Ancient Board Game Pieces Puzzle Archaeologists

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Decayed sticks and white-and-black discs?

Sounds like Senet (note: my only experience with Senet is from Tomb Raider IV).

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I don't suppose they found a painting of the rules along with it? ;) Those 5000 year old D4's look better than some of my 2 year old ones.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
D&D back when people still put people in D's and thought the other Ds exists.

It's always interesting to see that people for the longest time had no fucking idea to do with their free time or just wanted to relax. The age old saying is true. One a man gets rich enough, he gets bored and wants to play games.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Nice find, there. I wonder what future archeologists would make of our present time games. Imagine them digging up a set of chipped old Warhammer figures from some irradiated ruins somewhere.

lacktheknack said:

I had an educational Ancient Egypt-themed point-and-click adventure game when I was a kid.

It was a very good game, except the bit where you have to play against and beat some fat old bastard at Senet before he'll give up the bloody stone blocks you need to get building. I still twitch a bit when I hear something about Senet.

If I ever have to do that bit again, I'll find that man's mummy in some museum and shove his Senet-set right up his bum.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Muspelheim said:
Nice find, there. I wonder what future archeologists would make of our present time games. Imagine them digging up a set of chipped old Warhammer figures from some irradiated ruins somewhere.

lacktheknack said:

I had an educational Ancient Egypt-themed point-and-click adventure game when I was a kid.

It was a very good game, except the bit where you have to play against and beat some fat old bastard at Senet before he'll give up the bloody stone blocks you need to get building. I still twitch a bit when I hear something about Senet.

If I ever have to do that bit again, I'll find that man's mummy in some museum and shove his Senet-set right up his bum.
Tomb Raider's take was that you played a huge game of Senet against the tomb's spirits. If you won, you got the easy route through the rest of the level. If you lost, you got the hard route (guess which route had all the secrets).

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
dementis said:
This further solidifies my theory that all religious texts are actually ancient DM guides and player handbooks. Although judging by that set everyone played low level spell casters or halfling rogues what with all the D4s.

Thanks for sharing that theory. It is now my headcanon. :p

Some of those pieces remind me of the stones that, in Bionicle, the Matoran used to tell stories.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Could it be pieces for marknig enemy troops perhaps? you know akin to the wooden pieces to be put on the map often used during middle ages. you know something liek this but much more primitive: