Anime Review: Samurai Champloo

Name Not Found

Apr 16, 2009
I love this series.
Yeah, I know the characters can be one denominational at times and the story isn't an epic tale that will last through the ages, but you just can't help but love it.

It knows exactly what it wants to be and makes no excuses for itself. I think in episode one, before the episode starts, A little message pops up that says something along the lines of:

"Yeah, we know this show is not historically actuate. Now shut up and watch it."

Also, while totally off the wall, the baseball episode was one of the fucking best thing I have ever seen in an anime

Blue_screen

Aug 28, 2009
This series was what got me into anime. It is elegant,funny(baseball episode and interaction between main characters), simple, stylish and most important of all, short.

sin keon

Apr 12, 2009
yes hearing them speak dutch is really strange if you're dutch(I'm dutch)
I watched it three times before I could believe that it actually happend

but on topic, nice review and I really enjoyed the series(more than cowboy bebop by the way)

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
I thought it was a pretty good series. Some of the episodes dragged on a bit, but there were some good ones, like the one where they learned how to play baseball.

I know a lot of people have compared the two but I think Cowboy bebop is slightly better, although it is close between the two.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I liked the episode with the Dutch gay guy.

So weird to here my own languish in a Japanese animation.
that was a freakin hilarious episode, i love the episode about the two gangs who were having a graffiti war, and mugen gets involved for fun and his graffiti pwns both gangs.

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
I saw a bit of this series on adult swim a few years back an liked it, I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw that they had whole episodes on youtube. So now I'm going to start checking them out, it definitely looks as good as this review says.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Samurai Champloo is honestly one of the best things I've ever seen. Also, it has an amazing soundtrack by the late Nujabes.

Chani07

Sep 26, 2010
Psychosocial said:
KarmicToast said:
It's no Cowboy Bebop? I would say Cowboy Bebop is no Champloo...
Word.

I've watched almost all of Cowboy Bebop, but I just can't seem to love it as much as I love Samurai Champloo.

As much as i loved Cowboy Bebop's ending and it's characters, i simply can't put it above Samurai Champloo. It's true, i saw SC first and then CB, so that might've influenced my opinion. Then again, when i heard about hip-hop being used in an anime, i was thrilled. I love hip-hop, and the idea of mixing it with the samurai theme just made me even more eager to watch this anime. Bottom line, they're both great animes, and somewhat too different to be compared.

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
love this show. the edited version make mugan more comedic then in the unedited version. "go *record scratch* yourself"

jinroom

Oct 3, 2011
Nice, i really liked this one, from top to bottom.
It is acctually a great anime, and fun.

Sesquipedalian

Nov 23, 2014
The guy who reviewed this is a world class idiot... Oh god; I'VE BECOME YOUTUBE!!! ... ... ... Seriously though, the ending is about as good as anime finales get. Better than the typical serialized cartoon gets anyway.