Anime 2015

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So, it's been a hell of a year for anime; we've had everything from the end of Naruto, to One-Punch Man, new seasons of Highschool DxD and To Love Ru, spin-offs of Attack on Titan to things like Maria the Virgin Witch, Plastic Memories and Shinemota. Even things like Death Parade and God Eater.

But what was your favorite anime from 2015?

For me personally? As much I liked other things this year, the top spot has to go to;

http://i.imgur.com/ZIAtWnu.jpg

Monster Musume of course! A well done adaption of the manga and really fun to watch too.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ONE PAAAAWWWWWWNCH!!!!!

Did that answer your question?

I honestly have forgotten which animes came out this year. I guess the second half of Stardust Crusaders, Dragon Ball Super and Virgin Witch Maria were all pretty good.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would rank it this way

1 One Punch Man (Everything about it is so great!)
2 Monster Musume (I haven't seen a good harem since Tenchi Muyo)
3 Jojo Bizzzare Adventure Stardus Crusader (It's Jojo, nuff said)
4 Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blood Children (far superior compared to Reconguista in G and AGE)
5 Himouto umaru-chan (Such a relatable anime!)

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
To be honest, there is no anime from 2015 that I like. I just watch/read older animes/mangas like berserk, kanji, 20th century boy etc. which blows my mind. I hope 2016 would be better.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
There were plenty of shows I enjoyed, though I can't say that anything was really mindblowing. But considering I've seen such a ungodly amount of Anime already, that doesn't tend to happen that often.

Guess if I really had to pick then I'm going with Working season 3.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
anyone who's answer in this thread is anything other than One Punch Man is a liar. yes that includes you people who haven't even watched the show.

seriously thou, One Punch Man has easily taken the number 1 spot on my personal favorites list of all time (note that while I have watched a fair amount of anime, most people in this thread have probably watched far more than me so this isn't saying too much) great animation, great writing, great action, great music in both the opening (JAM-project strikes again) the ending and the OST, plus some really great humor. I really recomend watching it, then reading the manga and original webcomic the anime adapted, then come pray with the rest of us for a second season.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I keep seeing One Punch Man everywhere. Isn't it just Superman minus the personality? Like I saw a clip where the Man dueled a lava cyborg who wants to be his student and it was more boring that any DBZ filler episode.
Like...nothing happened. And is that the joke?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It's a close call between One Punch Man and Hibike! Euphonium, I don't know I liked both of them a LOT, admittedly most of my liking for Hibike! Euphonium is that I relate quite a lot with the main character Kumiko, but you know having a character with a personality that's eerily close to yours does make the thing feel more personal, and on top of that it had excellent animation, damn good music and a lot of good characters.

As for One Punch Man, it's just awesome, it's funny, it's silly, it has great characters and amazing action.

Other than those two... I like the still ongoing Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, and that's pretty much it, this year in Anime has been pretty unremarkable to me, but I did get two shows that I absolutely love so there's that, I mean there probably was other stuff that I liked and watched but it wasn't memorable enough to still remember it at the end of the year.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
I do not watch a lot of anime. I saw and enjoyed Danmachi and Monster Musume. I am also watching Ushio to Tora. I will say that One Punch Man made me look for its manga.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Silentpony said:
I keep seeing One Punch Man everywhere. Isn't it just Superman minus the personality? Like I saw a clip where the Man dueled a lava cyborg who wants to be his student and it was more boring that any DBZ filler episode.
I'm curious about this as well. Is the entire point of the show that this one boring guy is like invincible or something and keeps going up against stereotypically overblown anime villains?

It's a cute premise, having the most bland character being the most powerful, but doesn't it also run the risk of making the show boring since he can't actually lose? I mean that's the trap hero like Superman constantly fall into. That and that the creators have to keep coming up with new ridiculous scenario to actually challenge this otherwise unbeatable character.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
Yes.

The show is basically just an epic prank; Take a Dragon Ball Z type universe with ludicrously powerful heroes and villains, and insert a goofy looking guy who can beat them all in just one punch.

OT: I'm a bit off and on when it comes to One-Punch Man (the anime). It's a great show, but the budget seems very unbalanced. The action scenes are fenomenal, but all the non-action scenes are not too visually stimulating. I'm glad the series has any sort of budget to show off the action the way it does, but it does make the overall experience feel off-kilter.

That season finale with Saitama vs. Boros was fucking godly though. Matched the manga in terms of scope and epic visuals, and very few anime are capable of that. The next (?) season is going to feel like a downgrade though, since even the manga hasn't had anything at the scale as the Sea King or Boros since.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Uh... will anyone get mad if I dissent and say Oregairu 2 was better than One Punch Man? I mean sure, One Punch Man was great, but the whole thing kinda felt like a 12 episode long running gag. The monsters bluster, Saitama is comically unimpressed, and then he murders them. It kept being funny, mostly, but not funny enough to top some of Oregairu's best moments like Hicki-kun being deep, and Hands-kun speaking his bullshit nonsense.

1. Oregairu 2
2. One Punch Man
3. Gakkougurashi!
4. Does Cross Ange count? That one ran into 2015.

Maybe Owarimonogatri when I get around to finishing it. Those subtitles, they're so fast.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Madman said:
I'm curious about this as well. Is the entire point of the show that this one boring guy is like invincible or something and keeps going up against stereotypically overblown anime villains?

It's a cute premise, having the most bland character being the most powerful, but doesn't it also run the risk of making the show boring since he can't actually lose? I mean that's the trap hero like Superman constantly fall into. That and that the creators have to keep coming up with new ridiculous scenario to actually challenge this otherwise unbeatable character.
There is certainly the risk of the joke running out of steam eventually, especially when it comes to thinking of new crazy villains -- Seriously, in the last episode of the anime he fights an alien space god and beats his ass without breaking more than a sweat.

Everyone's mileage will vary, but it's surprising how entertaining the whole thing is, even if you know the end usually results in Saitama one-punching the bad guy to death. Part of the fun is actually watching some new bad guy boasting like he's the baddest ************ around, and even making short work of some very skilled heroes, but knowing it's only a matter of time before Saitama crosses his path. And the epic scale of it all adds to both the humor and the excitement.

There's also the other hero characters who are equally entertaining in their own right. Like Watch Dog Man, who is just a guy in a dog suit... And he's one of the best heroes around.

Pickles

That Ice Ain't Nice
Mar 1, 2012
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
The Madman said:

There is certainly the risk of the joke running out of steam eventually, especially when it comes to thinking of new crazy villains -- Seriously, in the last episode of the anime he fights an alien space god and beats his ass without breaking more than a sweat.

Everyone's mileage will vary, but it's surprising how entertaining the whole thing is, even if you know the end usually results in Saitama one-punching the bad guy to death. Part of the fun is actually watching some new bad guy boasting like he's the baddest ************ around, and even making short work of some very skilled heroes, but knowing it's only a matter of time before Saitama crosses his path. And the epic scale of it all adds to both the humor and the excitement.

There's also the other hero characters who are equally entertaining in their own right. Like Watch Dog Man, who is just a guy in a dog suit... And he's one of the best heroes around.
Don't forget the mightiest bicycle based hero of them all, Mumen Rider.

But I'd say a lot of the humour comes from the differences between the ridicuously overpowered main hero and the other heroes. They don't really get each other and most of them hardly know the MC exists. And even if he usually swoops in to save the day the fights are generally fairly interesting even when he's not around.

Overall I don't know if the show really needs a second season, I loved the first but I feel like that finale is a pretty fitting stopping point before the premise does start to get old.

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
I hate ranking things even though that seems to be the internet's favorite thing to do. I can't watch everything, I don't think anyone can and I like some shows for different reasons. For example I loved both One Punch Man and My Love story but how do you compare the two? OPM is awesome and well worth the hype and I put off watching the last episode for a few days because then it would mean that there was no more to watch and My Love Story is probably the best romantic comedy anime ever made and can really hit me in the feels, who knew having a romance where the characters get together early on and are both sweet adorkable people could be so entertaining. Instead of a ranked list I prefer to do something like this:

If I was given $200-300 just to buy anime on disk that came out in 2015 what would I get: (in no particular order)

One Punch Man
My love Story
Noragami season 2
Haikyuu season 2
School Live
Ushio and Torra
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Assassination Classroom
Maria the Virgin Witch

2015 also saw the last half of
Yona of the Dawn
Seven Deadly sins
Log Horizon 2
Shirobako
AND
You're line in April

welp guess I'm broke but looks like 2015 was a pretty good anime year after all.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Casual Shinji said:

Ah, I see, so it's more satire/parody than straight up 'anime drama' ala Dragonball Z. I gotcha.

Well as long as the spectacle of it all is entertaining enough then I can certainly see the appeal, though I also suspect it will get old pretty quickly as those kinds of things usually do when they live past the initial novelty. Still I'm not nearly fluent enough in anime stuffs to say that with any authority so who knows, I was just curious about it since even I'd heard of that show and I don't normally pay attention to this sorta stuff.

Thanks for filling me in.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Madman said:
Ah, I see, so it's more satire/parody than straight up 'anime drama' ala Dragonball Z. I gotcha.

Well as long as the spectacle of it all is entertaining enough then I can certainly see the appeal, though I also suspect it will get old pretty quickly as those kinds of things usually do when they live past the initial novelty. Still I'm not nearly fluent enough in anime stuffs to say that with any authority so who knows, I was just curious about it since even I'd heard of that show and I don't normally pay attention to this sorta stuff.

Thanks for filling me in.
If I had to compare it to anything else it would be The Tick (the cartoon), where it makes fun of its genre, but at the same time it revels in it. And you get this wonderful blend of comedy and action. Like, it's funny to see the Tick wrestle the tongue of a giant moustashed dinosaur man, and at the same time it's awesome, because he's wrestling the tongue of a giant moustashed dinosaur man.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Man... I haven't been keeping up with much anime this year. I need a good anime to get me back on track. It doesn't even need to be recent.

I have seen One-Punch Man, though. It was good, but I don't know if I love it as much as everyone else does.

Panzer Camper

Mar 29, 2013
Gate has been pretty awesome. We are stuck until Jan for new episodes but I'm loving the concept so far. Watching helicopters murder medieval units is beautiful.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I only watched like two anime series that started in 2015 this year, Gate and Everyday Monster Girls. Gate was the best, the mix of modern military and medieval was pretty cool, oh and the heavily implied Yuri wasn't so bad. Monster Girls was just eh, I've already read the manga and there isn't enough changed to really justify me watching the eventual second season.

I tried One Punch Man and God Eater, but Hulu chose one of the worst subbing teams to handle the job, so I just lost a lot of interest. They use a cheap text type, the timing is off for lines, and it just looks bad. I know I like One Punch Man, since I read the manga, but God Eater mostly just bored me.