Anime and manga with artistic merit: recommendations.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Initial D is not the most highbrow of offerings, but there's not disputing its now legendary phat beat dropping Eurobeat soundtrack. And honestly, even the first arc with Takumi and the now mythical Toyota 86 (conceptually revisited in the FT-86 sports coupe) and finding his girlfriend is, well, a prostitute was reasonably well done dramatically. I mean lets not kid ourselves, people watched this for the driving scenes, the music and the occasional bit of automotive trivia.

This one was my favourite but they're all damn good, plus I can confirm that listening to these while you drive does make you wanna heel-toe, pour on the speed and try some sick drifts. This is deeply inadvisable of course, but who knows: maybe the next Takumi is you.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I recommend Kino's Journey.

It's essentially a lot of self-contained episodes with only the main character as the constant where you see different "countries" (They're more like other worlds) with people and laws and ways of living that are bizarre. Like, one where the people of the country made a way for them to read each others thoughts but it led to everyone isolating themselves from each other in houses far apart because being able to truly know what others are thinking is painful and hearing all those thoughts all the time and at once is awful. And another country where Kino just meets these three men one after the other, one is taking a railroad apart, one way ahead of him is putting down railroad tracks and the one ahead of him is taking a railroad apart.

It's a bunch of weird thoughts pieces, I quite like it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I recommend Kino's Journey.

It's essentially a lot of self-contained episodes with only the main character as the constant where you see different "countries" (They're more like other worlds) with people and laws and ways of living that are bizarre. Like, one where the people of the country made a way for them to read each others thoughts but it led to everyone isolating themselves from each other in houses far apart because being able to truly know what others are thinking is painful and hearing all those thoughts all the time and at once is awful. And another country where Kino just meets these three men one after the other, one is taking a railroad apart, one way ahead of him is putting down railroad tracks and the one ahead of him is taking a railroad apart.

It's a bunch of weird thoughts pieces, I quite like it.
But don't touch season 2 that just release, apparently it's closer to the book and boyohboy is it dumb.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

If you are into suspense or thrillers with a deep storyline, I highly recommend it. and what I love about the horror is that it doesn't go for overly gory bits there's build up to it and suspense. It nails it with the anticipation of fear and terror.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
The heck? I'm more shocked they've released a second season this long since the first.
AFAIK, it's because the first one wasn't that well received and the fans wanted something closer to the original. My memory of the original series is genuinely really fuzzy. I just remember not really liking it that much. As a different perspective, I quite enjoyed the new series.