Anime 2015

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
Elfgore said:
I tried One Punch Man and God Eater, but Hulu chose one of the worst subbing teams to handle the job, so I just lost a lot of interest. They use a cheap text type, the timing is off for lines, and it just looks bad. I know I like One Punch Man, since I read the manga
May I suggest using daisuki.net for watching the rest. It's a pretty good site for anime streaming, and is what I used to watch the show

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
The Madman said:
Casual Shinji said:
There is certainly the risk of the joke running out of steam eventually, especially when it comes to thinking of new crazy villains -- Seriously, in the last episode of the anime he fights an alien space god and beats his ass without breaking more than a sweat.

Everyone's mileage will vary, but it's surprising how entertaining the whole thing is, even if you know the end usually results in Saitama one-punching the bad guy to death. Part of the fun is actually watching some new bad guy boasting like he's the baddest ************ around, and even making short work of some very skilled heroes, but knowing it's only a matter of time before Saitama crosses his path. And the epic scale of it all adds to both the humor and the excitement.

There's also the other hero characters who are equally entertaining in their own right. Like Watch Dog Man, who is just a guy in a dog suit... And he's one of the best heroes around.
Ah, I see, so it's more satire/parody than straight up 'anime drama' ala Dragonball Z. I gotcha.

Well as long as the spectacle of it all is entertaining enough then I can certainly see the appeal, though I also suspect it will get old pretty quickly as those kinds of things usually do when they live past the initial novelty. Still I'm not nearly fluent enough in anime stuffs to say that with any authority so who knows, I was just curious about it since even I'd heard of that show and I don't normally pay attention to this sorta stuff.

Thanks for filling me in.
Yeah, I was super skeptical of the show until I watched it, it is really good.

The way I like to think of it is that in any given DBZ style series we know how the fights will ultimately end. The good guys are going to win. One Punch Man just acknowledges this fact and plays with that idea, allowing for more of the actually interesting parts of such anime, which is how the characters get there.

And the story does get into more interesting territory really quick than "one punch man defeats a guy in one punch". That is basically only the first episode of the anime, and even that has some depth to it. One of the running themes established in episode 1 is that Saitama (one punch man) has grown restless and bored with is own strength. Then interesting characters and plot hooks are added on over the course of the first season.

I really hope they get to a second season soon, as good as the first season of One Punch Man is it stops right at the part where it starts really getting into the characters.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
I keep seeing One Punch Man everywhere. Isn't it just Superman minus the personality? Like I saw a clip where the Man dueled a lava cyborg who wants to be his student and it was more boring that any DBZ filler episode.
Like...nothing happened. And is that the joke?
It's superman plus the personality.

One punch man isn't really about the fights, I mean the fights are pretty and spectacular etc but we have all seen amazing fights. The fights boil down to lesser heroes trying to beat it, they fail thus proving how powerful this foe is, Saitama shows up, hits it once and destroys it.

The joke is outside of the fights, such as anything below rank S (you know how they like to put S as higher than A) is a joke and the heroic acts they perform are stopping robbers etc and there persona's are silly, mumen riders thing is "he rides a bike" that's it, he acts like a big hero with all the "I must fight, even though I wont win, I must fight" and then gets made a joke of.

One of the best S class hero's is a huge, muscled grizzly looking gay convict, who's special attack is to get naked, leap into the air and momentarily have angel wings then punches his opponents. Another funny little touch is in the last fight of the series, the bad guy comes out with a typically hyperbolic name for his move, something like "super crushing comet attack" and two attacks Saitama throws are "normal punches" and "serious punch".

I'd recommend just watching one or two episodes ... I'm sure you'll be hooked.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
omega 616 said:
Another funny little touch is in the last fight of the series, the bad guy comes out with a typically hyperbolic name for his move, something like "super crushing comet attack" and two attacks Saitama throws are "normal punches" and "serious punch".
That also tells you though that this is the first time we see Saitama throw a serious punch -- the other times, even with the Sea King, was him just fist bumping -- and he splits the fucking clouds in a thousand mile stretch.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Though obvious for me, I was extraordinarily happy with Owarimonogatari. Nice to have some gaps filled, and with Kizu and Koyomimonogatari adaptations coming out early January it's great.

Cried like a ***** a few times. Sodachi's speech on happiness (my only complaint was she wasn't around enough), Kanbaru and Shinobu's argument, Senjougahara's chat on the phone, Seishiro's cries for Kiss-Shot... Plus they managed to make Ougi super fucking spooky. Good job

Noragami's second season was nice, as was Oregairu's. Oregairu's was easily one of my favorites. I'll also add to the pile in regards to One Punch and Monster Musume.

I feel like there were other shows I enjoyed. But I don't quite remember right now.

OH

I really liked Punch Line. Subverted my expectations, nice animation, and the plot turned out pretty well.

Ufotable did a bang up job with their UBW adaptation. Pretty close to the VN and the extra scenes were nice, though I would have liked some original VN soundtrack in it other than just Emiya.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
omega 616 said:
Another funny little touch is in the last fight of the series, the bad guy comes out with a typically hyperbolic name for his move, something like "super crushing comet attack" and two attacks Saitama throws are "normal punches" and "serious punch".
That also tells you though that this is the first time we see Saitama throw a serious punch -- the other times, even with the Sea King, was him just fist bumping -- and he splits the fucking clouds in a thousand mile stretch.
Very much so!

Though I am not sure of what to make of the sparring session with Genos, he is playing around as usual until Genos tells him to take it seriously ... he then dodges all of Genos's attacks and stops short of hitting him but massacring the cliff behind him? Was that his first serious punch thrown or even then was he half assing it.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Funnily enough, the best anime I've seen this year isn't even from this year.
Man... Monster is pretty damn great.

Anyway, when it comes to this year, I can only say "One Punch Man."
It just blew me away. The grand blend of comedy, action, and good parody.
Just simply amazing, a must watch for the year. Although it is most likely in this place because it impacted me in the last season of 2015. Otherwise I'd probably give it to Akagami no Shirayuki-hime.

Wrapping up the year in anime, I look forward to the first season of 2016.
There seems to be many things that'll catch my attention... and it's only a plus that there are less harem anime. (For me at least.)

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
For me as far as "new" anime, Prison school, Gundam, Monster Musume, B.B.B., Valkyrie Drive, and of course One-Punch Man are my favorites of the year. I ain't really an anime connoisseur so I can't eloquently break down why most anime for the past few years I have seen have been utter sewage run-off, but I suppose I can say is that even those that weren't particularly... good this year, at least they were interesting in premise if only to be boring in story... and characters... and sometimes everything else.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
Havn't watched much anime this year but Himouto Umaru was alright. I'll have to find sometime watch the third season of Yuru Yuri while I'm off.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
The only anime worth anything this year was Food Wars! Everything else has been so meh or overblown. FOOD WARS SEASON 2 COMING!

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
omega 616 said:
One of the best S class hero's is a huge, muscled grizzly looking gay convict, who's special attack is to get naked, leap into the air and momentarily have angel wings then punches his opponents. Another funny little touch is in the last fight of the series, the bad guy comes out with a typically hyperbolic name for his move, something like "super crushing comet attack" and two attacks Saitama throws are "normal punches" and "serious punch".

I'd recommend just watching one or two episodes ... I'm sure you'll be hooked.
Puri Puri Prisoner is the best. He broke out of prison just to see you, you know.

But seriously, to me it came across as a slice of life anime that just happened to star bald Superman. Life happens, but occasionally Saitama needs to turn some punk into a fine red mist, no big.

Dragon Ball Super has been solid, but overall a bit disappointing. Thus far they've basically just gone and turned the last 2 movies into half a season of content each. I'm also sad that they went through all of the trouble to bring Ginyu back, but didn't bother to add a pose-off between him and THE GREAT SAIYAMAN. That was all I wanted from that plot thread, but Vegeta went and blew it all away...

Stoked for the new Lupin III series, haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'm equally stoked for the SH Figuarts coming out next year for it. I needs me a Fujiko to go with my Revoltech Jigen and Lupin.