Angry Birds Officially Coming to Theaters

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Xiado said:
This just makes me think that a Castle Crashers movie would be a good idea.
Actually, I would pay to see a Castle Crashers movie. This? Not so much.

OT: The problem with an Angry Birds movie is exactly that: it's an Angry Birds movie. Movies like Pokemon or The Simpsons were build upon a popular franchise that could easily afford to come up with a believable plot in order to make a movie (Mysterious Pokemon, random shenanigans, etc.). But Angry Birds? All the do is destroy stuff. it would be an extended version of the intro movie. And I know all movies based off cartoons/games are actually a re-adaptation of its original work but...seriously?

I mean, with the other movies, you know it's a desperate attempt from companies to make more money out of a nice franchise but this movie doesn't even try to hide it.

Also, will Angry birds be as popular as it is now when it comes out? Tune in to find out!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Just like when "facebook: The Motion Picture" was released we are, as a species, the lesser for it.

DrunkOnEstus said:
I'm pretty sure Angry Birds can be classified as a fad, which I assume means you gotta cash in quick while there's still interest. With Phone gaming still pretty much in its infancy and the next new big thing around the corner, I'm not so sure that Angry Birds will be in 2016 what it is today. It strikes me as similar to that Napoleon Dynamite TV show releasing years after everyone who did enjoy the movie quit giving a shit.
As a "fad" it's been lasting and lucrative though.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
*The worlds Largest Facepalm*

Are we really at this point? REALLY!?!

One need only look at how fucking awful that Battleship movie was to see how well this'll turn out.

Captcha: slythy toves.

Yes Captcha, you actually make more sense than this fucking... thing.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Angry birds has enough of a story to warrant a film? I guess that wont matter if they get Michal Bay to direct it or one of his imitators to direct it.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
What a depressing waste of time and resources, a terrible idea in every aspect but the marketing prospects, which is unfortunately the only one that counts in this day and age.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Sad thing is, this will be a HUGE summer blockbuster that kids drag their parents to see. It'll be panned by critics but do SUPER well the first week in box offices. Just you wait.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
kburns10 said:
Sad thing is, this will be a HUGE summer blockbuster that kids drag their parents to see. It'll be panned by critics but do SUPER well the first week in box offices. Just you wait.
Oh, I don't doubt it, considering nowadays I see more people wearing Angry Birds shirts/hats than any other type of pop culture merch.

I've never really understood the whole Angry Birds thing. It's a temporary distraction while waiting in a line, and that's it. The concept has been done a million times before, it just looks prettier.

Than again, Avatar was pretty popular too :/

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States

Yeah that video pretty accurately describes my feelings on this, in a way that words could never do.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
As I have said before, I hope to God the original developers made the game and quickly got out of decision making roles because the amount of soul selling that goes on in this franchise has probably made most of the core team the devil's personal ass whippers.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Berithil said:
kburns10 said:
Oh, I don't doubt it, considering nowadays I see more people wearing Angry Birds shirts/hats than any other type of pop culture merch.

I've never really understood the whole Angry Birds thing. It's a temporary distraction while waiting in a line, and that's it. The concept has been done a million times before, it just looks prettier.

Than again, Avatar was pretty popular too :/
It's absolutely NUTS! I guess you could say Avatar and Angry Birds are on par popularity wise, but this thing EXPLODED! For a game I've played maybe an hour TOTAL ever, it caught on like wildfire. Kinda like the Wii all over again, except it doesn't look to be flaming out anytime soon.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
kburns10 said:
It's absolutely NUTS! I guess you could say Avatar and Angry Birds are on par popularity wise, but this thing EXPLODED! For a game I've played maybe an hour TOTAL ever, it caught on like wildfire. Kinda like the Wii all over again, except it doesn't look to be flaming out anytime soon.
The Avatar comparison is actually a pretty good one, considering both movie and game are essentially beautified versions of concepts that have been done a million times before.

Neither I.P. brings anything actually innovative to the plate, just better looking visuals.

At least Avatar actually had a story though.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Can anyone else remember a game studio funding it's own movie?

Yeah... I'm hoping this'll crash and burn too.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
gardian06 said:
I honestly totally agree with you on most of those issues, particularly the silent protagonist bits. However I still feel like they could make a movie in some game universes that could portray story that couldn't really make a fun game; using Bioshock as an example, Andrew Ryan's founding of Rapture and conflicts with Frank Fontaine could make a much better movie than it could a game.

But the real point is that it's a shame that Angry Birds (though it's good, for what it does), is getting so much cross-media attention whereas other arguably more deserving series are not.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Yep. Everyone was ready to bring up the Rooster Teeth video. First post, no less.

There's also supposed to be a Space Invaders movie. Let's see if that turns out any better. Also, why does it take... what, 4-6 years to make a film out of something so simplistic... unless they actually are taking the Rooster Teeth route, which wouldn't actually be much of a surprise.
Berithil said:
kburns10 said:
The Avatar comparison is actually a pretty good one, considering both movie and game are essentially beautified versions of concepts that have been done a million times before.

Neither I.P. brings anything actually innovative to the plate, just better looking visuals.

At least Avatar actually had a story though.
Join us for the videogame that will ride the film's success... Angry Birds: Avatar!

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
^

Angry Birds: Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Stargate

Angry Birds XVI: The Search for More Money

Angry Birds XXVII: Pearl Harbor (too soon?)

Angry Birds 2110: The Battle For Bird New York

A'tuin

May 6, 2013
kburns10 said:
You have no idea how popular the Angry Birds are in Finland (where Angry Birds were created). Skin creams, cakes, fishing equipment, theme parks, everything. Angry Birds soda was more popular than Coke or Pepsi for a while. There are over 25 000 AB products. Kids who have never played it are fans of Angry Birds. And the best part? I know a baby whose first words were "Angry birds" (actually it sounded more like "anry pirts" but anyway)