Anime Categories

Dickdatduck

Aug 2, 2011
Sorry if this is a little ramble..y this topic is something I have been thinking about lately. It always bugs when people talk about Anime as one amorphous blob instead of a medium full of different genres and demographics. Here are some different recent Anime.

TV Shows
Psychological thriller: Zankyou No Terror
Action: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Action and gore :Tokyo Ghoul
Magical Girl: Happiness Charge Pretty Cure
"Realistic" Sports show: Haikyuu
"Super" Sports show: Kuroko's Basketball
Slice of life: Barakamon
Over-the-top Wacky Comedy: Sabagebu!
Down to earth but still Wacky Comedy: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Horror Stories: Yami Shibai 2
Card Battle: Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V

Movies
Stand By Me Doraemon
Last -Naruto the Movie-
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi: Yokozawa Takafumi no Baai
Pokémon the Movie XY
Lupin the 3rd: Jigen Daisuke no Bohyo

OVA
Terra Formars
Mitsuwano
Little Witch Academia 2
Strike Witches: Operation Victory Arrow
Black Butler: Book of Murder (OAV)

Tv shows, movies and OVA usually have different budgets. Movies and OVA tend to have bigger budgets and better animation then TV Anime. The art style of Anime can vary wildly depending on things like what genre it is, what kind of audience it is aimed at and, who the director is. This is all obvious stuff but it sometimes seems like people think that all Anime comes from one big solitary Studio called Japan.

SGT_Noobnuts

May 30, 2014
Yeah this problem bugs me a lot as well.

Saying that anime as a medium is just jumbled into one big pile is kind of like saying that Hollywood has only one genre when it comes to movies. Which I think is as laughable as it is false.

Anime is a medium for entertainment. It is a canvas that has a distinct shape and feel to it but you are capable of making all kinds of shows in many different genres

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah well, anime hasn't really taken any steps at getting rid of that image, now has it? Current anime feels like an amorphous blob, with shows starring yet another teenager at yet another school. It's almost like they're trying to target a certain demographic...

Also, I love how of the five movie examples you put up, atleast four are based on TV series.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I've been saying this all along, but nobody listens to some middle aged otaku. :(

I agree with casual shinji. I try to avoid most of these shows, but it makes it harder for me to find interesting shows within the genres that I like.

Also I think movies and OVAs are a endangered species now-a-days.

Edit: I prefer the traditional genre names, but a lot of shows,movies,and OVAs tend to cross pollinate a few genres. At least nobody will EVER be confused when they see a hentai OVA. ROFL!!! :3

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I thought OVAs were just a nice, little extra episode that came in a blu-ray. A majority of harem, ecchi, anime tend to get them. And those I certainly hope didn't have high budgets. I've never actually watched an OVA series... or even heard of one.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Elfgore said:
I thought OVAs were just a nice, little extra episode that came in a blu-ray. A majority of harem, ecchi, anime tend to get them. And those I certainly hope didn't have high budgets. I've never actually watched an OVA series... or even heard of one.
I'd say they were bigger in the 90s and early 2000s. Notably, the most famous example I can give being the Samurai X OVAs. Macross got some. Blue sub 6 was a nice little OVA series. Kikaider was another show I can remember getting an OVA as well. Ninja resurrection a favorite of mine was an ova series of mine, but sadly was never completed. They were out there but you had to really look for them.

Saber Marionette R is another example. Damn got sit down and watch that again. OVAs are usually episodic in nature, and they can stand on their own as an original concept, or be supplemental material for an existing series.

Hope that clears things up.