Angry Music Spreads Hate and Aggression ?!?!?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That list is daft. I can't take it seriously when the authour has no clue on what sampling is. What really put me off is his or her claim that Kanye West claims that the songs he made are his. Kanye West is the only mainstream musician that references and plays with the artist he or she sampled as far as I know. He puts them in the music video. The song cover. And plays with them at the Grammys.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
"Music is meant to inspire peace and a sense of community"

Surely this is all I need to say, this single quote illustrates how misguided the author is.
Lynyrd Skynyrd also clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
I listen to mostly 'Satanic' Black Metal, Viking metal and death meal and yet I am one of the soppiest, geekiest, bubbliest girls you will ever meet.
Music can be blamed for a lot of things. But I can not believe anyone has any tangeable evidance that it causes people to be agressive and violent.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Angry metal usually makes me feel happy, not aggressive.
Never really had that effect on me. Angry music is just angry music to me. I don't believe it spreads hate and aggression though.

[sub][sub]There's like only one angry song I listen to anyway and it's VGM from Streets of Simcity.[/sub][/sub]

Odd Owl

Oct 21, 2011
"There's hardly anything more crass than making music about food. Whether it be in a jingle for Subway or McDonald?s, or in a Jimmy Buffet song, emoting about what you enjoy stuffing in your gourd is as gluttonous as gluttony gets, and completely American. Who else derives so much inspiration from their fat gut? You don?t hear Indian songs about curry . . . "

What?! The musical value of Subway's jingles aside, "Margaritaville" is a CLASSIC. And I have no idea whether Indians sing about curry, but I know plenty of Irish tunes about various alcoholic beverages.

Damn trolls. //shakes fist

Red Bomb said:
I listen to mostly 'Satanic' Black Metal, Viking metal and death meal and yet I am one of the soppiest, geekiest, bubbliest girls you will ever meet.
Music can be blamed for a lot of things. But I can not believe anyone has any tangeable evidance that it causes people to be agressive and violent.
There's such a thing as Viking Metal? Would you please provide an example or a link. I would love to hear that.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Redlin5 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Never really had that effect on me. Angry music is just angry music to me. I don't believe it spreads hate and aggression though.
Agreed. It's angry, but unless you're very impressionable it shouldn't make you actually want to do something stupid.

For example, while this song could get a crowd going I doubt that it's gonna cause anybody to "kill people, burn shit and fuck school".

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I also love how they even manage to squeeze in an implication that doom caused columbine. Well done.

Anyway, yeah, this is kind of old. I thought we were past the whole "Manson is evil and corrupting our children! WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK THE CHILDREN!?" bullshit. Oh well.

Nov 7, 2009
Squarez said:
Redlin5 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Agreed. It's angry, but unless you're very impressionable it shouldn't make you actually want to do something stupid.

For example, while this song could get a crowd going I doubt that it's gonna cause anybody to "kill people, burn shit and fuck school".

Golf wang represent.

shadow_Fox81 said:
Unabletothinkofname said:
AD-Stu said:
lacktheknack said:
When I find a good gathering of friendly metalheads (people on the internet do not count), I'll stop believing it.
Um... you'll find it at pretty much any proper metal gig you go to, anywhere in the world. Metalheads are, by and large, a friendly and fun-loving species
This. Metalheads are the friendliest people in the world.
sorry but ironmaiden fans are not friendly

other than that i would generally agree
OH GOD WHAT

Iron Maiden are the best band in the universe and their fans are the best too. When I saw them I made about 20 friends last night just from signing along and being in awe that Iron FUCKING Maiden were playing in front of us.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Huh, I always find that 'angry' music is the musical equivalent of a stress ball. It lets out energy but it's not directed at anyone, in fact I'd say it stops me from breaking people's faces every now and again. If I let out my anger by bashing away on an instrument or moshing away to some Anthrax, I'm a hell of a lot less likely to be angry the rest of the time.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Unabletothinkofname said:
Also:
"We want to challenge Marilyn Manson and the rap people with the bad lyrics to write some positive songs"
"We want to challenge Marilyn Manson and the rap people with the bad lyrics"
"rap people with the bad lyrics"
"rap people"

Rednecks. :/
"Rap people". Why am I laughing so hard at those 2 words right now?

The author really has no clue, does he? "Music is meant to inspire peace and a sense of community", indeed. Obviously, you would know all about music, wouldn't you, Mr. generic internet blogger #43000?

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
When I find a good gathering of friendly metalheads (people on the internet do not count), I'll stop believing it.
They are some of the friendliess people you could ever meet, at least I've always thought so, never met a mean tempered one yet.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Huh. All the chilled-out Meshuggah fans I know must have a festering pile f mutilated corpses at home, in that case. Laws of physics and all that.

Wamble

Oct 18, 2011
Yep, and listening to country-music causes suicide. [http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?collection=journals&handle=hein.journals/josf71&div=19&id=&page=]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
dlsevern said:
lacktheknack said:
They are some of the friendliess people you could ever meet, at least I've always thought so, never met a mean tempered one yet.
Tell me where to find them. The ones I've met in high-school and university, and even the one in church, have all been firmly on the "not" side of the friendly scale.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
Anywhere, I don't know where you live but no matter which city I've been to, the metalheads are always the friendliest. Maybe its you, I don't know you so I can't say that you're not a nice person but perhaps its your personality. Do you make fun of them or talk down to them?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Les Awesome said:
http://listverse.com/2011/11/03/top-10-inappropriate-uses-of-music/

Now this really pushes my buttons
You:

1. Allowed yourself to be offended by just one person's opinion
2. Linked the article, bringing it to a wider audience

The score currently is him 2, you nil. Sure, the author's an idiot and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, but people like this are better off ignored.

Music can be used by anyone, for anything, and anyone who doesn't think so is simply wrong. I guess Guantanamo is proof of that, but then ANY sound in that context would have the same effect.

Aaron Frederick

Jun 9, 2011
ive always looked at music this way, (Im definitely a metalhead but im definitely not angry/agressive because of it).

You are a rock in a river, and the water of that river is your life experiences and the music you listen too, The rougher the water, the smoother the rock becomes.

However you can weather the rock to the point where it cracks, but if your water is all smooth and nice and calm then your rock is left with all these sharp points and edges.

Do i make any sense?