Anime Recommendations?

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I've never watched anime before (with the exception of Pokemon and Sailor Moon as a kid), but just a couple days ago I began watching Death Note. I have to say, I'm definitely enjoying it so far, I'm about 15 episodes in. Though I'm curious how long they can drag out the "battle" between L and Light... does the series have a definite end?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
MasochisticMuse said:
I've never watched anime before (with the exception of Pokemon and Sailor Moon as a kid), but just a couple days ago I began watching Death Note. I have to say, I'm definitely enjoying it so far, I'm about 15 episodes in. Though I'm curious how long they can drag out the "battle" between L and Light... does the series have a definite end?
Yes. Yes it does. After you finish it, pick up Code Geass. It has the same feel as Death Note but with giant robots.

Dirand

Mar 31, 2008
Honestly would not recommend watching death note past episode 26, the series really drops the ball after that point. I wont spoil anything but if you get that far you will see why.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
tthor said:
some girls i know have talked about that before, isn't that a yaoi anime?
No at all. The anime pokes fun at it but it's definitely not yaoi.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
In no particular order (okay, well, Monster is first because I love it):

- Monster
- FLCL
- Paranoia Agent
- Elfen Lied (the action sequences and nothing else)
- Death Note
- Samurai Champloo
- Cowboy Bebop

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
MasochisticMuse said:
Yes, it certainly does.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
As probably stated before Elfen Lied would be a great choice. You could also go for maybe School Days.

Also it might be a big help for some of us if you've listed the animes you've watched so we don't accidentally recommend an anime you already watched.

retrofish18

Jan 23, 2011
I would suggest Welcome to the NHK. It's a slice of life story about a shut in otaku conspiracy theorist. I've never really been much of an anime fan but that was the one anime I enjoyed watching, though I might also watch the other ones suggested in the forum.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
I would recommend Spice and Wolf.

From TvTropes:
Lawrence, a traveling merchant, accidentally frees the local harvest god, a centuries-old giant wolf named Holo who takes the form of a young girl. She convinces him to let her travel with him and seek out her dimly-remembered homeland.
Interestingly, the main thrust of the anime is centered more on the business of Lawrence than on Holo's supernatural nature. While her good senses and intellect come into play reasonably often, she is treated as a companion of Lawrence rather than the focus of the show. Instead of action or fanservice, Spice and Wolf is far more likely to focus on an in-depth discussion on the currency exchange market, with no notable attempt to make it more interesting by going over the top. Surprisingly, the show does this rather well using character interaction (mostly between Lawrence and Holo) and business intrigue.

It's really a sweet anime and definitely worth a look.

Mjoldar

Dec 14, 2010
I personally found Eureka 7 to be quite interesting. It feels rather standard at first, but starts to really come into its own quickly: the story rapidly enters a dark and mindscrewy place :D . Plus, the animation itself is VERY high quality.

Can't speak to the movie they made about the series, but I hear it was alright. Might also be worth looking into.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
That description makes me really want to recommend Bokurano to you. Seriously, go watch it, it's one of my favorites.

OT: As usual, I will recommend Clannad. It's by far the most touching and emotional anime I've ever seen. It may seem a bit cliched at first, but stick with it, it really is something very special. Also, you will cry, and you will cry a lot.

Edit: Actually, I'll recommend Bokurano to you too, op. It's a kind of dark anime in a depressing sort of way, and it has a fantastic plot.

Double edit: And if you want something totally un-cliche, watch "Working!!". It is one of the funniest and most original animes ever.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Have to tried Now and Then Here and There? It's dark, dramatic, and expertly avoids cliché. Plus its got one of the best villians, like, ever.

Another show that has all these qualities is Welcome to the NHK. It's about about a chronic shut-in's struggle to attain an actual life. Perhaps not the most exiting sounding premise ever but it is sublimely executed and certainly makes the show unique.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
MasochisticMuse said:
you'll see soon enough

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
WayOutThere said:
Have to tried Now and Then Here and There? It's dark, dramatic, and expertly avoids cliché. Plus its got one of the best villians, like, ever.
Strike that, reverse it. :p

OT: I am lazy, will post recommendation in moment.. :p

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Dirand said:
Honestly would not recommend watching death note past episode 26, the series really drops the ball after that point. I wont spoil anything but if you get that far you will see why.
i know what you mean, it gets a bit off

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
MasochisticMuse said:
Just curious, but how'd you hear about and start watching Death Note?

I just wanted to know because I know a ton of people who got into anime through Death Note, yet I absolutely hated it.