Anime recommendations please.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
So, I've been getting some free time lately between my daily responsibilities and I had a friend lend me some anime boxsets to watch, I'm a pretty huge anime fan. So, I'd like to keep going but I'm kinda at a lost of what's out there and what I'd be into so I'm asking the community to throw me some recommendations though the upcoming list of things I've seen is rather daunting. Okay, lemme see...things I've seen. (Also, I apologize for another 'recommend anime' topic.)

Akira
Afro Samurai
Azamanga Dioh
Excel Saga
Black Lagoon
.Hack//SIGN (Part of it, I was thinking about finishing it)
Hellsing (And the OVAs thus far)
Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood)
Claymore
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Rave Master
Cromartie High School
Vampire Hunter D
Slayers
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Dragonball GT (And movies)
BoogiePop Phantom
Steamboy
Bleach (thus far)
Wolf's Rain
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Inuyasha
Peacemaker
Naruto (Gave up watching)
Deathnote (Gave up watching halfway through)
Ninja Scroll
Megas XLR
Rurouni Kenshin
Ouran High School Host Club
Ikki Tousen (All 3 series)
Code Geass
Star Ocean: EX
Digimon (Early seasons)
Poke'mon (Early seasons)
FLCL
Samurai Champloo
Tenchi Muyo
Gunslinger Girl
Last Exile
Zatch Bell
Slayers (all of them)
Blood+
Desert Punk
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (And animes)
Zoids
Berserk
Elfen Lied
Grave Of The Fireflies
Big O
Ghost In The Shell: SAC (Movie too)
Rune Soldier
Dead Leaves
Saiyuki (All of it)
Get Backers
Gundam (A lot of the series)
Yu-Gi-Oh (Early seasons)
Monster Rancher
Fate/Stay Night
Karas
All of the Hayao Miyazaki films
Shadow Skill
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Gantz
Jing: King of Bandits
Yu Yu Hakusho

Sigh, looking at that is really depressing actually...nevertheless I would like to watch more.
The most notable one that is missing is One Piece, which I'd really like to get into because I saw a few beginning episodes and vastly enjoyed the main character but I heard it's at like 450+ episodes and that's a lot of money and time to get them all to watch. I was also curious on Naruto Shippuuden any better than the original series? Because I like the Naruto world but that I can't really stand the filler and most of the characters.

Anywho, I'd like some recommendations if you guys could.
I preferably like action/adventure and story driven, I'm not a big fan of Ecchi/Harem animes that rely on 'Clueless guy falls into woman's bath' kind of humor, other than that I like about everything. If you suggest something, could you please give a little summary of what's it about, thank you.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
MM! is a delightful comedy anime that proves that, proves that you don't need to be so In your face and over the top to be a lovable fucked up characters. *I'm looking at you, Elfen Lied and your shallow attempts at characterization.*

wikiman

Oct 5, 2010
I would recommend Monster if you are into some psychological, disturbing stuff with really slow unfolding plot, and great characters. Also Samurai Champloo if you liked Cowboy Bebob

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
There's an anime called "Ouran High School Host Club" that's only about 26 episodes long and in my experience has appealed to a very wide audience, as most will agree that parodying Shojo manga is funny. (Think if someone parodied Rom-Coms in the US, and then think a Japanese version of that) The show's characters are also an interesting study in how to turn Stock Characters(they're directly referred to by their Stock Character Type) and giving them their own plausible back stories and personalities for that kind of behavior, although they readily admit to playing up their parts for reactions.

It's also an interesting peek into how acceptable female fetishism has become in modern Japanese culture, compared to many Western cultures where acceptable fetishism is still mostly limited to women in an industry where they market sex appeal or men.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Lucky Star, hmmmm you've watched everything I have
wild card: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
AWESOME: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Funny: Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-Chan
maybe try out Star Driver
but seriously WATCH GURREN LAGANN!!!!!!!

wikiman

Oct 5, 2010
Oh yeah, and Gurren Lagann really funny yet touching story about self-discovery. With kick-ass giant mecha fights.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Geekiest said:
There's an anime called "Ouran High School Host Club" that's only about 26 episodes long and in my experience has appealed to a very wide audience, as most will agree that parodying Shojo manga is funny. (Think if someone parodied Rom-Coms in the US, and then think a Japanese version of that) The show's characters are also an interesting study in how to turn Stock Characters(they're directly referred to by their Stock Character Type) and giving them their own plausible back stories and personalities for that kind of behavior, although they readily admit to playing up their parts for reactions.

It's also an interesting peek into how acceptable female fetishism has become in modern Japanese culture, compared to many Western cultures where acceptable fetishism is still mostly limited to women in an industry where they market sex appeal or men.
Is this the one with the girl who acts a guy and it has two red-head twins who are BA in it? I think I watched this recently.

Drakmeire said:
I hear a lot about this series but from the screenshots, it just looks like it's oversexualizing the Yoko character, what's it about?

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
AngelicSven said:
Geekiest said:

Is this the one with the girl who acts a guy and it has two red-head twins who are BA in it? I think I watched this recently.
Yes, I believe that's it, although those descriptions could be better qualified.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Well, there can only be one for me to recommend...

And it has to be Cl---

WAIT WHAT?!

You've seen Claymore?!

Damn... Err... I'm at a loss here guys...
*shrinks into the background*

[sub]Serious face: Try Shakugun no Shana, I really enjoyed it.[/sub]
[sub]Oh, and K-ON, but you may find it too dramatic and gory, so it's not for the faint of heart.[/sub]

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
AngelicSven said:
Drakmeire said:
I hear a lot about this series but from the screenshots, it just looks like it's oversexualizing the Yoko character, what's it about?
that's just a meme taken out of context. shes not even in the series as much as people would have you believe the jest of it
it's the future, humans are underground
main characters find mech
beastman (enemies) mech falls through ceiling of main character's town
they use mech to escape
find other survivors and inspire them to steal enemy mechs and fight back for humanity
build up an army to fight the beastman king and take the fight to him
they fight him, but that's only about halfway through the series so it gets really awesome then.
also lots of epic screaming and broken laws of physics and the biggest mech in all of fiction EVER! (seriously, it set a record that is still not broken)

Exo-Mike

Feb 14, 2010
I think appleseed is one of the most visually stuning anime out there and the plots pretty good

One anime film I think has to be mentioned is perfect blue. Be warned this is a disturbing movie. I could only watch it once so I wouldn't recomend buying it but story wise it was great just very disturbing..

[Edit] Sorry I forgot to mention Teknoman, best series on Fox kids ever!

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Derp, clicked quote not edit.

On second thoughts, you can always watch some stuff with our group. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Anime-Night?added=1#]

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Wow, you seem like the guy I'd take anime recommendations from.

I'd recommend Kino's Journey. Kinda like the Twilight Zone (but much less surreal, save one episode that is far, far more), 13 episodes, throws around some interesting ideas. Some friends of mine would also enthusiastically throw GTO in there.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Darker Than Black (Seriously, anyone? It was a GREAT show!)
Eureka 7
I'd say Bakuman, but it's gotten low reviews (I still like it)
Gantz (If you're into blood sex and well horrible, horrible people)
Shingetsutan Tsukihime (It was really really sad.)
and Kiba if you can find it. It's really good, but sometimes a little generic.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Niagro said:
Well, there can only be one for me to recommend...

And it has to be Cl---

WAIT WHAT?!

You've seen Claymore?!

Damn... Err... I'm at a loss here guys...
*shrinks into the background*

[sub]Serious face: Try Shakugun no Shana, I really enjoyed it.[/sub]
[sub]Oh, and K-ON, but you may find it too dramatic and gory, so it's not for the faint of heart.[/sub]
Hehe. Yes, I've seen Claymore, I enjoyed it a lot.

Drakmeire said:
That actually sounds a lot better than what it looks like, I'll definitely check that out.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners is great.It's a 7 part movie series. A bit confusing at first, but has great action, gorgeous visuals, and a good story.

Also, Panty and Stocking.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Ugh I could not stand Ikkitousen...

It has an interesting premise but the fanserivce killed it for me :(

If you want something similar to it but the fanservice doesnt get in the way I recommend Sekirei.

Edit: You can watch the whole thing on funimations site. They have the first season dub if you're interested.