... and good riddance to you! (SPOILERS ABOUND! In pretty much every post)

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
AntiChri5 said:
Have you ever brought her to the Terr Firma rally? Other squadmates have a go at them, but none are as passionate as Ash. She is downright vicious.

The animals/alien line is actually bugged. It triggers in the wrong ace. Additionally, way the fuck back when ME1 first came out and this discussion first started, one of the devs pisted concept art of two aliens that didn't make it into the game. One was sentient, one wasn't. They asked forum members to try and figure out which was which. There was no real consensus. One was a person, one was an animal. People on the forums couldn't tell the people from the animals. I mean, just compare the Hanar and Keepers. One is sentient and self aware, the other isn't. Good luck foguring out which without prior knowledge.

I always disregard the elevator conversations. They are, bar none, the worst banter BioWare has ever done. There are many instances where different characters have the exact same lines.

Everyone i know with even the tiniest amount of knowledge of military ranks has agreed that Ash's rise doesn't make much sense. But that is the way it goes down. Actually, my source for her being held back is Shepard. Shepard states that her record is clean and her scores far above the assignments she has been given, and asks why.

And we really can't compare real world racism to what is going on in Mass Effect. Racism is incredibly stupid because there is no real fundamental difference between a black person and a white one. Often some cultural differences, but thats it. Different species in Mass Effect actually are inherently different. If a black person walks into a white persons restaraunt and the white person says "You can't eat here. We don't have any fried chicken or watermelon" he is a complete douche. If a turian walks into a human's restaraunt and the human says "You can't eat here. We don't have any dextro food" he is saving that turians life.
She's almost always dead by the time the Terra Firma rally happens, so I have never brought her along. Did not know she has a go at them. That is new information. I also did not know "I can't tell the people from the animals" was a bugged line.

In the Mass Effect universe, I agree that segregation for food etc. isn't comparable to racism, but lots of things that take place in that universe are. Examples; the "stolen" credit chit in ME2 (when the volus accusses the Quarian of being a pickpocket, and then the C-sec guy is an ass). Everything krogan have to say about turians and salarians. Everything batarains have to say about humans. Some of the things humans have to say about batarians (Zaeed only falls out with his Blue Sons co-founder when he starts hiring batarians.) The anti-human turian politician in Thane's loyalty mission. The turian who runs the gun store in the wards (If you don't save the council) gets pissy at you just because you're human. All of these are examples of prejudice based on species alone and have nothing to do with different biological needs.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Adamantium93 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Casual Shinji said:
otakon17 said:
Kai-Leng from Mass Effect 3 but for different reasons, because the game was trying to make him out to be this stone-cold killer badass that just doesn't give a fuck. Instead he came off to me as some whiny ***** that I shanked with glee the first chance I got(against a "No Renegade Actions" playthrough I might add).

Not only that, but that insufferable little prick introduced SPACE NINJAS to Mass Effect and was the template for that piece of shit overpowered petulant little prick, the Phantom. GOD I HATE THOSE FUCKERS! Shields and health WAY higher then what they should be for a 100lbs. woman? Check. An instant kill attack that breaks all lore in the game and it took a Geth Juggernaut to finally not be fearful of anymore? Check. An overpowered palm blaster that has unerring accuracy and virtually unparalleled damage when it was just supposed to be a harrying weapon? Check.

I hate those bitches and I hate Kai-Leng for being their progenitors and I was DAMN glad when I got to shove 8 inches of diamond hard, molten hot omni-gel blade into his guts.
By that point Kai Leng had unfortunately already killed Mass Effect for me though. So his death was nothing but a lingering stench left by his presence in the game.

And that fucking space ninja bullshit... Ugh. You know, Kai Leng could've just shot the Salarian counselor if he simply had a goddamn gun like everybody else in this universe. But no, his badass space ninja code demands he wields a sword. The fucking idiot.
Wasn't sure who to quote for this bit, but Kai Leng is actually a part of the expanded universe. He was made a Spectre after killing a Krogan (You know the guys with armor-like hide, super strength, and can regenerate from damage) with a combat knife. He was legitimately a badass in the EU.
Whatever he was in the EU (which, I will point out, is often the source of the worst ideas in many franchises), his inclusion in ME3 was just plain ridiculous. He would have served his purpose if he was just a souped-up cyborg coming after Shepard, but they had to make him a bloody ninja. Honestly, running up and stabbing someone with a sword is never as effective as just shooting them in the face with a shotgun. Also, his character design was stupid. He looked like he walked out of the set of some third rate anime and decided to wander about the Mass Effect universe. He's angsty, whiny, and despite how much the game hypes up his strength, he goes down so easily.

He killed a Krogan with a knife? Big deal. Shepard can kill them with his/her omnitool, heck, Thane has a bloody guide to killing them with your bare hands! Neither of them needed space magic, ninja powers, or an emo haircut to do that. Kai Leng (and what he represents) is one of the major reasons why that game sucked so much.
Ok, have to step in. I never got the feeling Kai Leng was 'Angsty' or 'Whiny'. No, I disliked him for the exact opposite reasons: He's a smug, self satisfied, arrogant cretin who is only saved from being the worst character in the franchise by the fact he killed her (At least, in my playthrough.)

OP: Larry in the Walking Dead. Bloke threatens to have a ten year old murdered because he MIGHT be bitten, almost kills you and emotionally abuses his daughter (Not that she's any more likable, mind).
Mr. Face, meet Mr. Saltlick!

tabristhegreat

Mar 5, 2013
Mersadeon said:
Sorry, but I don't buy that. Sure, a few things are understandable, but the sheer CONSISTENCY with which he got people killed/in danger just makes me angry. He did EVERYTHING wrong. I have no sympathy for the kid - the two things that take the cake are probably "hey, let's take this axe that clearly holds that door shut in a place where zombies might come in!" and "hey, I feel so bad about Kenny's family, I should tell him RIGHT NOW that I am to blame!" even though it is the WORST possible moment ever. I mean, seriously, Ben, you could have done this whenever. Before the mission. After the mission. But noooo, you needed to tell him at exactly the moment in time when it might have gotten us all killed. You were able to suppress your moral conscience before this, couldn't you do it just one more hour? No, you NEEDED to tell him right now, because YOU feel bad.
Just so much of his behaviour is about how HE feels, what HE needs.

It's not that he's scared and stupid, it's that he is ALWAYS scared and stupid.
Didn't let the guy die, though. After all the bullshit he did, I thought "well it would be a waste now to let him die, maybe he learned his damn lesson".
as much as Ben pisses me off that's bad writing more then anything else in my eyes, the axe in the door thing is a prime example of where the writers were blatantly trying to make you hate Ben in the circumstances NO ONE WOULD ACT LIKE THAT. Same with the whole deal with kenny's family, it's inconsistent and only done to add drama

I can't honestly say I've taken satisfaction in many characters deaths....OK maybe lady Isolde from dragon age but i weirdly also liked how she was written...

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
Spoilers for.. Dawn of war. Soulstorm. If you complain, you are a goose.

I was never that much of a blood raven fan, but when I first met Commander Indrick Boreal, I became even less of a Blood Raven fan.

After this stunning speech, I was looking forward to ending him.
It couldn't prepare me for his death. His death made his introduction look like a work of Shakespeare...

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
ABLb0y said:
Adamantium93 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Casual Shinji said:
otakon17 said:
Kai-Leng from Mass Effect 3 but for different reasons, because the game was trying to make him out to be this stone-cold killer badass that just doesn't give a fuck. Instead he came off to me as some whiny ***** that I shanked with glee the first chance I got(against a "No Renegade Actions" playthrough I might add).

Not only that, but that insufferable little prick introduced SPACE NINJAS to Mass Effect and was the template for that piece of shit overpowered petulant little prick, the Phantom. GOD I HATE THOSE FUCKERS! Shields and health WAY higher then what they should be for a 100lbs. woman? Check. An instant kill attack that breaks all lore in the game and it took a Geth Juggernaut to finally not be fearful of anymore? Check. An overpowered palm blaster that has unerring accuracy and virtually unparalleled damage when it was just supposed to be a harrying weapon? Check.

I hate those bitches and I hate Kai-Leng for being their progenitors and I was DAMN glad when I got to shove 8 inches of diamond hard, molten hot omni-gel blade into his guts.
By that point Kai Leng had unfortunately already killed Mass Effect for me though. So his death was nothing but a lingering stench left by his presence in the game.

And that fucking space ninja bullshit... Ugh. You know, Kai Leng could've just shot the Salarian counselor if he simply had a goddamn gun like everybody else in this universe. But no, his badass space ninja code demands he wields a sword. The fucking idiot.
Wasn't sure who to quote for this bit, but Kai Leng is actually a part of the expanded universe. He was made a Spectre after killing a Krogan (You know the guys with armor-like hide, super strength, and can regenerate from damage) with a combat knife. He was legitimately a badass in the EU.
Whatever he was in the EU (which, I will point out, is often the source of the worst ideas in many franchises), his inclusion in ME3 was just plain ridiculous. He would have served his purpose if he was just a souped-up cyborg coming after Shepard, but they had to make him a bloody ninja. Honestly, running up and stabbing someone with a sword is never as effective as just shooting them in the face with a shotgun. Also, his character design was stupid. He looked like he walked out of the set of some third rate anime and decided to wander about the Mass Effect universe. He's angsty, whiny, and despite how much the game hypes up his strength, he goes down so easily.

He killed a Krogan with a knife? Big deal. Shepard can kill them with his/her omnitool, heck, Thane has a bloody guide to killing them with your bare hands! Neither of them needed space magic, ninja powers, or an emo haircut to do that. Kai Leng (and what he represents) is one of the major reasons why that game sucked so much.
Ok, have to step in. I never got the feeling Kai Leng was 'Angsty' or 'Whiny'. No, I disliked him for the exact opposite reasons: He's a smug, self satisfied, arrogant cretin who is only saved from being the worst character in the franchise by the fact he killed her (At least, in my playthrough.)

OP: Larry in the Walking Dead. Bloke threatens to have a ten year old murdered because he MIGHT be bitten, almost kills you and emotionally abuses his daughter (Not that she's any more likable, mind).
Mr. Face, meet Mr. Saltlick!
I have to agree with you there. Kai Leng never came off to me as whiny or angsty (Except in the Cerberus HQ, where some of the logs have him complaining about not being able to kill Shepard.) But he was definitely smug, self-satisfied and everything else people say about him. On Insanity difficulty the biggest threats out of the two times you face him are the SOLDIERS and the DROPSHIP that accompany him. I kick his sorry ass and the whole time I'm thinking that this guy shouldn't have even been able to compare with Thane, even if he was in the advanced stages of Kepral's Syndrome.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
otakon17 said:
Iwata said:
So which characters were you most happy to see die/disappear in a game, despite the game trying its best to be all emotional and tragic about it?

This.. Oh so much this. Kai-Leng was the worst example of "This was in the extended universe so we need to shove it into ME3 somewhere". No Bioware, you did not need to bring a sword to a gun fight, especially when they set it up as a "This is Kia Leng, you guys all know him from books and stuff and think he's a badass right? Actually Bioware, I don't know him at all.

As for Phantoms; I play a lot of Krogan Vanguard. I despise that nonsensical insta-kill, and why is that hand blaster thing one of the best weapons in the game?

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I played Spec Ops the Line finally and...
I liked the ending since I was able to distance myself from the player character. He had gone completely coo-coo for cocoa puffs, he was not at all likeable and, I'm kind of disappointed there wasn't a way to have him just kill himself...unless that's what happens you chose to not shoot the mirror...

Isabela from Dragon Age 2...I couldn't figure out how to kill her but I know there has to be a way to murder that horrible, horrible character. We could have had Shale back...we could have had...ANYTHING that was non-human and wanted to murder everything...instead we got freaking Isabela.
Yes that's right about your spoiler for spec ops.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm...

I'd have to agree with an earlier poster about that whiny douche from Jedi Academy. I always go dark side just to kill his stupid whiny ass.

How does the voice actor for him keep getting work? I honestly cannot picture ANYONE enjoying that voice. At all.

Also... that kid from Saints Row 2.
Though that probably has more to do with my own personal bias against asskissers. Sure, he may have had genuine admiration for The Boss, but I still found it pretty damned annoying. That kind of thing always makes me suspicious.

And then the game made me feel like an asshole when he finally did die. I spent the whole game looking forward to his death... and when it actually happened... well...

it didn't make him less annoying in my eyes, but I couldn't help but feel a little bad for him.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Casual Shinji said:
otakon17 said:

Urm, no.

Kai Leng was never a Spectre. He was an N7 operative, like Shepard. At least he was until he randomly killed a krogan in a bar brawl because he is a racist dipshit. Then the Alliance dishonourably discharged him and locked him the fuck up, exactly as they should have. Then TIM breaks him out so he can have a new boyfriend.

And he wasn't legitimately a badass in the EU. He was a stupid sue who could never fail because he had an appointment in ME3 (until Anderson shot out both his bloody kneecaps, that is. Man that was a good moment). At least in his first book. In his second he was a hilariously bad joke that pissed in vases and snuck into Andersons apartment to steal his cereal for revenge. Which is much closer to the bad joke we got in ME3.

And taking out a Krogan in melee isn't that impressive. Shepard manages to do it with his face on a regular basis.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Britishfan said:
AntiChri5 said:
Have you ever brought her to the Terr Firma rally? Other squadmates have a go at them, but none are as passionate as Ash. She is downright vicious.

The animals/alien line is actually bugged. It triggers in the wrong ace. Additionally, way the fuck back when ME1 first came out and this discussion first started, one of the devs pisted concept art of two aliens that didn't make it into the game. One was sentient, one wasn't. They asked forum members to try and figure out which was which. There was no real consensus. One was a person, one was an animal. People on the forums couldn't tell the people from the animals. I mean, just compare the Hanar and Keepers. One is sentient and self aware, the other isn't. Good luck foguring out which without prior knowledge.

I always disregard the elevator conversations. They are, bar none, the worst banter BioWare has ever done. There are many instances where different characters have the exact same lines.

Everyone i know with even the tiniest amount of knowledge of military ranks has agreed that Ash's rise doesn't make much sense. But that is the way it goes down. Actually, my source for her being held back is Shepard. Shepard states that her record is clean and her scores far above the assignments she has been given, and asks why.

And we really can't compare real world racism to what is going on in Mass Effect. Racism is incredibly stupid because there is no real fundamental difference between a black person and a white one. Often some cultural differences, but thats it. Different species in Mass Effect actually are inherently different. If a black person walks into a white persons restaraunt and the white person says "You can't eat here. We don't have any fried chicken or watermelon" he is a complete douche. If a turian walks into a human's restaraunt and the human says "You can't eat here. We don't have any dextro food" he is saving that turians life.
She's almost always dead by the time the Terra Firma rally happens, so I have never brought her along. Did not know she has a go at them. That is new information. I also did not know "I can't tell the people from the animals" was a bugged line.

In the Mass Effect universe, I agree that segregation for food etc. isn't comparable to racism, but lots of things that take place in that universe are. Examples; the "stolen" credit chit in ME2 (when the volus accusses the Quarian of being a pickpocket, and then the C-sec guy is an ass). Everything krogan have to say about turians and salarians. Everything batarains have to say about humans. Some of the things humans have to say about batarians (Zaeed only falls out with his Blue Sons co-founder when he starts hiring batarians.) The anti-human turian politician in Thane's loyalty mission. The turian who runs the gun store in the wards (If you don't save the council) gets pissy at you just because you're human. All of these are examples of prejudice based on species alone and have nothing to do with different biological needs.
Yeah Mass Effect still has it's share of dipshit bigots.

But the species differences situation is more complex due to there being actual differences between species, no matter how many dumb asses just want an excuse to hate.

For example, think about prison time. Prison as both a rehabilitation/isolation centre and punishment in human society is built on the fact that humans generally have the same lifespan, sleep the same amount of time and process things at a similar rate. But in Mass Effect? Salarians are lucky to live for 40 years, sleep at most 4 hours a day and process emotions much faster then humans. Asari live for over a thousand years, mature and process things very slowly compared to humans, not even being considered an adult until they are past 100 and consider most other races impatient. Time means different things to an asari then it does to a salarian.

So an asari can shrug off a prison sentence that would be more then a salarian's entire life. How do you build a justice system to accomodate that? If an asari and a salarian commit the same crime do you give them the same sentence? Or do you have different times for different races? Do some math and figure out how much a year of time means to each race and develop a formula of some sort?

Shit's complicated, man.

Further making a mess of things is that race and politics go together far more then in the real world. In the real world, every country has a majority race but in Mass Effect it is much stronger. How many turians are serving in the alliance military? Exactly none. And that's how many humans are in the turian military. In Mass Effect race also determines politics. So when someone says "We can't trust turians" are they saying "We can't trust those scaly dogleg bird freaks" or are they saying "We can't trust the previously hostile nation we have recently made peace with".

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
A certain bioware ninja is being done to death so I am gonna go with something different.

Spoilers for Diablo III ahoy !

Suffice it to say that the script is trash, the characters are trash, the interactions are trash etc. But I grew a bit fond of Leah. I am fond of redheads in general and she seemed like a good gal. And then her mother came in.

I do not like being played. Betrayed I can manage, been so in real life once or twice. But pretenders get my goat like noone else. That ***** played me and when the expansion comes, I am gonna kill her again and again and again.

Suomimaster

Mar 19, 2008
When the dog dies in Fable II, never cared for that useless mutt.

Yeah, sure it sniffed out treasures. Too bad the treasure was always something like apples and other junk you didn't use. Also, the help it provided in combat was nonexistent (always ended up limbing after every battle). I would have rather searched actually useful and valuable stuff using my own eyes and wits. Oh well, Fable: The Lost Chapters is the only good Fable there is, and most likely will be.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
From the Mass Effect series:

Kai Leng: As I'm fond of saying, his character is so flat he could turn 90 degrees and suddenly he wouldn't need a cloaking device. His character design and personality are ridiculous and he only survived because the game insisted on it. He wasn't cool, or interesting, he just existed to piss you off. The fact that Shepard calls him out as a pathetic coward was quite satisfying though.

Miranda: Optional death, granted, but it was only my inner perfectionism that spared her from dying during the suicide mission. Hate her smug attidue, uncanny valley face (technology just hasn't advanced well enough to do what they tried to do with her RL model) and phenominally stupid ideas. Try the authoritarian stance on Jack? Ha. Try and claim you're just as good a biotic as a centuries old justicar? Ha! Trying to make herself my second in command without even so much as a "if the Commander agrees"? HA!

That BLOODY Kid: I knew, from the moment I saw him, that he was going to die, and they'd try to make it super sad. Oh, what a heartstring-tugger this will be! It was the clumsiest execution I think I've ever seen. The only nice thing about Shepards stupid nightmare sections is that the blasted punk gets set on fire. Shame it didn't seem to bother him too much.

In Neverwinter Nights 2:
Qara, when she betrayed me in the end. It was supposed to be a big moment of betrayal, but I could only thank Black Garrius for making her a valid target at last. Stupid little girl whose obsession with setting things on fire was like a boring version of Ignis. At least he was an interesting take on the pyromaniac ideal. She's just in imbecile seemingly powered by anti-intellectualism. "It's a waste of time trying to categorize magic or learn it from books, you either get it or you don't". Yeah, not like Wizards get power faster and actually understand what they're doing, rather than just winging it. Didn't help that her more educated counterpart with Sand was much friendlier (in his own sarcastic way) and actually tried to help you out of a jam in the trial.

Dragon Age: Origins
Loghain: Sorry, a few moments with your daughter before I have Alistair slice your head off isn't going to cut it, as she's even worse than you are. My only wish is that you could keep him and Alistair, then use him to finish off the archdemon...but in character, I wasn't aware of just what that meant until that point. But perhaps a better example is if you DID keep him and use him as the target of the soul-obliterating power of a tainted old god. He's thankful for the chance to redeem himself. Nope, sorry Lo, the only reason you're doing this is so that I don't have to do it myself, or toss aside Alistair, who's decent enough. I'm having you unmade specifically because I loathe you, and the first year or so of my glorious reign as Hero of Fereldin will be spent ensuring you go down in history as the worst sort of monster. Your deal with Uldred wiped out my home, your deal with Jowan set off a zombie apocalypse where a regular assassin would have done just fine, your stupidly overpowered lieutenant gets a plot victory over me to lock me in prison when by all accounts I could have slaughtered everyone in there without my equipment...No, no glorious martyrdom for you. I'm going to tell everyone that you got your ass killed in seconds and it was me who had to finish the monster off.

I realize it's not a video game, but I had similar feelings of dark joy in Order of the Stick when:
Nale bit the dust. Especially when his corpse got obliterated into a billion lifeless specks of ash to ensure he'd never be revived. I was grinning for, like, half an hour straight. Hated everything about him and his screen hogging. The only interesting aspect of him was to give his father contrast, showing how a real, interesting monster is written. Even then, I liked Tarquin SO much for killing Nale that the horror I was probably supposed to feel for a man who just butchered his own son never really registered, so maybe I took it too far?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
hermes200 said:
Actually, in the EU, he is such a broken badass it is not even funny... able to kill a team of Turian commandos barehanded and flawlessly, infiltrate Omega and a military compound and escape with both kneecaps shots, and fight and survive an ambush to a Reaper/Human (think Saren, but biotic and human).
So, not going to go with "I hated Kai Leng before it was cool", but yeah... His presence almost broke the EU to me.
Well, he's the perfect poster child for what Cerberus became. Can do anything and everything flawlessly until the player is allowed to finally do something about them.

Cerberus gets extra credit though for the player only being the second most likely thing in the galaxy to destroy them, right behind themselves(Having Cerberus personnel screwing up and husking themselves is perhaps the only consistent thing about Cerberus throughout the series).

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
katsabas said:
A certain bioware ninja is being done to death so I am gonna go with something different.

Spoilers for Diablo III ahoy !

Suffice it to say that the script is trash, the characters are trash, the interactions are trash etc. But I grew a bit fond of Leah. I am fond of redheads in general and she seemed like a good gal. And then her mother came in.

I do not like being played. Betrayed I can manage, been so in real life once or twice. But pretenders get my goat like noone else. That ***** played me and when the expansion comes, I am gonna kill her again and again and again.
The worst part is you are told by
Kule
that you are being played but you can't heed his warning. He actually speaks more sense than most characters in that game. And yeah I can't wait for ROS so I can blast her mother back to hell.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
CrimsonBlaze said:
Oerba Dia Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII.

This character, along with Snow Villiers (who is completely useless in every way possible) and Hope's personality for the first half of the game, were some of the absolute worst things about Final Fantasy XIII.
To be honest, I didn't mind Vanille, although I usually do those kinds of characters. I think it was probably how she had some hidden past to her and her ditzyness could be taken as a mask or a defense-mechanism, and she had some reason to just run away.

But probably mostly because any of the other characters weren't good either, so she didn't seem all that bad by comparison...