Anime Review: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
Catchy Slogan said:
The main reason why I couldn't get past the first couple of eps is because I can't stand Shinji's character. maybe this'll make it slighty more bearable.
I don't understand why everyone dislikes Shinji's character. You can't tell me you wouldn't act a little like he does given this situation.
I'm also not big on hating him. He's just deeply flawed. He isn't a classic hero-type that you wish you wish you could be like or root for; some ultimate warrior or super smart guy with just one flaw. Shinji has *many* flaws and only a couple of "hero" traits; and that just rubs some people the wrong way.

Btw, I *really* like the Shinji conversation in the subway car. One of my favorite scenes of TV.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Hmm, I was kinda looking forward to this new version, but if they dumded it down for the masses then I'll just rewatch the platinum edition.
I'll do that myself, good thing I asked for it last Christmas. Especially if they did dumb down the philosophy/mindscrew which, let's be honest, is what really makes the series.
Casual Shinji said:
Wow, someone else on this forum who actually likes this show. I'm always a little cautious in revealing my love for it since the general feelings towards anime here are pretty bad, but concering NGE it's downright ugly.
As you've said on another thread, we're the nerds among the nerds. Does nothing to make the anti-anime sentiment any less horribly irritating, however.

And yes, I'm also rather cautious about my liking Eva, the series seems to inspire a lot of hate, though you gotta admit it did get hyped a lot.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I saw the entire dub and I will say I liked it, not quite as deep as the original series but it retains enough of the awesome-ness to keep me interested, also the new modifications on some of the angels and updated visual style are easy on the eyes.

Chazz16

Feb 1, 2011
i enjoyed the movie but i thought there would be more to it...to me it's just Evangelion with better graphics.

But what i really don't hear people talking about are the Eva vs Angel fights. those are the real high point of the movie

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Chazz16 said:
i enjoyed the movie but i thought there would be more to it...to me it's just Evangelion with better graphics.

But what i really don't hear people talking about are the Eva vs Angel fights. those are the real high point of the movie
Sir, you are a Necromancer of high caliber. :p

OT: Umm... never saw NGE but considering dedicating some of my time... might watch the rebuilds.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Well, I suppose it's not totally outdated, seeing as there's a new one coming out.
Nevertheless, I ain't touching this one either. I was fooled into the original anime series because of its good cred amongst my friends, and that it was supposed to be very action-packed. I delighted at the crisp animation quality, the excellent art design... and the pacing had me fast forwarding through half the series.

Sure, the series had a lot to say--but it didn't need 26 episodes and multiple movies to say it. Hell, Haruhi recounted all the theme wonderfully in 1 episode (which equates to 1 light novel). Maybe it's just the fact that Evangelion explored it really well by that time, so Haruhi just swoop in and picked out the good part. But hey--Bebop was equally old, and it was much faster, and relays its messages wonderfully (and much more musically too).
Besides, I hate silly existentialism and high brow discussion about religion. It's just one of those things that never works out.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I stopped reading the review when he mentioned character development in the original evangelion. What character development, nobody changes or develops except for maybe Katsuragi or maybe, maybe Asuka. calling it a bildungsroman for Shinji is wrong. Shinji is only at the brink of change at the very end of the series. (not counting that weird ass pretentious heavy metal homage that was "end of evangelion")

If the show had continued from there we might have seen actual character evolution... or most likely a slump back into depression which is common for people with the illness.

That is by the way the only redeeming point to the series that it gives insight into the mind of a person with depression and the existential turmoil that goes on inside, but the characters Shinji's arc especially was guilty of little to no development.