Anime Review: Air Gear

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
RavingPenguin said:
I quite liked Air Gear, and it remains one of my favorite animes. I even have the soundtrack. Im quite sorry you did not enjoy it, though it certainly was a rather harsh review.
If you don't mind expounding upon that statement, might I ask what it was about the series that appealed to you, personally?
Well the original japanese version is very unique to anime with artstyle, soundtrack, and overall direction. Its really a unique experience among anime, and well, its not everyones cup of tea. Its like a bold new game that utilizes new and refreshing elements, not everyone is going to like it but you do get a niche audience that truly enjoyed the experience. If you did not enjoy the english dub (with its snobby americanization of everything) than might I suggest finding a fan-sub online and watching it online. Reading the manga helps too, it is a truly wonderful experience with fantastic art work and direction.

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
Sound track was honestly best thing about it, the manga is better but like much of the artists work requires you to throw out a chunk of knowledge, but meh its still pretty good (the manga not the anime)

Mookie3

Jun 10, 2009
Boy do I feel like an ass. I bought this series like a week ago. So far I have watched an enjoyed the first 7 episodes. Then I see this review and I just feel, ugh... I think the reason I like it is because its so cliche and retarded, its almost parodying itself, though the action sequences are still good.

Mookie3

Jun 10, 2009
RavingPenguin said:
RollForInitiative said:
RavingPenguin said:
I quite liked Air Gear, and it remains one of my favorite animes. I even have the soundtrack. Im quite sorry you did not enjoy it, though it certainly was a rather harsh review.
If you don't mind expounding upon that statement, might I ask what it was about the series that appealed to you, personally?
Well the original japanese version is very unique to anime with artstyle, soundtrack, and overall direction. Its really a unique experience among anime, and well, its not everyones cup of tea. Its like a bold new game that utilizes new and refreshing elements, not everyone is going to like it but you do get a niche audience that truly enjoyed the experience. If you did not enjoy the english dub (with its snobby americanization of everything) than might I suggest finding a fan-dub online and watching it online. Reading the manga helps too, it is a truly wonderful experience with fantastic art work and direction.
Wait original? Like how Guyver had original series in the 80s and a remake a couple of years ago?

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Mookie3 said:
RavingPenguin said:
RollForInitiative said:
RavingPenguin said:
Well the original japanese version is very unique to anime with artstyle, soundtrack, and overall direction. Its really a unique experience among anime, and well, its not everyones cup of tea. Its like a bold new game that utilizes new and refreshing elements, not everyone is going to like it but you do get a niche audience that truly enjoyed the experience. If you did not enjoy the english dub (with its snobby americanization of everything) than might I suggest finding a fan-dub online and watching it online. Reading the manga helps too, it is a truly wonderful experience with fantastic art work and direction.
Wait original? Like how Guyver had original series in the 80s and a remake a couple of years ago?
No, no, sorry. I meant the non-dubbed version of the anime. I guess I should have clarified.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
The review was quite entertaining, interesting to read and it covered everything that needed to be known about the series.
I'll definitely be interested in reading your other reviews of Animes...if you make them.

I'm probably a bit biased because I thought this was one of the worst Animes I had ever watched.
It had completely unlikable characters, a painfully formulaic and uninteresting plot
and it wasn't even interesting as a spectacle.

I'm going to stop there. I didn't mean to offend you if I did.
I'm not criticizing you or your tastes, I just really didn't like this Anime series at all.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
RavingPenguin said:
I'm a bit late on the response here, but...

When you put it like that, it makes it difficult to imagine that it's the same series being written about. If anything, my curiosity has been sparked a little by the radically different stances people have taken here. However, I get the feeling it's slotted under the typical shonen formula, which doesn't often sell well for me. Still, maybe I'll catch it on sale sometime just to see for myself which side of the fence I end up on.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
RavingPenguin said:
I'm a bit late on the response here, but...

When you put it like that, it makes it difficult to imagine that it's the same series being written about. If anything, my curiosity has been sparked a little by the radically different stances people have taken here. However, I get the feeling it's slotted under the typical shonen formula, which doesn't often sell well for me. Still, maybe I'll catch it on sale sometime just to see for myself which side of the fence I end up on.
I never watched it in its english form. I went to rawramime.com and watched fan-sub versions of the japanese. Honestly dubbs just ruin everything.

AtticusSP

Apr 6, 2009
I actually liked the Air Gear anime. It had a lot of epic moments, although the over the top fanservice in any Oh!Great series bothers me.
The manga however, I won't touch.
Gender swap Obama was the last fucking straw.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Ya know, having watched this show, I've determined that it's just all tongue-in-cheek humor making fun of other shonen shows. All mixed w/ some fan-service.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
den1al said:
What a hater. Not your cup of tea so you spit in it. Pathetic...
Truer words were never spoken, people usually only read things if they're funny, this wasn't.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
The manga is better than the anime and also in an anime first (well not first but it rarely ever happens at all) the series was cancelled. the manga is still going though

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
The anime was ok...then after they formed their team was when the shit hit the fan. It seemed to go everywhere, with no characters really becoming to important. Also, the final fights seemed to drag on forever!

And the ending...the worst ending of all time.

Chazz16

Feb 1, 2011
I liked the anime and all of it's epic moments

thought the anime ending was fucking garbage...i mean really WTF WHERE THEY SMOKING WHEN THEY MADE THAT...i know it's not the real ending but still.

but to me there was more boobs than skating...not saying that's bad or anything :p

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
Halfbreed13 said:
I stopped reading the manga because it stopped making any bloody sense.
there is nothing more i can say beside that my friend...i tried...i really...did but WOW some people know how to fuck things up don't they...