Anime Review: Record of Lodoss War

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Anime Review: Record of Lodoss War

Japan's take on Dungeons & Dragons is an anime classic for a reason - but its age is apparent.

Read Full Article

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Funny this comes up today, only last night did I see the DVD boxed set sitting on the top shelf (sandwiched in between my Firefly DVDs and Evil Dead (Book of the Dead) DVD. I'd forgotten that a friend of mine, a fellow D&D-lifer, had given me the Lodoss set for my birthday a few years back. I've never watched it but after spotting it last night and then reading the review today I'm going to have to give it some proper view-time.

...also reminds me I never finished watching all the eps in the D&D cartoon boxed set.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SUPA FRANKY said:
Can you guys please review something people have hear of?
If you haven't heard of an anime classic, that ain't nobody's fault but yours.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Great anime. I remember seeing it a long time ago, and still enjoy it to this date

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
John Funk said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
If you haven't heard of an anime classic, that ain't nobody's fault but yours.[/quote

Yea, I guess your right. Its just that whenever they review different animes, its stuff that is too obscure. I don't mind that actually, I encourage that. But when they do it ever week it just starts to wear thin.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
John Funk said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Record of Lodoss War is 20 years old, this is like getting a review for Dr. Mario on the NES (Also released in 1990.)

If you have an interest in Anime, and you have not heard of or seen RoLW by now, you fail at even casual anime fandom.

There are two camps of people:

Those who like Anime, Those who do not.

Those who like Anime watch Anime, continue to watch Anime, look for new Anime to watch and generally keep well informed. This means that the majority of them know about the classics, and have most likely seen them.

Those who do not watch anime... do not give a rats ass about one from 1990.

Can we please skip the reviews for the following:

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Vampire Hunter D
Hellsing
Berserk
Sailor Moon
Utena
Excel Saga
Ninja Scroll
Macross
Ranma 1/12
Elfen lied
Fushigi Yûgi
Dragon Ball
Blood
Cowboy Bebop
ah! My GoddesS
Tenchi Muyo!
Twin Dolls
Dominion Tank Police
Rozen Maiden
Fist of the North Star
3x3 Eyes

Pretty much anything that someone in the past 25 years may have already seen...

Thanks.

DojiStar

Apr 24, 2009
SUPA FRANKY, you have a point, but I see Escapist anime review corner as a place to find reviews of older or quirky series and introduce things I might not have heard of. There are an awful lot of places to find news and reviews of current, popular, and breaking series. Also, I believe Escapist has a policy of only reviewing stuff currently available on DVD in the US (not sure about this?). Which obviously rules out reviews based on TV-rips of currently running series in Japan. Maybe as the anime review here picks up more contributors, they will publish more current things.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
John Funk said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Record of Lodoss War is 20 years old, this is like getting a review for Dr. Mario on the NES (Also released in 1990.)

If you have an interest in Anime, and you have not heard of or seen RoLW by now, you fail at even casual anime fandom.

Those who like Anime watch Anime, continue to watch Anime, look for new Anime to watch and generally keep well informed. This means that the majority of them know about the classics, and have most likely seen them.

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Vampire Hunter D
Hellsing
Berserk
Sailor Moon
Utena
Excel Saga
Ninja Scroll
Macross
Ranma 1/12
Elfen lied
Fushigi Yûgi
Dragon Ball
Blood
Cowboy Bebop
ah! My GoddesS
Tenchi Muyo!
Twin Dolls
Dominion Tank Police
Rozen Maiden
Fist of the North Star
3x3 Eyes

Thanks.
We review what we have in stock. When it's a slow month for getting sent stuff, we default to the archives.

And hey, wouldn't you know it, Funimation is still releasing its Dragon Ball collections, so there you go :p

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
By "we default to the archives" you mean "Whatever the reviewer had on the shelf at home" ?

I have some old DOS games you guys can have if you want to do some cutting edge game reviews as well.

^_~

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
The people that have never heard of Dragon Ball Z would likely say the same if they did an anime review on any of that. But I digress.

Record of Lodoss war (gods this makes me sound old)is something I grew up with. And I'm only 23, I remember seeing it for the first time at the movie store and renting each disc individually. Great series . . . now that I'm hearing about it again, I think I need to go looking it up on DVD again, maybe buy it this time. That and Battle Angel Alita's anime . . . not that anyone else has EVER heard of that.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Void(null) said:
John Funk said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Vampire Hunter D
Hellsing
Berserk
Sailor Moon
Utena
Excel Saga
Ninja Scroll
Macross
Ranma 1/12
Elfen lied
Fushigi Yûgi
Dragon Ball
Blood
Cowboy Bebop
ah! My GoddesS
Tenchi Muyo!
Twin Dolls
Dominion Tank Police
Rozen Maiden
Fist of the North Star
3x3 Eyes

Thanks.
Great...elitist.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
By "we default to the archives" you mean "Whatever the reviewer had on the shelf at home" ?

I have some old DOS games you guys can have if you want to do some cutting edge game reviews as well.

^_~
No, the stuff we had on shelves before we had an anime reviews section.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
So this review has been 20 years in the making. I feel honored to see the dream finally realized.

Moridis

Jan 4, 2010
I found it a little funny that there was no mention of the 27 episode alternate version called ROLW: Chronicles of the heroic knight. Basically its just an expanded version of the original, but its still worth at least a little mention.

As for what Void said about not needing to review the classic anime titles. Well thats a veteran's opinion I think. Of course a person who has watched anime for years will have seen the classics and some of the not so classics, but a person just starting out watching anime has no idea about the good old ones. They need someone to recommend good titles to them, heck I have had to suggest dozens of animes to my friends who have no idea of whats whats for titles.

Count_ZeroOR

May 9, 2009
Oh, and by the way - for those who are planning on picking this up on DVD based on this review (and I do recommend getting it, and skipping the dub), this is out-of-print. Central Park Media/US Manga Corps had the licence to the series, but let it go out of print (along with everything else they'd licensed), around 2000. When they finally, formally went under last year, and some of their other licences (like Grave of the Fireflies and *shudder* M.D. Geist) were rescued, this series was not among them. Neither was the Patlabor OVAs and TV series. Currently, the Record of Lodoss War DVD collection usually goes for about $30 on eBay, maybe more.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
So this review has been 20 years in the making. I feel honored to see the dream finally realized.
Don't get snippy over free content.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I actually watched this pretty recently, but that fandub sounds awesome, so I'm going to find it and than try and convince the anime club that we should watch it. It shouldn't be too hard, as we all love parodies.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Void(null) said:
Don't get snippy over free content.
No sense of humor about this?

Sorry but I find reviewing a 20 year old Anime, and trying to pin some modern day relevance/significance (DA:O) to justify reviewing a 20 year Anime, rather than just taking the stance of "Lets look at a classic" kinda amusing.

There must be a funny story in there somewhere of distribution/shipping errors, a frantic reviewer calling up asking where the shipment is, after lots of calls and finding out the shipment is not going to be there in time, someone saying "look, just review something you have at home." Then being sent a review for a 20 year old Anime the day of publication, and being all 'Screw it, were going to print it."

That's how the set up goes in my world, if yours differs to the mundane then don't tell me and spoil it for me, I would rather keep my interpretation of events.