "board game".

Archaeologists have unearthed a series of small, carved stones, assumed to be some kind of ancient board game's pieces, in a 5,000-year-old burial mound in Turkey. The elaborate pieces consist of 49 small stones sculpted in different shapes and painted in green, red, blue, black and white. The discovery marks the oldest known instance of a "board game," with Haluk Sağlamtimur of Ege University in İzmir, Turkey, describing it as a "a rather complete set of a chess-like game."

"Some depict pigs, dogs and pyramids, others feature round and bullet shapes. We also found dice as well as three circular tokens made of white shell and topped with a black round stone," Sağlamtimur told Discovery News [http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/oldest-gaming-tokens-found-130814.htm]. "We are puzzling over its strategy."

Sağlamtimur and his team claim that their find confirms that board games first originated from the Fertile Crescent regions and Egypt more than 5,000 years ago. Some badly preserved wooden pieces and sticks were discovered along with the stone tokens, but the accompanying game board has yet to be found.

"According to distribution, shape and numbers of the stone pieces, it appears that the game is based on the number 4," said Sağlamtimur. He hopes the discovered peices will provide some hints on the rules and logic behind the game. The real question is how long will it be before Hasbro starts selling "Ancient Turkish Adventure: The Board Game"?

Sağlamtimur was unable to find the dog from my Monopoly set in the mound, and suggested I check in that hard-to-reach area underneath the fridge.

Source: Discovery News [http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/oldest-gaming-tokens-found-130814.htm]

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Ancient d4's. So people were standing on these things thousands of years before D&D decided to bring us the light mace.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
I'm only curious as to what makes him think these are pieces to a game. Couldn't they be little keepsakes someone was selling/trading for? I'm probably one of the furthest things from an archaeologist though, so I dunno.

Does anyone here know what was going on 5,000 years ago? Must of been some intense games of Jumanji.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'd be interested to know what makes this a game rather than, say, a model. Or a diorama. Still, it sounds like an interesting find one way or the other.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Versuvius said:
Ancient d4's. So people were standing on these things thousands of years before D&D decided to bring us the light mace.
yeah, that's pretty funny, still, wouldn't it have been awesome if D&D was invented in the stone age?

imagine how that would've changed history completely.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
TheProfessor234 said:
I'm only curious as to what makes him think these are pieces to a game. Couldn't they be little keepsakes someone was selling/trading for? I'm probably one of the furthest things from an archaeologist though, so I dunno.

Does anyone here know what was going on 5,000 years ago? Must of been some intense games of Jumanji.
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I'd be interested to know what makes this a game rather than, say, a model. Or a diorama. Still, it sounds like an interesting find one way or the other.
The pieces are roughly contemporary with the full swing of the Sumerian civilization to the south. The Sumerians had a full blown writing system by 3000 BC and the larger cities, like Ur, had up to 50000 inhabitants. There had been trade with Anatolia since the Ubaid period and before going to back to 7500 BC. The earliest urban settlements in Anatolia, notably Çatalhöyük, also appear around 7500 BC. Admittedly we are only talking about villages here, nonetheless its permanent structures built from mud brick with around 5000 inhabitants, not bad for the late stone age. So by 3000 BC, we are talking about Urban societies that have 4000 years of slow development behind them. Its not greatly surprising that boardgames came into existence at that time in that area. I suspect its might be an idea from much further south that traveled up the trade route. The previous oldest board game know as the the Royal Game of Ur or twenty squares dates to 2600 BC

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Versuvius said:
I can go one better here. Admittedly it's not even close to being as old as these pieces, but I have seen an ancient Roman d20 in the British Museum. Sarcophagi & Sphinxes, anyone?

Mar 30, 2010
I'm suddenly reminded of that guy who <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123000-Designer-Leaves-Board-Game-in-Desert-for-Future-Players>buried his board game in the desert intending it to be played by future generations. They could've at least left a rulebook!

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
This further solidifies my theory that all religious texts are actually ancient DM guides and player handbooks. Although judging by that set everyone played low level spell casters or halfling rogues what with all the D4s.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, lots of ancient games get found, usually with the manual not included. Which means they'll never be played ago.

Sep 14, 2009
TheProfessor234 said:
haha dammit this is exactly what i thought of, those 4 pieces in the middle look like the elephant piece from jumanji

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
If it is apart of a game, they may have drawn the game board in the dirt or with chalk on rock surfaces.