Animated GIFs Visually Explain Every Super Mario Bros. Glitch

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Animated GIFs Visually Explain Every Super Mario Bros. Glitch

A handy guide to the bugs found in Super Mario Bros. uses animation for better understanding.

TASVideos, a website dedicated to tool-assisted videogame movies, has compiled a neat Super Mario Bros. glitch page that provides graphical examples of the game's bugs that could potentially be used in a speedrun. The tricks might be nearly impossible to perform in real-time play, but it's interesting to see some of the inner workings of Nintendo's classic game.

Did you know that Mario has the ability to perform a walljump? Sure, he officially started with the technique in Mario 64 [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-64-DS-Nintendo/dp/B0006B0O9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291913462&sr=8-1], but he could do it back in the days of the NES too. The glitch page shows Mario's walljump in action, and explains that it works through a floor check when Mario jumps into a wall with his feet precisely at a block boundary. If you somehow muster the ability to do one while playing Super Mario Bros., now you know why it happened.

The page also shows off a couple of flagpole glitches, teleportation bugs, and Mario's ability to phase through walls: fairly standard stuff. The coolest ones available so far though are Mario's "moustache stomp," one-foot slide, and firebar avoidance.

Evidently, Mario only has to be moving downward to stomp on enemies, so if he contacts an enemy at the edge of a ledge while falling downard, he'll stomp it wth his face and hop onto the ledge without dying. The one-foot slide puts wheelies on Mario's shoes when he first enters a level or exits a pipe, so he'll slide along on one foot instead of running. It might seem like those firebars will swipe you no matter what, but their frames are only rendered at certain spots, so Mario can actually duck and squeeze between frames even when close enough to be killed.

It's all there, so go take a look [http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/SuperMarioBros.html]. The page is still under construction, with dozens more GIFs and glitches planned to be added in the future.

Source: TASVideos [http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/SuperMarioBros.html]

Dec 14, 2009
You know you play the game too much when you learn that stuff. Reminds me of the all the 'wave-dashers' in Smash Bros Melee. Bug exploiters piss me off.

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
You know you play the game too much when you learn that stuff. Reminds me of the all the 'wave-dashers' in Smash Bros Melee. Bug exploiters piss me off.
^When a bug speeds up and enhances game-play you complain?

Dec 14, 2009
FriedRicer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Many bugs can 'speed' up gameplay, but it also breaks any kind of balance.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Tool assisted speed runs are different than exploiting bugs in a fighting game. I might be biased since I love to mess around with slowdowns and savestates to do fun playthroughs and I especially enjoy watching them but TASing is to get perfect times on games and there are some TAS videos that are just there to be really entertaining, it's cool watching a game done perfectly. It's not playing too much if you really enjoy doing it and many TASers really enjoy it as a hobby.

Dec 14, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Tool assisted speed runs are different than exploiting bugs in a fighting game. I might be biased since I love to mess around with slowdowns and savestates to do fun playthroughs and I especially enjoy watching them but TASing is to get perfect times on games and there are some TAS videos that are just there to be really entertaining, it's cool watching a game done perfectly. It's not playing too much if you really enjoy doing it and many TASers really enjoy it as a hobby.
I understand it in regards to speed runs for something like Mario Bros and some of them are insanely fun to watch. 'Wave-dashing' on the other hand completely ruined Smash Bros melee from a competitive aspect and people confused the use of the bug equating to skill.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I understand it in regards to speed runs for something like Mario Bros and some of them are insanely fun to watch. 'Wave-dashing' on the other hand completely ruined Smash Bros melee from a competitive aspect and people confused the use of the bug equating to skill.
You should have specified that more in your post, it just seemed to be the only example you had and you didn't say that you were fine with speed runs. I personally also hate wave dashing and it's why I hate melee so much. Not because it may or may not mean skill but it ruins a bit of the competitiveness and diverse strategies.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
FriedRicer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
...in a singleplayer game?

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Ah the negative world, I remember it well, mostly I remember running right over and over until I died.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Goodness, yes. I didn't like the original Quake, and the bunny-hop thing kind of annoys me as a player, but watching stuff like QdQ is beautiful. It's like ballet. With guns.

Dec 14, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FriedRicer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
...in a singleplayer game?
No, in multiplayer games.

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
FriedRicer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
It didn't break balance but made slower characters more viable by speeding up their movements and recoveries...also speed-running in Metroid would be far more tedious and linear without exploits.