Anime Review: D.Gray-Man, Season 2

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Anime Review: D.Gray-Man, Season 2

D.Gray-Man's second season follows the road of the first but keeps on pulling over along the way.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hate filler so much ><

Well, only ever dabbled in D.Grey-Man anyway, I liked the first series and seemed to have some good pulls to it...but if second season is just all recaps...

/sigh

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
I liked the first season and have not watched any of the second, after reading this review I think I will at least give it a try though.

Giantcain

Oct 29, 2009
well seing as the writer of d gray man hasnt done one chapter in aboutva yer you cant blamr for filers really

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Giantcain said:
well seing as the writer of d gray man hasnt done one chapter in aboutva yer you cant blamr for filers really

Shows how much you know.
THe Main writer/artist of the D.Gray Man was very, very sick for about 6 months.
The last one, was released December 28th, 2009.
http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/190/

As for the whole filler thing.
I disagree that these are pointless fillers.
These 'fillers', actually affect the main plot, Unlike Naruto.
Characters in these Fillers, actually play a role in the story.

Would Quantum Leap be as good as it was, if they skipped out on every 'filler episode', and skipped straight to the main 'plot' episodes?
I don't think so.
Infact, I don't think you can actually call these 'fillers' Fillers, Since they actually HAPPEN in the Manga.
Fillers in Naruto/Bleach/Full Metal Alchemist, almost never happened in the Mangas.

Lady who can control Time? She' becomes a pretty important character.
Vampire guy?
Same thing.
They aren't the 'main 3' characters, but they are definately important to the story.
These fillers actually shape the characters, allowing them to grow.
Unlike in other show's fillers, where the characters don't change, gain 'friends' that you never see again, and in many cases 'powers' they don't actually possess.

Also, should be noted, The Anime has 103 episodes total right now. The American Dubbed ones are no where near that right now, and the subs ended last year. If the Manga keeps its pace up now, it'll probably let the Anime start up again in another 3 months or more... Asuming the Manga Artist doesn't get sick again.

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
I like D.gray man but i have given up hope on it as it ended ages ago with no word on the anime continuing and the last episode ending with what seemed to be a building story followed by "Fin" perplexity

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Ugh, filler arcs. I guess I should watch it... eventually. You think I should make a list of anime second seasons, either inferior to the first/unimportant to the plot, which I will get around to eventually, or should I just add them to the "List of stuff I have to get too," which has many such seasons (and I woul dhave to go in and remove them for the new list)?

So far, the only filler arcs that have been decent were in One piece and Bleach. These are the first One Piece filler arc (with the dragon's), because it fit the series pretty well, though they did make a mistake with Zoro's abilities. It still a decent filler arc. The other one is the Bleach filler arc with the Bount/Bounto. Wasn't great, but at least kinda fit the theme of the series. This "Zanpakuto" arc is also alright, but since I read the manga, I just want them to get to the episodes containing the chapters "The Lust 4-6."

Some other One Piece filler arcs might be decent, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Flux07

Oct 19, 2008
SinisterDeath said:
Giantcain said:

Shows how much you know.
THe Main writer/artist of the D.Gray Man was very, very sick for about 6 months.
The last one, was released December 28th, 2009.
http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/190/

As for the whole filler thing.
I disagree that these are pointless fillers.
These 'fillers', actually affect the main plot, Unlike Naruto.
Characters in these Fillers, actually play a role in the story.

Would Quantum Leap be as good as it was, if they skipped out on every 'filler episode', and skipped straight to the main 'plot' episodes?
I don't think so.
Infact, I don't think you can actually call these 'fillers' Fillers, Since they actually HAPPEN in the Manga.
Fillers in Naruto/Bleach/Full Metal Alchemist, almost never happened in the Mangas.

Lady who can control Time? She' becomes a pretty important character.
Vampire guy?
Same thing.
They aren't the 'main 3' characters, but they are definately important to the story.
These fillers actually shape the characters, allowing them to grow.
Unlike in other show's fillers, where the characters don't change, gain 'friends' that you never see again, and in many cases 'powers' they don't actually possess.

Also, should be noted, The Anime has 103 episodes total right now. The American Dubbed ones are no where near that right now, and the subs ended last year. If the Manga keeps its pace up now, it'll probably let the Anime start up again in another 3 months or more... Asuming the Manga Artist doesn't get sick again.
I thought the writer was accused of copying other writers characters and scenes and had to go on hiatus, and because of that Jump stopped showing the manga and now the manga belongs to another company... hence now its on monthly release... :/

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
The Manga is actually very good. And from the comments I'm reading to do with the extra character, they aren't filler, they introduce important characters which influence Allen.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Flux07 said:
Shows how much you know.
I thought the writer was accused of copying other writers characters and scenes and had to go on hiatus, and because of that Jump stopped showing the manga and now the manga belongs to another company... hence now its on monthly release... :/
No, That was a seperate incident, that happened during the same time.
The Artist/Writer has had a history of getting 'sick'.

If its part of another company, I dunno about that.
However, The monthly release, is much, much larger than previous weekely releases. I dare say, we are getting 'more' content per month, then we were getting per week for a month...

Either way, the 'accusation' had to do with two characters that had semi-similar looking 'ability' type thing. But other than that, nothing else was similar.

vs

The Manga is actually very good. And from the comments I'm reading to do with the extra character, they aren't filler, they introduce important characters which influence Allen.
The manga IS good. And the anime follows it pretty well.
And yes, the fillers aren't actually fillers, as they are actually in the manga!

Soren91

Jul 27, 2009
obex said:
I like D.gray man but i have given up hope on it as it ended ages ago with no word on the anime continuing and the last episode ending with what seemed to be a building story followed by "Fin" perplexity
I know. It was the most confusing and saddening thing that has happened to me recently.

Flux07

Oct 19, 2008
SinisterDeath said:
Flux07 said:
Shows how much you know.
No, That was a seperate incident, that happened during the same time.
The Artist/Writer has had a history of getting 'sick'.

If its part of another company, I dunno about that.
However, The monthly release, is much, much larger than previous weekely releases. I dare say, we are getting 'more' content per month, then we were getting per week for a month...

Either way, the 'accusation' had to do with two characters that had semi-similar looking 'ability' type thing. But other than that, nothing else was similar.

vs

The manga IS good. And the anime follows it pretty well.
And yes, the fillers aren't actually fillers, as they are actually in the manga!
It was more than that, more evidence was put forward, but that was definately the more prominate one, and the manga used to be with Jump and now its not, so, it isn't being released with naruto/bleach etc etc

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I love D.Gray-man a lot. I saw it in Japanese and read the manga's currently released in english and they are different but need to be enjoyed together because they complement each other and add to each other. Also english dub SUCKS! Seriously there is a lot to complain about with the english dub version, from dialogue to voice actor choices. D.Gray-man is one of the better Shonen Jump manga/anime but it's target audience in very limited.

The Empress

Mar 21, 2010
I really hope the anime is able to continue soon; I've been able to watch both of the seasons that are already out and have been reading the manga in the meantime to have something to do, but the anime is definitely my favorite. I agree that the "filler" is not so much filler as it is a means to let us get to know the new characters. It's better to have that included than to just throw them in and say, "Hey, care about what happens to these people that you don't even know!".

Number One Youkai

Oct 18, 2010
i know that the second season is coming out but what im wondering is is it just called "d.gray man season 2" or does it have an actual name like "d.gray man ....." cos i was reading wiki and it said the new season is called "d.gray man 2nd stage" but it said that the last 53 episodes were the second season and now im just confused so is there a real second season?