...and at that moment I knew the game/franchise was dead.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
CoCage said:
I knew the game was going to fail regardless who like it or not (only a few actually do consumer wise). I mean who would, other than people who never played Devil May Cry or many character action games at all.
OK, before I say anything, I will admit, I never played any of the past DMCs. Having said that though, this is coming from a Ninja Gaiden Black AND Ninja Gaiden II vet. DmC: Devil May Cry was decent. Good humor and surprisingly decent story. Not perfect at all. The combat isn't quite as full-fleshed as NGII's or even Black's level yet but it's solid, it's satisfying, and it does the job it needs to do well.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The mass effect 3 ending. Its going to be very hard to raise the stakes when comparing a new threat to the Reapers yet at the same time the motivation of the Reapers has made sure that anything connected to them has been devaluated by default. So in short there is nowhere left for the series to go.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK, before I say anything, I will admit, I never played any of the past DMCs. Having said that though, this is coming from a Ninja Gaiden Black AND Ninja Gaiden II vet. DmC: Devil May Cry was decent. Good humor and surprisingly decent story. Not perfect at all. The combat isn't quite as full-fleshed as NGII's or even Black's level yet but it's solid, it's satisfying, and it does the job it needs to do well.
The problem with the story was that it was all try hard and acting like it was the best, "original", and "cinematic" story ever told. The gameplay should have been better than decent going by Devil May Cry standards. If this was called something else, that's one thing, but by taking the DMC name; it had big shoes to fill, which Ninja Theory couldn't deliver. Not after the glorious combat from DMC4. I'll give the Definitive Edition praise (gameplay improvements wise), but that begs the question why all of these features weren't in the vanilla version that they claimed were not necessary to begin with. They backpedaled on everything: the manual-lock on, limited move sets (despite having 8 weapons total), red weapons will only hurt red enemies, etc.

Arnoxthe1, if you still have a PS3/X360 than I highly recommend you get the DMC HD collection and pick DMC4 or DMC4: Special Edition. Then you might see where I am coming from. You can enjoy the reboot too, but I have no problem with that. With that said, we won't be seeing any future DMC related games period, because the reboot bombed, and Capcom is on a streak of never admitting their screw ups.

Ezekiel said:
DmC doesn't have enough enemy types to sustain its length. The combat system is bland and simplistic, featuring two evade buttons that do the exact same thing.

The story was pretty awkward for how it mixed melodrama and humor while trying to be cool. The last chapter is so forced (the way Vergil verbalizes his real motives), and once the fight is over it ends so quietly and abruptly, an antithesis to the melodic demon slaying credits of DMC3. I finally had it when the narcissistic developer clips in the credits culminated with one of the devs walking away while giving the finger to the camera (you). You're not cool, Ninja Theory. Shame on you.
^Agreed to all, though they fixed the dodge mechanic by adding in angel evade (basically a mixture of Nero's Table Hopper and Dante's Trickster). Speaking of dodging, it's funny that as much as Ninja Theory mocked the original DMC games, and by extension Bayonettta, took ideas from the dodge mechanic of the latter. Evading slows down time and give you a damage boost? Oh, yeah, that has Bayonetta 1 written all over it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dragon Age - Dragon Age 2 nuff said.

Dragon Ball - Super has done the impossible, it made GT look good. And GT at least had GREAT CONCEPTS.

But to be a contraian:

Mass Effect 3 is not a bad game at all.

Battlefield 3 was good, and it got better with 4 and World War 1. Just suck it up and install Origin on your PC Worgen, the whole "Origin scans your PC" thing is Bullshit.

WOW is still a good MMORPG Hawki.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
votemarvel said:
ME3 saw the character class balance pushed far in the favour of the gun based classes
You... never played an Adept in 3 did you? I completely snored through Insanity, it was hilariously broken.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Dragon Age - Dragon Age 2 nuff said.

Dragon Ball - Super has done the impossible, it made GT look good. And GT at least had GREAT CONCEPTS.
Super will forever be better than GT for one reason alone:

People other than Goku get to be competent. :)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Diablo 3 for me as well, when I realized they'd replaced character building with character customization. I know I'm not speaking for everyone, but building a decent character with good stats and an impressive skill tree was a major draw for me in Diablo 2, so when they made it so you could switch skills and passive buffs on the fly, it suddenly felt like I had all the skills at once and none of my choices mattered.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
CoCage said:
The problem with the story was that it was all try hard and acting like it was the best, "original", and "cinematic" story ever told. The gameplay should have been better than decent going by Devil May Cry standards. If this was called something else, that's one thing, but by taking the DMC name; it had big shoes to fill, which Ninja Theory couldn't deliver. Not after the glorious combat from DMC4. I'll give the Definitive Edition praise (gameplay improvements wise), but that begs the question why all of these features weren't in the vanilla version that they claimed were not necessary to begin with. They backpedaled on everything: the manual-lock on, limited move sets (despite having 8 weapons total), red weapons will only hurt red enemies, etc.

Arnoxthe1, if you still have a PS3/X360 than I highly recommend you get the DMC HD collection and pick DMC4 or DMC4: Special Edition. Then you might see where I am coming from. You can enjoy the reboot too, but I have no problem with that. With that said, we won't be seeing any future DMC related games period, because the reboot bombed, and Capcom is on a streak of never admitting their screw ups.
Ezekiel said:
DmC doesn't have enough enemy types to sustain its length. The combat system is bland and simplistic, featuring two evade buttons that do the exact same thing.

The story was pretty awkward for how it mixed melodrama and humor while trying to be cool. The last chapter is so forced (the way Vergil verbalizes his real motives), and once the fight is over it ends so quietly and abruptly, an antithesis to the melodic demon slaying credits of DMC3. I finally had it when the narcissistic developer clips in the credits culminated with one of the devs walking away while giving the finger to the camera (you). You're not cool, Ninja Theory. Shame on you.
Here's the thing though. Let's just take NGB for example. You would use about... Lessee, about 5-6 moves in total for each weapon, some even less, not counting the movement options, counter-attacks, and the Guillotine Grab.

DmC has about the same amount of moves available to each weapon. But the thing is, you're not supposed to use one weapon alone. You're playing the game wrong if you are. You need to switch from your heaven weapon to your hell weapon in the blink of an eye to adapt to whatever enemy you're facing. So in reality, you actually have more attack options available to you than in NGB. Yeah, it was a bit annoying that they made you use certain weapons for certain enemies, but I think this was done to give more challenge to the player and get them out of their comfort zone and getting them to use two weapons at once.

NGII is much more advanced though and a much more different game so I'm not even gonna try and compare that to DmC. While you only use one weapon in NGII like in Black, the individual weapons themselves all can be used completely solo and, in fact, there are achievements dedicated to this. The former head of Team Ninja said his favorite weapon in Black was the Dragon Sword but when asked the same question for II, he just couldn't decide because they were all really fucking good. (not counting the fast weapon switching they added in) II is all about pure speed and going on the offensive. NGB, while very good, was a defensively played game. II does it quite the opposite. You can't just turtle up and roll around anymore.

Sorry. I miss II...

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
We're going to release a new game every year.

Seeing this come out of a publisher's mouth guarantees I will not invest in the franchise. I was interested in Watch Dogs until Ubisoft puked out those words, which basically equate to "we're going to milk the shit out of the series, cut out content, reserve that content for future installments (and or DLC) and not improve the franchise from this point forward."

Ten years may be a bit much, but games certainly need more than a year worth of development. Anything less than that is going to be shit, broken or bare bones.

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
The Overlord series. When the latest game came out, not having a Overlord, and not really using the Minions. I.E. when they decided to not make it an Overlord game.

I mean, it's not impossible that some necromancy brings it back with a proper sequel. But I'm not hopeful. It's more of a dream I know won't come true than anything.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Dalisclock said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Assassin's Creed III, the end of the game. When Desmond died, that's when I knew, "You guys have no idea what you're doing with this story, do you?"
Which is amusing, because III is the game that actually got me to start playing the series. Setting it during the Revolutionary War really made me interested, so I quickly played through all the other ones to catch up. And then they threw the story off a cliff and it still hasn't recovered from what I've read online.
I played through the entire series(save for Unity, which I'm not wasting time or money on) last year in more or less a marathon. It's interesting to see how it looks like they had an idea of the plot to start with and you can see them slowly lose track of it.

Two examples:
1.)It's explicitly mentioned how Desmond was being trained with the animus to be a modern say assassin and at the end of 2, he gets to beat the crap out of a platoon of baddies coming to get them. Theres the implication in 3 Desmond would get to do a bunch of full on assassin missions. Instead, there's some platforming segments in the following games but nothing like what seemed to be promised...and then Desmond dies and then series hasn't settled on a new near-future PC since.

2.) In the first game, two threats were established. The first the 2012 thing. The second is that the Templar want to put the apple in a satellite and use it control the world. The 2012 thing is eventually resolved with the press of a button and the satellite launch slowly recedes into the background where the resolution for this is in an e-mail that says the launch was scrubbed(for lack of an apple). All of which feels like the writers were fumbling to figure something out by 3. And it's telling because they had Brotherhood and Revelations to buy time for them to put 3 out.

Don't get me wrong. I like 3, but it's fairly obvious the 3 we got wasn't the 3 we were supposed to get when the series started.
Sad don't you think? I used to be a massive fan of the series back around when Brotherhood came out and really enjoyed the story actually, hell back then the games were really worthwhile and the AC name had good weight behind it. Heck I remember back in those days the franchise was intended to only be a trilogy and you could clearly see how the story was gonna go with 3 being the definitive ending (of Desmond's story at the very least). Exciting times!

...and then they announced the series would be annualized and go further than AC3. And then Revelations signified the point where the writers were clearly informed last minute that they're going to have to extend the story indefinitely and its just been a complete trainwreck since. Revelations ending was truly a bad omen for what lied ahead in terms of story for AC overall.

Has any game since 3 actually taken the story in any direction at all really? Dead serious question here hahaha, from my experiences with Black Flag and Syndicate (I'm not even gonna mention that other AC game in between here) its just been ultimately meaningless Assassin vs Templar encounters mixed in with just enough modern segments to create a sequel hook which also just leads to more meaningless Assassin vs Templar encounters in the next game. I guess even the writers kinda gave up on it?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Arnoxthe1 said:
Here's the thing though. Let's just take NGB for example. You would use about... Lessee, about 5-6 moves in total for each weapon, some even less, not counting the movement options, counter-attacks, and the Guillotine Grab.

DmC has about the same amount of moves available to each weapon. But the thing is, you're not supposed to use one weapon alone. You're playing the game wrong if you are. You need to switch from your heaven weapon to your hell weapon in the blink of an eye to adapt to whatever enemy you're facing. So in reality, you actually have more attack options available to you than in NGB. Yeah, it was a bit annoying that they made you use certain weapons for certain enemies, but I think this was done to give more challenge to the player and get them out of their comfort zone and getting them to use two weapons at once.
Here's the thing, I figured that out from the get go when seeing gameplay footage when it first came out, and when playing the DE version. You do have a point, there are more options when compared to Western style action games like God of War, Dante's Inferno, or Darksiders (the first one at least), but compared to games like DMC3 or 4, Bayonetta, and even Transformers Devastation to a minor extent. Okay on the last one, they're technically less (melee) weapons, but makes up for it by having special abiliteis for each character.

In DMC3 you had 5 melee weapons: Rebellion (Dante's default broadsword), Cerberus (triple headed ice nunchaku), Agni & Rudra (fire and wind scimitars), Nevan (electric guitar that turns into a scythe), and Beowulf (light themed gauntlets and boots). You could only switch between two weapons that were equipped (the same for ranged weapons) before starting stage or at a divinity statue. Limited yes, but each weapon has certain enemies or bosses be weak against them (Beowulf hurt dark elemental bosses such as Nevan or Doppleganger) , the game was just more subtle about it. And on top of that, weapons had even more moves when equipped with one of the game's 4 default stances, Swordmaster. Dante could perform more moves when leveled up or cause more damage. Speaking of which, Trickster added a second dodge button, Gunslinger ggave you more attack options in ranged weaponry, and Royalguard was all about blocking and parrying (think Metal Gear Rising or SF III: 3rs Strike). Two more styles, Quicksilver (slows down time) and Doppleganger (two Dante's) were unlocked after beating certain bosses. Similar to the weapons, you could only switch them before starting a level or at a statue.

DMC4 would alleviate this by allowing on the fly weapon and style (1 "new" extra called Darkslayer) switching. Yeah there's was only 3 melee weapons...well technically 4, if you count Pandora. That weapon could act as both and its own style if a player was really good. Also DmC lacked taunting, which the previous games used to boost devil trigger and keep your Style meter high. I didn't like the devil trigger in the reboot either, they were aping too much from God of War. On Hardcore mode at least, the devil trigger acts more like previous game, but still takes a bit too long to build compared to the others. I will give DmC this, it knew how to do devil triggered enemies on Dante Must Die difficulty better than 3. The enemies took forever to kill if they devil triggered in 3. God help, if you were facing more than one Hell Vanguard.

Arnoxthe1" post="9.945213.23856439 said:
NGII is much more advanced though and a much more different game so I'm not even gonna try and compare that to DmC. While you only use one weapon in NGII like in Black, the individual weapons themselves all can be used completely solo and, in fact, there are achievements dedicated to this. The former head of Team Ninja said his favorite weapon in Black was the Dragon Sword but when asked the same question for II, he just couldn't decide because they were all really fucking good. (not counting the fast weapon switching they added in) II is all about pure speed and going on the offensive. NGB, while very good, was a defensively played game. II does it quite the opposite. You can't just turtle up and roll around anymore.

Sorry. I miss II...

I take it you didn't like 3; not that I can blame ya. It was the DMC2 of Ninja Gaiden.

Athennesi

Jul 28, 2016
MC1980 said:
Look at all those 3s.
Gothic III , Dead Space III, Dark Souls II( Demon Souls can be seen as first in franchise), hell even Baldur's Gate II expansion could be seen this way.

Seems a cursed number for a lot of series out there.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Souplex said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Dishonored: When it became clear the developers only designed the game around playing stealth in spite of advertising as an action RPG.
Stealth is the act of avoiding fun.
You're just going about it the wrong way.

The trick is to be like Batman. Announce yourself in a loud fashion, and then vanish. Rinse and repeat, while your enemies get more and more panicked, until there is only one left, cowering in fear.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Assassin's Creed 3 - Story was actually ok, I enjoyed the history romp. But the gameplay got so boring, repetitive, and pointless. The sim farm stuff wasn't that great either, though the hunting and forest parkour wasn't too bad. The ship battles were ok, but not as ragingly awesome as everyone said they were, which is why I put it down at this point. They just took out all the best parts of the previous games, with forced stealth, ridiculous assassination missions, and lame combat which forces you into cheap tricks.

Dead Space 3 - Fuck you, for taking one of the best survival horror games of that generation into the cringiest, shittest territory. Stupid story, dumb-as-a-bag-of-nails protagonist AND antagonist, badass chick character reduced to a damsel who you have to save *multiple* times, stupid game mechanics, zero horror, and above all, microtransactions.

Need for Speed - Didn't do anything wrong really, just stopped appealing to me. I got more into the realistic driving simulators and just wasn't interested in cop chases anymore. However, I was about ready to jump back in at NFS 2016, but when I heard it was online only, and didn't support steering wheels (maybe they do now, I don't care), that's where I said nah fuck off. Pity, because I practically grew up on this series and honed my driving sim skills from it since I was a kid, back in 1994. Played every single one up to the Shift series.

Battlefield 3 - Because of the Origin shit. Not that I mind Origin as such, the more competition to Steam the better - but the forced online and other EA practices. If it's gotten better though I might give it a crack again eventually, Battlefield 1 looks pretty good value for the money, unlike Battlefront.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
pookie101 said:
far cry 3 when i realised im hunting endangered species because everyone on the island has access to state of the art weaponry but failed to understand the concept of simply going to a store and buying a bag.

metal gear solid 5 when i realised how batshit crazy the story is. in my defense id ignored the series up to then and jumped into this. okish openworld stealth game
I second FarCry 3, I can remember the exact moment, too. I was driving along in a jeep when I noticed some green herbs pop up on my radar. I hopped out, harvested the things, and hopped back in my jeep, always watching the minimap and not once looking at the goddamn beautiful jungle I was trudging through. I spent probably 90% of that game staring at that fuckin minimap, which is a shame because the shooting is actually pretty tight, but I could not put up with the bullshit anymore

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
pookie101 said:
far cry 3 when i realised im hunting endangered species because everyone on the island has access to state of the art weaponry but failed to understand the concept of simply going to a store and buying a bag.

metal gear solid 5 when i realised how batshit crazy the story is. in my defense id ignored the series up to then and jumped into this. okish openworld stealth game
DrownedAmmet said:
I second FarCry 3, I can remember the exact moment, too. I was driving along in a jeep when I noticed some green herbs pop up on my radar. I hopped out, harvested the things, and hopped back in my jeep, always watching the minimap and not once looking at the goddamn beautiful jungle I was trudging through. I spent probably 90% of that game staring at that fuckin minimap, which is a shame because the shooting is actually pretty tight, but I could not put up with the bullshit anymore
All you niggas need Ziggy's Mod.

Seriously. It makes the game 10x better.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
WOW is still a good MMORPG Hawki.
I'm not claiming it isn't, but there's a big leap in gameplay from the RTS games to the MMO format. There's many reasons why we're unlikely to ever get a Warcraft IV, and that WoW exists is one of them. So, in a sense, Warcraft, as an RTS, is dead. It's more or less a personal gripe, since I can't really get into WoW's gameplay, and that the only MMO I've ever really enjoyed is LOTRO.