Anime suggestions?

Ibaapzo

Dec 25, 2008
I don't see "Berserk" or "Elfen Lied" in there. :O Check those out as well.

As for your list, my first choices would consist of:
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Hellsing
Full Metal Alchemist
Rahxephon (it's a trip...)
.Hack//Dusk
Samurai Champloo
Trigun

Out of them all... Spoot... Full Metal keeps me coming back, for sure.

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Higurashi said:
Jonathan Hexley said:
I love FullMetal Alchemist, Lucky Star, Love Hina, Negima, and Haruhi Suzumiya. Ouran High School Host Club is also pretty cool.
Did I ever mention that I'm male?

But yeah, not too into Shounen anime to tell the truth. Shoujo anime just attracts me for some reason, to the point where I get so involved I don't care if I'm being weird.
Detective Conan is a good manga series, but I never saw the anime.
Guess we're two peas in a pie. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is just.. pure genius, and Ouran is a lot of fun, as is Love Hina. (only too bad it has become so popular and sold itself out a bit) I have to say I prefer Sh&#333;jo as well. So much more depth. First anime series I completed was FMA, but I do not find a need to categorize it. Same thing with Full Metal Panic. (<3)
I get bored of Naruto and Bleach, the typical Shounen animes, and they also last waaaay too long. They should just die with dignity, like masterpieces such as Fruits Basket had the good taste of doing.
For some reason, we seem to share a few things.
I tried Naruto and Bleach, I just couldn't get into it to tell the truth.
Speaking of emotional pain... FullMetal Alchemist. Episode 25. I cried my eyes out, practically stopped watching after that.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
Claymore
Elfin Lied
Tokko
Darker than Black (less bloddy, although probably the best of these 4)

Those 4 are all very violent and very bloody if your into that sort of thing

Code Geass (Possibly best ending to an anime ever, i was completely confused till the last 10 minutes and it rocked)
Ergo Proxy
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

These 3 will make you think while watching them, they're very clever and will require you to pay attention to know whats going on.

Full metal Alchemist - All round Brilliant anime
Full metal Panic - Hillarous moments and really enjoyable

Bleach
D Gray man
Law of Ueki

These 3 are Really good although quite long bleach is 200 episodes still running, D gray man is just over 100, finished but might get another season at some point because it doesnt conclude very well. And law of Ueki is 51 and FREAKING FANTASTIC.

If you like more bloody anime, watch Darker than black, if you like complex anime watch ergo proxy, if you want something thats not too serious then watch Law of Ueki. And if you just like anime then watch them all because they're all worth the time to watch

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Jonathan Hexley said:
Speaking of emotional pain... FullMetal Alchemist. Episode 25. I cried my eyes out, practically stopped watching after that.
Yup yup, similar tastes in some aspects.
No, I fully understand you. I watched Bleach as I had just begun watching anime, so I liked it. It's got some moments to it, but they're all lost around episode 50 or so. The anime should have just ended there. I stopped watching around 75 when it just got silly.. and I peeked at 200 or something (it's at over 225), and it had completely derailed. Just.. silly beyond measure. Same thing with Naruto, though I have to say it has kept me interested a lot longer. So many fillers I lost interest around 160 though.. and peeked at Shippuuden.
Most animes are at their best in their early stages.. or at least Sh&#333;nen anime tend to be.

Hehe.. yeah.. it's powerful at many stages. There is a particular scene in FMP that really got to me. I can't bear to retell it again here on the Escapist though.. but the series are truly worthwhile.

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Higurashi said:
Jonathan Hexley said:
Yup yup, similar tastes in some aspects.
No, I fully understand you. I watched Bleach as I had just begun watching anime, so I liked it. It's got some moments to it, but they're all lost around episode 50 or so. The anime should have just ended there. I stopped watching around 75 when it just got silly.. and I peeked at 200 or something (it's at over 225), and it had completely derailed. Just.. silly beyond measure. Same thing with Naruto, though I have to say it has kept me interested a lot longer. So many fillers I lost interest around 160 though.. and peeked at Shippuuden.
Most animes are at their best in their early stages.. or at least Sh&#333;nen anime tend to be.

Hehe.. yeah.. it's powerful at many stages. There is a particular scene in FMP that really got to me. I can't bear to retell it again here on the Escapist though.. but the series are truly worthwhile.
Anime is a strange thing, essentially because it's by the Japanese, who can make anything sad, hilarious, morbid, or just plain disturbing.
Also, I forgot to add Strawberry Panic to that list of anime I like. I haven't really found a Yuri series like that since.
Please don't judge me.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Evangelion. Watch it...NOW!

Other then that, R.O.D., but since it's already on your list, I have no more ideas. Those are my two favorites.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
DON'T watch Evangelion unless you like...

1) Depressed Teenagers and Angst
2) Unecessary Violence
3) Philosophical Bullshit
4) Unlikable, Unredeamable, Stupid Characters
5) Nonsensical religious references
6) Mind Fuck Endings

Instead watch RahXephon, it's sort of like NGE, except the characters are likeable and react like real human beings, it's also about music instead of religion, and it has a happy ending...sort of.

Scrapped Princess is a personal favorite, it's about a 15 year old girl prophesized to destroy the world on her 16th Birthday, it has a great ending and a really sharp story.

One Piece is, in my opinion, the only Long Running Show worth watching, it's consistantly creative and always fun, unlike Bleach or Naruto which fall into boring very quickly, Naruto is the worse of the two though.

Gurren Lagann is a bargain, you get 9 Episodes per volume, way better value than most series' out there. That and it's a rockin show.

The Big O is sort of like Batman mixed with Dick Tracy with Giant Robots thrown into the mix, it's wickedly snazzy and very cool.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Jonathan Hexley said:
Anime is a strange thing, essentially because it's by the Japanese, who can make anything sad, hilarious, morbid, or just plain disturbing.
Also, I forgot to add Strawberry Panic to that list of anime I like. I haven't really found a Yuri series like that since.
Please don't judge me.
Indeed, and so beautiful.. and all those things at once as well! Huh.. I haven't found a single good Yuri anime.. but I haven't looked very hard either. I will have to check it out. Heh, I feel more inclined to hug you.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
zeldakong64 said:
fullmetalangel said:
FLCL is pretty good, 6 episodes long.

Now and Then, Here and There is great too, another short one, 13 episodes I believe.
i dunno...if he he didnt like eva, how will he react to flcl?
I didn't like EVA but I loved FLCL, it's possible. Both are Mind Fucky... but one is funny and crazy whereas the other is depressing.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I would recommend Kanon 2006, but you seem to be one of those "shonen" (I think) guys.

The ones I'll actually recommend are:
Escaflowne (one of the actually good stories involving mecha's)
Now and Then, Here and There (must watch anime, but be emotionally prepared as it gets very sad)
Chaos;Head (be mentally prepared, because it can get psychologically murderous)
Gunslinger Girl (once more, mentally prepared for violence)

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Higurashi said:
Jonathan Hexley said:
Please don't judge me.
Indeed, and so beautiful.. and all those things at once as well! Huh.. I haven't found a single good Yuri anime.. but I haven't looked very hard either. I will have to check it out.
Heh, I feel more inclined to hug you.
If you must, go ahead and hug me.
Another show I'm also trying out is Trigun. I saw it on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses when ThatDudeInTheSuede reviewed it, and DAMN did it look awesome. One of the greatest instrumentals ever for the opening, and a nice twist on the 'Wild West' genre. It's looking pretty cool in my opinion.

GreenDevilJF

Dec 9, 2008
Hellsing, Detective conan, and Dragonball Z.

I highly recommend the first one, the second one is ok, and the third one because it just seems like something someone should see.

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
zeldakong64 said:
fullmetalangel said:
FLCL is pretty good, 6 episodes long.

Now and Then, Here and There is great too, another short one, 13 episodes I believe.
i dunno...if he he didnt like eva, how will he react to flcl?
I didn't like EVA but I loved FLCL, it's possible. Both are Mind Fucky... but one is funny and crazy whereas the other is depressing.
Same here. In fact FLCL is my favorite anime of all time, and NGE is my most hated.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
rottenbutter said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Same here. In fact FLCL is my favorite anime of all time, and NGE is my most hated.
I like EVA like I like Halo or Gears of War, it's not a bad product in and of itself, but it's fanbase and the degree to which it is overrated make me a little bit ill.

Similarly if you like FLCL but want a more story driven experience, pick up Gurren Lagann, it's a lot of fun.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Jonathan Hexley said:
Another show I'm also trying out is Trigun. I saw it on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses when ThatDudeInTheSuede reviewed it, and DAMN did it look awesome. One of the greatest instrumentals ever for the opening, and a nice twist on the 'Wild West' genre. It's looking pretty cool in my opinion.
Nah, it's ok. If you don't want to, it's fine. Ah, what the hell. *cuddle*
Aye, it does sound like a nice twist. I have a way of avoiding all things popular though..
Ehe, something I naturally have to recommend is Higurashi no naku koro ni. (and Kai)
Most think I got my nickname from that one-of-a-kind anime of course, but I didn't. Would be no shame if I did, though. Truly unique. <3

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Higurashi said:
Jonathan Hexley said:
Nah, it's ok. If you don't want to, it's fine. Ah, what the hell. *cuddle*
Aye, it does sound like a nice twist. I have a way of avoiding all things popular though..
Ehe, something I naturally have to recommend is Higurashi no naku koro ni. (and Kai)
Most think I got my nickname from that one-of-a-kind anime of course, but I didn't. Would be no shame if I did, though. Truly unique. <3
Yay, hugs for the win.
Anyway, I'll try and see if I can find that anime somewhere on the internet, (I give up trying to find anything on DVD around here.) and I would like to know what you're way of avoiding all things popular is, I might need it sometime.