Animated Dead Space Short Introduces a New Character

Dec 14, 2009
Freechoice said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Gee, I sure hope an engineer shows up to fix that mess.

He solves practical problems.
Hey look, buddy. I'm an engineer ? that means I solve problems.
Not problems like 'What is beauty?' because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

I solve practical problems.

Like how do you stop some big mean necromorph from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

The answer?

Use a mineral cutter.

And if that don't work? Use more mineral cutter.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Freechoice said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Gee, I sure hope an engineer shows up to fix that mess.

He solves practical problems.
Hey look, buddy. I'm an engineer ? that means I solve problems.
Not problems like 'What is beauty?' because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

I solve practical problems.

Like how do you stop some big mean necromorph from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

The answer?

Use a mineral cutter.

And if that don't work? Use more mineral cutter.
Like this...

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/dead-space-plasma-cutter-2.jpg

211-V, hand-held little beauty.

Designed by me. Built by me.

And you'd best hope...not pointed at you.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Emiscary said:
Also they all waste your money/time, so there's a common theme!

:)
Except I enjoy the DS series so its not really a waste (although you could say that technically all games are a waste of time) of anything, and I personally prefer the story, combat and controls compared to RE4.

OT: I'm glad to be building up to DS3 after the cliffhanger ending to DS2, but I don't like the new character much, his motivation is the same as Issac's but with an awful stereotypical "gruff badass" personalty and that combined with some of the rumors from the link in the article makes me worried that EA has totally lost sight of what made Dead Space good in the first place.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
I don't pretend to be an expert in city planning, or indeed anything, but why exactly is the alien monolith that causes violent dementia and reanimates corpses as alien zombies sitting exposed in the middle of the city? Ah well, what's the worst that could happen?

In all honesty, I like Dead Space, but I kind of hope that this Co-op focus idea gets scrapped. It didn't work for RE5 or FEAR3 and time has not sweetened the idea.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I really hope that the sergant is the co-op sidekick and not Isaac.

Eric Morales said:
I don't pretend to be an expert in city planning, or indeed anything, but why exactly is the alien monolith that causes violent dementia and reanimates corpses as alien zombies sitting exposed in the middle of the city? Ah well, what's the worst that could happen?

In all honesty, I like Dead Space, but I kind of hope that this Co-op focus idea gets scrapped. It didn't work for RE5 or FEAR3 and time has not sweetened the idea.
I am not 100% sure but I think that the general public doesn't know about the whole "Marker makes people go insane and makes zombie aliens". Though most of the higher ups does atleast now some of it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JohnDoey said:
RJ 17 said:
:p This series has been absolutely riddled with plot-holes and inconsistencies from the very start.
Plot holes like?
Jay444111 said:
RJ 17 said:
:p This series has been absolutely riddled with plot-holes and inconsistencies from the very start.
Umm... what plotholes. Because I searched and searched, and there are none. Other than the animated movie which made the marker bigger and do something different. (the movie considered completely non-canon) Proves that you only got it right in that movie. But the rest of the series has no plotholes. Again. people use words that they do not understand.
I used to have a full list, but it's been so long. Off the top of my head I recall thinking it was incredibly lame how you have to spend section of DS 1 guarding your ghost-wife (who you think is still alive) as she opens a door for you.

1: Why are very real necromorphs going after your hallucination/ghost wife?

2: How can she die - and lead to a game over - if she's been dead the whole time and is a ghost/hallucination?

3: How can a ghost/hallucination work a computer to unlock a door in the first place?

Then there's the confusion about the Marker itself. According to a bonus research log you get for starting a New Game + on DS 1, the Marker emits some kind of signal or field that forces Necromorphs into dormancy (as seen in the prequel movie, the Marker appears to have a force-field around it that the Necromorph's can't get past). It is suspected, therefor, that the Marker was placed on the planet quite specifically to act as a prison for Hivemind, ensuring that it stays locked away and dormant. Soooooooo why is your dead wife - an avatar for the Necromorphs'/Hivemind's will - urging you to take the Marker back, "make them whole", and free Hivemind (if indeed the Marker was its prison). If it wasn't its prison, then what was the Marker doing on the planet at all? And why wasn't Hivemind already on a rampage when humans first arrived there?

:p Don't get me wrong, guys, I really liked the DS games (I think going through the Scientology Church was my favorite part of both games) and will likely play this new one. Just saying the story isn't 100% solid.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, just for sticking with the ice world concept Visceral might have earned EA some lunch money from me.

RJ 17 said:
Then there's the confusion about the Marker itself. According to a bonus research log you get for starting a New Game + on DS 1, the Marker emits some kind of signal or field that forces Necromorphs into dormancy (as seen in the prequel movie, the Marker appears to have a force-field around it that the Necromorph's can't get past). It is suspected, therefor, that the Marker was placed on the planet quite specifically to act as a prison for Hivemind, ensuring that it stays locked away and dormant. Soooooooo why is your dead wife - an avatar for the Necromorphs'/Hivemind's will - urging you to take the Marker back, "make them whole", and free Hivemind (if indeed the Marker was its prison). If it wasn't its prison, then what was the Marker doing on the planet at all? And why wasn't Hivemind already on a rampage when humans first arrived there?
Some things that i think are worth noting here. As well as some of my own speculation.

The original Marker would only pacify necromorphs if it was on its pedastal.

Due to this the Hivemind on the plannet was free when Isacc landed, and was surpressed briefly when he ferried the Marker back to its pedastal.

As for the Hivemind not being there to begin with, i point to something from Dead Space 2, namely the "Convergence". I believe that this is the event through which a Hivemind is actually formed. If true, then the original markers "Convergence" either happened offscreen after enough humans on the plannet surface had been Necromorph'd, or long before the events of the first game.

Another theory that i came up with was that the existing Necromorphs in the first game went beserk due to the marker being taken, it would certainly explain why the Hivemind didnt just paste you as you came down and waited to attack until the marker was stolen again.

The "Make us whole", and its rather different meanings between the two main games, required a bit of brainstorming.

In the first game, i specifically remember it was "Make us whole again" which implies that the Necromorphs on the plannet were "whole" when the Ishimura arrived at the plannet. Its also worth noting that chaos didnt start breaking out until the marker was removed.

In the second game, it carried a different meaning because the black marker had not achieved convergence like the red marker had. It was also stated by "Nicole" that for the convergence to be completed Isacc had to die and join them because he was the one who biult the black marker. Isacc couldnt have known any of this because when he biult the black marker he was drugged and possibly brainwashed, else i suspect he wouldnt have biult the black marker.

I think that covers all the points in the quoted paragraph.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
RJ 17 said:
JohnDoey said:
RJ 17 said:
Plot holes like?
Jay444111 said:
RJ 17 said:
Umm... what plotholes. Because I searched and searched, and there are none. Other than the animated movie which made the marker bigger and do something different. (the movie considered completely non-canon) Proves that you only got it right in that movie. But the rest of the series has no plotholes. Again. people use words that they do not understand.
I used to have a full list, but it's been so long. Off the top of my head I recall thinking it was incredibly lame how you have to spend section of DS 1 guarding your ghost-wife (who you think is still alive) as she opens a door for you.

1: Why are very real necromorphs going after your hallucination/ghost wife?

2: How can she die - and lead to a game over - if she's been dead the whole time and is a ghost/hallucination?

3: How can a ghost/hallucination work a computer to unlock a door in the first place?

:p Don't get me wrong, guys, I really liked the DS games (I think going through the Scientology Church was my favorite part of both games) and will likely play this new one. Just saying the story isn't 100% solid.
The Markers function is not a plothole because besides the interfacing with the Hive mind and creating Necromorphs we the players even with the supplemental material know jack shit about. Also frankly as much as I like the series I have to admit even with the truckload of supplemental media the majority of the supposed backstory is inferred stuff and agreed upon fan theories most of the stuff on the Marker and Hive Mind is up for argument.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Awesome!!!

Caotcha: that's it

It really is all I have to say, loved the first two games, looking forward to this one!

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
That wasn't an EMP, that was the signal the marker gives off turning organic matter into necromorphs. it's in the books. I'm geussing evrybody in residentals dead or undead.

Also i'm also guessing that throughout the whole entire game we're going to have him screaming "WHERE'S MY WIFE?!"