Animal Crossing Drops The N-Bomb

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
Easykill said:
If you have such a bad sense of humour, at least be careful not to include it in the release thingie. This guy deserves to lose his job for stupidity, even if he really isn't a racist.
If this person hadn't discovered it the result from releasing this worldwide then having a child discover it would have been a lot worse.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Don't you just love it when little nubcakes get up-in-arms about pathetic words and sex in video-games, then go off to blow up each other in Halo? I just can't believe that someone would whine about this. In Fallout 3 I could call my character anything I wanted and suddenly it'd be Bethseda's fault? Jesus christ, you coulda wasted my time with something better, like how violent video-games make you into a killer.

Molikroth

Nov 1, 2008
I'm getting extremely sick of people viewing certain words as inherently insulting. "******" was/is one of them, despite attempts by the black community to "reclaim" it. If people stopped treating these words as unspeakable, a generation would grow up with no swearing and thus no excuse to get offended by a word let slip in their vicinity.

An example of what I mean: I've "cursed" on buses and been threatened with bodily violence merely because a child was present. If I'd grown up in a society where "bastard" hadn't been bastardized to the point its application is an insult regardless of whether or not your parents were married, there'd be one less way to insult thousands of people and get up the backs of angry mothers.

My point is that "nigga" has been successfully "reclaimed". Black people call each other "Nigga", gay people call each other "fags" and the only people that get offended are last generation and/or stupid.

Stop treating situations like this news as a big deal and they'll stop being a big deal. Problem solved.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Slayer_2 said:
Don't you just love it when little nubcakes get up-in-arms about pathetic words and sex in video-games, then go off to blow up each other in Halo? I just can't believe that someone would whine about this. In Fallout 3 I could call my character anything I wanted and suddenly it'd be Bethseda's fault? Jesus christ, you coulda wasted my time with something better, like how violent video-games make you into a killer.
Right on the money. Also: "This material won't show up in the retail version of the game, as the characters have to be trained by players to say things,"
so what's the big deal here...?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I agree (somewhat). A word can be used ironically, but if it isn't it can, carry the weight of hundreds of years of conflict and carnage. This clearly is a case of ironic use, but I still find it amusing that nintendo of all companies let this through, considering how picky they are about family-friendly content.

TerribleTerryTate

Feb 4, 2008
I don't see how this is any different to the countless racist names you encounter on any FPS multiplayer game. From what I understand, this is a player who has trained the character to say this. If that's the case, what's the problem here? Have I missed something?

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
Molikroth said:
I'm getting extremely sick of people viewing certain words as inherently insulting. "******" was/is one of them, despite attempts by the black community to "reclaim" it. If people stopped treating these words as unspeakable, a generation would grow up with no swearing and thus no excuse to get offended by a word let slip in their vicinity.

An example of what I mean: I've "cursed" on buses and been threatened with bodily violence merely because a child was present. If I'd grown up in a society where "bastard" hadn't been bastardized to the point its application is an insult regardless of whether or not your parents were married, there'd be one less way to insult thousands of people and get up the backs of angry mothers.

My point is that "nigga" has been successfully "reclaimed". Black people call each other "Nigga", gay people call each other "fags" and the only people that get offended are last generation and/or stupid.

Stop treating situations like this news as a big deal and they'll stop being a big deal. Problem solved.
How has it been "reclaimed"?

I sincerely respect my black lecturer and I'm pretty sure if anyone approached him and said it he would be deeply offended.

The people who get offended by it are neither last generation or stupid they are the ones with dignity and respect.

EDIT: Since I condoned it in the other topic let me explain. When it's aimed at people it's offensive, I did find the picture to be incredibly hilarious.

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
Jesus; it really says something that the controversy here needs to be explained.

These were press copies of the game. Nintendo handed out these copies of the game as representative of the company.

This is not just random shit that some kid blurted out on-line. It is how Nintendo is advertising itself.

And, no, we cannot simply decide that words no longer give offense, and, no, this word has not been reclaimed at all.

But even if we could change the effects of words so easily, this particular one has not been changed yet.

Not good publicity.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
I'm sure worse things happen in people's personal games, but this became newsworthy when some jackass who played the game decided to make it more "interesting." It's not just some random guy. They sent copies of this game out with this on it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Okay, a lot of people aren't actually reading the article, so let's clarify:

Yes, the animals can be taught any words, BUT... this particular word was taught to the sheep in a prepared media release. Meaning it was taught BY Nintendo, or at least someone at Nintendo.

Molikroth

Nov 1, 2008
ThePlasmatizer said:
How has it been "reclaimed"?

I sincerely respect my black lecturer and I'm pretty sure if anyone approached him and said it he would be deeply offended.

The people who get offended by it are neither last generation or stupid they are the ones with dignity and respect.
I forget the name of that black guy who does the hip rap. It's something to do with money.

Anyway, yeah, count the amount of times he says "******" in his songs.

As I said, if people are still offended by an archaic term that sees more use today as a synonym for "person" among their community, they're stupid. Seizing at any opportunity to be offended irritates me to no end whether it's black guys, old people or religious nuts.

I'm bisexual and have no problem with the terms "queer", "fag" "depraved monster" and the rest of the petty labels you guys (i.e. society in general, not these forums) fling at me, and certainly don't have a problem when they're used in another context - for example, here in Glasgow "fag" sees more use as a slang term for cigarrette than as an attempt to insult gay people.

data_not_found

Nov 12, 2008
You know, I'd like it if Nintendo made more explicit, M-rated games. Perhaps the n word isn't quite what I had in mind, but hell, I'll take it if that means that the next mario game will have more gore than gears of g- er- war when you curbstomp the bad guys. Yeah, I know that it's user created, but maybe nintendo wants to be mature and give mario a pair of balls so his voice drops down to a tolerable pitch.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WAit, I'm confused, so do the players make the guys say different things they type in or something?

Or did someone at Nintendo, while working on this game, make this remark avaiable to teach to the folks of Crossing?

I'm confused.