Anecdata on the Downfall of North American Civilization

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Fellow Escapists,

Tonight, during a session of the 1 vs. 100 Live beta, one of the early questions read:

Which of the following did Benjamin Franklin NOT invent?

Bifocals, the Franklin stove, or Lightning
Over half of the audience believed Mr. Franklin did, in fact, invent lightning. These good people were of the opinion that a natural phenomenon for which several ancient civilizations had gods was an American invention.

Should I begin hoping for the Zerg and/or Borg to assimilate us now, before we slide any further down the slope, or is there some other way to restore my faith in humanity?

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Restore faith?
<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM02oyWWxNY>That's what Dream Theater is for.

People are idiots, get over it.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
So, wait, you're telling me I got that question wrong?

But seriously, there really is not much hope left for humanity. Luckily, we have kittens. Kittens are cute and tend to make us better people. So, I would say to restore your faith look at pictures of kittens.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
nimrandir said:
Fellow Escapists,

Tonight, during a session of the 1 vs. 100 Live beta, one of the early questions read:

Over half of the audience believed Mr. Franklin did, in fact, invent lightning. These good people were of the opinion that a natural phenomenon for which several ancient civilizations had gods was an American invention.

Should I begin hoping for the Zerg and/or Borg to assimilate us now, before we slide any further down the slope, or is there some other way to restore my faith in humanity?
That reminds me, didnt america claim ownership over outer space? If so, that makes me wish for extraterrestrials to show and bomb/lazer/zap the hell out of the white house like in independance day.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
RebelRising said:
Please tell me the wording of the question was fumbled.

Please.
I may not have worded the question verbatim, but the word 'not' was definitely capitalized in the onscreen text. I was flabbergasted when I was the only member of my quartet of players to get the thing right; it only got worse when Chris Cashman informed us of the overall failure rate.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The Borg only assimilate technology that is of interest to them. I guess we'll end up as biomass for The Swarm.

As much as I'd like to point my finger and laugh, the general European populace isn't much smarter nowadays.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Idiots... he didn't invent lighting he invented kites. Gosh thats like philosophy 101 right there.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
That is why we have a class system that one can go up and down it.

We weed out the lesser humans. After all not all men are equal.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
Biek said:
nimrandir said:
Fellow Escapists,

That reminds me, didnt america claim ownership over outer space? If so, that makes me wish for extraterrestrials to show and bomb/lazer/zap the hell out of the white house like in independance day.
no, i think there is actualy a law that says that outer space belongs to everyone.

read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
It's an easy mistake to make. Franklin was pretty hardcore. I mean, did you know Ben Franklin and Chuck Norris are locked in an eternal struggle for the soul of mankind?

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
Calobi said:

But seriously, there really is not much hope left for humanity. Luckily, we have kittens. Kittens are cute and tend to make us better people. So, I would say to restore your faith look at pictures of kittens.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
vampirekid.13 said:
Calobi said:

Gaaah, toxoplasmosis, away with it, get it off me!

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
Calobi said:

This.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
nimrandir said:
Well, he did famously discover that lightning was a form of static discharge by flying a kite in a thunderstorm. It's kind of reasonable that someone would just see lightning, and read too much into it. Like I frequently do on True/False questions on tests.

Sauvastika said:
It's an easy mistake to make. Franklin was pretty hardcore. I mean, did you know Ben Franklin and Chuck Norris are locked in an eternal struggle for the soul of mankind?
Or this.