Animal Crossing's Villager Earns A Menacing Fan-Made Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Animal Crossing's Villager Earns A Menacing Fan-Made Trailer

Animal Crossing is easily Nintendo's most sinister series, and with its protagonist joining the next Super Smash Bros. title, it's only fitting that he receive an appropriately foreboding trailer.

It's rare that I opt to report on any fan-made efforts as, to be perfectly honest with you all, they're generally not very good. "Terrible" is a word one could use, if one were cool with making others cry. Normally that's the direction I'd go, but this Super Smash Bros. trailer crafted by YouTube user "SUPERMARIOGALAXY13" just works so very, very well so I'm in a weirdly positive mood.

On the other hand, who first got the idea that everything in the bright, sunny world of Animal Crossing has a terrible dark side? Yes, Tom Nook wants your precious bells, but the dude doesn't even charge any interest on your home loan! In the real world that would make him a saint, except that even saints are rarely that generous. If anything he's a rich, eccentric type with a terminal condition, but there's nothing all that sinister in that.

Likewise, the Villager is a happy go lucky kid with dreams of catching fish and gathering peaches that look suspiciously like butts. There's no reason to suspect he harbors a cold, calculating side that goes all Patrick Bateman on the other villagers while your 3DS is in sleep mode. Don't get me wrong: I love the concept, and desperately wish I'd fire my system up one day to find him spattered in blood and hastily burying Phyllis behind the Mayor's Office, but that's just wishful thinking. Worryingly grim wishful thinking.

We're all horrible for enjoying this clip.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S3JcEra8Ni0#!])

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I don't know why the internet has started portaying the villager as some sort of serial killer...

Apr 28, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
I don't know why the internet has started portaying the villager as some sort of serial killer...

Neither do I, but I love it as well.

Oct 2, 2012
Tom Nook has you fooled Mr. Cavalli.
He's a mob boss, he doesn't do the hits himself anymore.
The villager is his hit man, and we're all on his list.

[sub]I owe him so many bells...[/sub]

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
Mr. Omega said:

It... it's that smile man..... that smile.....
And those eyes... those blank, dead eyes.....

You haven't seen him around here, have you?

You'd tell me if you did, right?

Right?

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Woah. Never thought of SUPERMARIOGALAXY13's video being newsworthy. This has gotta be pretty flattering.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Earnest Cavalli said:
On the other hand, who first got the idea that everything in the bright, sunny world of Animal Crossing has a terrible dark side? Yes, Tom Nook wants your precious bells, but the dude doesn't even charge any interest on your home loan! In the real world that would make him a saint, except that even saints are rarely that generous. If anything he's a rich, eccentric type with a terminal condition, but there's nothing all that sinister in that.
You have no choice in the matter. You get to the village and are told you owe him money for the house, not knowing if you're getting ripped off or not. After you finish one loan, you are again forced to take out a loan. Tom Nook is shady as all get out.

Plus he looks kinda shifty.