And people wonder why we have the term "gamer entitlement"?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
So Transistor is finally available for pre-purchase on Steam. I couldn't jump on that bandwagon fast enough. Didn't even take 2 seconds to read the page except to confirm that there's a game+soundtrack bundle. Fuck'n. Sold. So I head to the forums to see if there's a way to get the soundtrack now, or if it'll have to wait until release, and the first topic I notice while skimming the topics is "Why pre-purchase?" with the body "[No] discount and nothing free."

Wow. Just wow. The best part? After a few people responded with reasons for why Transistor is worthy of a pre-order, he posted a reply saying, "I played it and it's quite [a] good game," (I would assume at a con, since I don't know of any downloadable beta) and then reaffirmed that it isn't worth pre-ordering without freebies or a discount. He admitted that it's a good game, but is seriously holding his purchase for ransom because he feels like he deserves some kind of bonus.

And people act surprised when there's talk of "gamer entitlement", and act all snarky like it's the most absurd thing they've ever heard? This is why.

Source [http://steamcommunity.com/app/237930/discussions/0/558754900049895126/]

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
That's the game by those Bastion devs, right? Awesome, can't wait.

From a purely rational perspective, if it's the same product for the same price, there's no reason to buy it early. Other things equal, you always want to pay money later rather than earlier. Money paid later has a lower net present value, after all.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Is that really "gamer entitlement"? when you get nothing extra for it, you don't even get the game early why pre-purchase? is not that you deserve a bonus its just there isn't incentive to fork over cash sooner and before player reviews than later.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
It's entitlement because he had to say something. It isn't well enough for him to just wait for the game to release and then pay for the game when it's available to play. No, instead he had to throw a fit about how he needs extras to justify paying for the game; as-though $20 is going to appreciate so much in value over the next couple of weeks that only a moron would spend the money now without something extra to make-up for that lost value.

I'll grant though, that to some extent it isn't entirely his fault. His demands for "free first-day DLC" wreaks of him being spoiled by EA's "Project $10" or whatever they were calling it, and several other big-money publishers running similar schemes. Keep throwing a dog a treat, and eventually he'll just expect it.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It's entitlement because he had to say something. It isn't well enough for him to just wait for the game to release and then pay for the game when it's available to play. No, instead he had to throw a fit about how he needs extras to justify paying for the game; as-though $20 is going to appreciate so much in value over the next couple of weeks that only a moron would spend the money now without something extra to make-up for that lost value.

I'll grant though, that to some extent it isn't entirely his fault. His demands for "free first-day DLC" wreaks of him being spoiled by EA's "Project $10" or whatever they were calling it, and several other big-money publishers running similar schemes. Keep throwing a dog a treat, and eventually he'll just expect it.
Unless he throws a fit later in the thread all I saw was him asking a question. Really this is a minor thing to be where the hate from "entitlement" comes from.
Edit: Honesty with most products if they offered to me the option of paying now for nothing extra weeks before actually getting the product itself I would laugh at them and tell them to piss off.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Project $10 wasn't a treat. It was EA trying to lesson used sales by locking features behind pay walls. At it's best it was an annoying form of DRM, but it wasn't something you actually wanted or benefited from.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
So Transistor is finally available for pre-purchase on Steam. I couldn't jump on that bandwagon fast enough. Didn't even take 2 seconds to read the page except to confirm that there's a game+soundtrack bundle. Fuck'n. Sold. So I head to the forums to see if there's a way to get the soundtrack now, or if it'll have to wait until release, and the first topic I notice while skimming the topics is "Why pre-purchase?" with the body "[No] discount and nothing free."

Wow. Just wow. The best part? After a few people responded with reasons for why Transistor is worthy of a pre-order, he posted a reply saying, "I played it and it's quite [a] good game," (I would assume at a con, since I don't know of any downloadable beta) and then reaffirmed that it isn't worth pre-ordering without freebies or a discount. He admitted that it's a good game, but is seriously holding his purchase for ransom because he feels like he deserves some kind of bonus.

And people act surprised when there's talk of "gamer entitlement", and act all snarky like it's the most absurd thing they've ever heard? This is why.

Source [http://steamcommunity.com/app/237930/discussions/0/558754900049895126/]
Euhm, he does deserve a discount or freebie. Why? Because a pre-purchase is advantageous for the business. Why would you give more to the business for shits and giggles? Is it charity?

This really isn't entitlement but rather acting as a rational consumer. Why would you incite consumers to act weakly towards suppliers? What would you gain by suppliers not giving discounts or bonuses? I'm rather confused here, since when is applying a standard business practice "entitlement" (asking for discounts for earlier payments)?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
DementedSheep said:
Really this is a minor thing to be where the hate from "entitlement" comes from.
It's an example of the kind of mentality you see floating around several gaming forums. To fair, it isn't just a gamer thing, though. Anyone who's ever worked in a customer service job has at least one story along the theme of a customer practically acting like they own a store just because they bought a single item (and even sometimes when they haven't). It's admittedly debatable whether or not it's worse or better in the gaming community. Still, there's basis for why the term came about.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Dyre and Sheep nailed it pretty quick. Even if he threw a stomping fit about it, is he "entitled" to voice his views that he sees no reason to pre-order it? Developers aren't entitled to pre-purchases. I support the idea of pre-ordering as its essentially reserving a copy. But there is rarely a "need" for that. Hell, nowadays I salute companies for not shoving pre-order bonuses down our throats. But I ain't gonna pre-order to show gratitude or else it defeats the purpose. If the game truly is good, pre-orders are of little concern. Especially, if it is digitally ditributed.

So, I agree with him in that there isn't a need to do it.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
DementedSheep said:
Really this is a minor thing to be where the hate from "entitlement" comes from.
It's an example of the kind of mentality you see floating around several gaming forums. To fair, it isn't just a gamer thing, though. Anyone who's ever worked in a customer service job has at least one story along the theme of a customer practically acting like they own a store just because they bought a single item (and even sometimes when they haven't). It's admittedly debatable whether or not it's worse or better in the gaming community. Still, there's basis for why the term came about.
What kind of mentality? the kind where people are confused as to why other consumers are giving company money early for no actual benefit? I'm not getting the own you so you must do things my way vibe from this. I only skimmed the first page but I don't see him doing much. If he later starts blasting the devs or going on about being unfair then yes he's being whinny since the option itself doesn't doesn't hurt, wasn't even their idea and they don't have to give you pre order bonus it just makes sense business wise but making a thread asking why people are pre purchasing and discussing it a little? eh not really.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
nomotog said:
Project $10 wasn't a treat. It was EA trying to lesson used sales by locking features behind pay walls. At it's best it was an kind of annoying form of DRM, but never was it actually something you wanted or benefited from.
I know that, and you know that. To the lay person though, it was an extra goody that gets bundled-in with the product.

generals3 said:
Euhm, he does deserve a discount or freebie. Why? Because a pre-purchase is advantageous for the business. Why would you give more to the business for shits and giggles? Is it charity?

This really isn't entitlement but rather acting as a rational consumer.
Perhaps if this was several months in advance. In fact, one of the developers even replied (not to the topic I posted, he was quoted from somewhere else) saying more-or-less that they didn't see a point in offering a discount when the release is right around the corner. Perhaps they should have in order to get a slight boost in sales, but it comes back to the fact that they initially weren't even planning to put-up a pre-order. It's only there because people on the forums were asking for it, so they probably didn't put much thought into the matter since it wasn't part of their initial business plan. It's also debatable on whether or not we're giving them "more". Like I already said, that $20 isn't going to appreciate enough in value during 2 weeks to be worth a damn. Whether you give them $20 now or $20 on day one, it's the same value. Supergiant is hardly some min/maxing corporation who wants every dollar they can earn as soon as they can earn it.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
In fact, one of the developers even replied (not to the topic I posted, he was quoted from somewhere else) saying more-or-less that they didn't see a point in offering a discount when the release is right around the corner. Perhaps they should have in order to get a slight boost in sales, but it comes back to the fact that they initially weren't even planning to put-up a pre-order. It's only there because people on the forums were asking for it, so they probably didn't put much thought into the matter since it wasn't part of their initial business plan. It's also debatable on whether or not we're giving them "more".
So even SuperGiant themselves agree that there's no point to pre-ordering. They're only doing it because for some reason people want to. You actually have a stronger case saying the people wanting SuperGiant to allow pre-orders are acting "entitled".

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Like I already said, that $20 isn't going to appreciate enough in value during 2 weeks to be worth a damn. Whether you give them $20 now or $20 on day one, it's the same value. Supergiant is hardly some min/maxing corporation who wants every dollar they can earn as soon as they can earn it.
I beg to differ, many businesses would love to get paid two weeks earlier. It's still improving liquidity, offering the opportunity to invest that money two weeks earlier and offers more certainty regarding sales. And even if Supergiant doesn't fully appreciate the financial advantage that doesn't mean a consumer has to pay the price for their shortcomings, well, they can, but them not doing it is hardly a case of "entitlement".

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
generals3 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Like I already said, that $20 isn't going to appreciate enough in value during 2 weeks to be worth a damn. Whether you give them $20 now or $20 on day one, it's the same value. Supergiant is hardly some min/maxing corporation who wants every dollar they can earn as soon as they can earn it.
I beg to differ, many businesses would love to get paid two weeks earlier. It's still improving liquidity, offering the opportunity to invest that money two weeks earlier and offers more certainty regarding sales. And even if Supergiant doesn't fully appreciate the financial advantage that doesn't mean a consumer has to pay the price for their shortcomings, well, they can, but them not doing it is hardly a case of "entitlement".
In fact, adding to your point, if we ignore the gaming industry for a moment, it is a common practice among vendors to offer discounts for early payment of debts owed by their customers (usually other businesses in these cases). Generally debts are expected to be paid within 30 or 60 days, but vendors will might offer "2/15 net 30" terms or something of the sort; that is, a 2% discount if the payment is made within 15 days rather than the 30 day deadline.

Obviously, no business would accept "0/15 net 30" terms; if businesses expect a discount for early payment, why shouldn't consumers do the same?

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Games are products, the same as any other. They exist to serve PEOPLE not the other way around and as generals3 said why do you think that its a business practice which should be above reproach to expect people to pay up for a product (ANY product) BEFORE you get it and before you even SEE it? In what other product would this be considered acceptable? The only thing close I can think of is buying a house off the plans and there you get a discount for the fact its a garentieed sale and the fact you have to wait for it to be built rather than moving in straight away. Even then you don't pay the full amount, you pay a deposit with the rest Cash on Delivery

If you chose to do that then to be honest your screwing things up for the rest of us because your putting consumers in the weakest possible position rather than the strongest, instead of "customers are really everything" its now "customers should faun over game devs and publishers" and that's why we have shitty practices like microtransactions and always online

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I'm going to be really on the fence for this issue. To make a thread about it seems a bit odd, but there's no being a dickhead about it. As far as I can see Supergiant made preordering available because some people wanted them to, and I like many people are ignoring it until it's actually out to buy it. Yeah if there's no incentive to preorder some people will do it anyway and some won't, and some have got used to the idea that if there's a pre-order there will also be an incentive to do so.

It strikes me as a massive non-issue. Someone from Supergiant has said that they put it up because people asked them to, someone who evidently wasn't one of the people that asked them to has qustioned this, everyone was nice and had a beverage of choice and went home. Now we can all buy Transistor when we want, and it'll probably be pretty good.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Sorry people are being smart with their money and executing buyer beware strategies.

I mean, what is the suggestion here? That he should just pre-order and shut up? Money doesn't grow on trees, well, actually, it does considering paper is made out of trees and money is made out of paper, but people work hard for that shit, you know? It's not something to be spent lightly.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Racecarlock said:
Sorry people are being smart with their money and executing buyer beware strategies.

I mean, what is the suggestion here? That he should just pre-order and shut up? Money doesn't grow on trees, well, actually, it does considering paper is made out of trees and money is made out of paper, but people work hard for that shit, you know? It's not something to be spent lightly.
Don't be silly; everyone knows money grows from Federal Reserve printers!