Angry Birds Gets Medieval On Your Apps

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Angry Birds Gets Medieval On Your Apps

Angry Birds is heading in a distinctly "epic" direction with a new... something.

Art thou prepared for an epic quest of swords, sorcery, and aggressive avians? It seems Angry Birds developer Rovio is working on a mysterious new addition to their mobile games line-up. Having thoroughly explored the sci-fi setting with Angry Birds Star Wars, the series looks to be heading in the opposite direction with a classic fantasy game.

This new project is still esoteric for now, with precious few details to go off of besides the above teaser trailer. Rovio did publish a video at the dawn of the new year, mentioning that the Angry Birds might learn some new tricks in 2014, and this could be what the studio was foreshadowing. That video included graffiti of the birds in a high fantasy setting, complete with a knight, archer, and wizard.

Rovio is keeping quiet, saying only to "wait and see." Today's teaser video is titled "The next epic Angry Birds game..." and comes with a suitably vague description. "Perhaps the most Epic soft launch ever - whatever that means!? Starting in Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Other countries to follow!"

If you're in one of those locations, keep an eye out for news from Rovio; it will be interesting to see where the studio is going with this. There are plenty of "destroy the castle" physics games that use the medieval theme, and Angry Birds drew heavily from their gameplay when it made its debut. I guess we'll have to "wait and see" what new twists Rovio has in store for the setting.

Source: Pocket Gamer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Nh92eGP8I]

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
How is angry birds popular, still?

I mean, I played the game it shamelessly ripped off about five years ago. For about half an hour. Because that's all the time you need before the idea has completely lost it's novelty.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
DjinnFor said:

I mean, I played the game it shamelessly ripped off about five years ago. For about half an hour. Because that's all the time you need before the idea has completely lost it's novelty.
What game is that, and also, I disagree. I would say about half an hour followed by 20 minutes for each spin-off, because sometimes the new mechanics are actually fun.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Where there's a popular IP, there's an army of shameless cash-in sequels to milk whatever little life it has left for excess money. It's just the way of things.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
DjinnFor said:

What game is that, and also, I disagree. I would say about half an hour followed by 20 minutes for each spin-off, because sometimes the new mechanics are actually fun.
I believe he is referring to [a href="http://www.physicsgames.net/game/Crush_the_Castle.html"]Crush the Castle[/a], basically the exact same game except it came out about a year earlier and even had a sequel and many other copycats by the time Angry Birds came out. In fact by the time Angry Birds saw the light of day this was practically it's own little genre. Why Angry Birds became a huge success while all these others remained in obscurity is beyond me, maybe it's the cartoony aesthetic or maybe it just got lucky.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
DjinnFor said:

The same way Mario was popular back in the 80s - They might have not invented the genre, but they were able to polish it to a point that it stuck out far beyond the others. Combine that with an aggressive marketing campaign - Which Nintendo also did with Mario - And you've got something that a company wants to cling onto for as long as they can.

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
So they show absolutely no gameplay and just some generic armor teaser with text describing stuff...I'm not impressed. Please go the way of Flappy Bird, Angry Birds.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
So it's angry birds reskinned with a fantasy/medieval theme. 'Mystery' solved.
Or a fantasy/medieval game reskinned with an Angry Birds theme, like a Final Fantasy Tactics style game, except simplified and with birds for units. One or the other.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Olas said:
I believe he is referring to [a href="http://www.physicsgames.net/game/Crush_the_Castle.html"]Crush the Castle[/a], basically the exact same game except it came out about a year earlier and even had a sequel and many other copycats by the time Angry Birds came out. In fact by the time Angry Birds saw the light of day this was practically it's own little genre. Why Angry Birds became a huge success while all these others remained in obscurity is beyond me, maybe it's the cartoony aesthetic or maybe it just got lucky.
Well I think in that case Angry Birds was just a very polished example of the genre and that's why it got popular, along with the sense of humour and (possibly) marketing. It's a dead horse now though.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I absolutely love the angry birds games (I have ad-free versions on my phone which have been rebalanced to have the microtransactions taken out), with the only exceptions being Star Wars II and that racing game (too much 'unlockable with code' content). While the release will be delayed for my phone platform, I'd like some new angry birds to play (or even just some updates for the ones I have).

captcha: instantly skip (how ironic)

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
DjinnFor said:

Assuming you're talking about Crush the Castle, I've played both and Angry Birds has a distinctly better feel to it. Not that it's any leaping innovation in the nature of the game, just polished such that the act of playing feels better and more satisfying. I can't for the life of me find the link to the piece I saw explaining it, but there's some careful design work that's gone into creating that effect and hats off to them, it worked.