Anime That My Girlfriend Would Like

Niniux

Apr 14, 2008
I want to find some anime that my girlfriend and I could watch together. The anime she has liked is exclusively Studio Ghibli stuff. Basically, she likes stuff that is not too fighting oriented, doesn't have super annoying/super girly characters and such...

Is there any other anime out there like Hayao Miyazaki's work?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Hmmm, giver her Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Beserk, a little Hellsing never hurt anyone and maybe some Initial D to get that street racing fix. Wait? No fighting?! What is that, like a hentia or something?

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Well, Studio Ghibli is pretty much the tops. I've seen almost all of it. Most of the things that come to mind are either violent or stupid though. Death Note will be recommended to you by everyone, but it's violent at times. Busou Renkin is great, but mostly fight scenes (that are awesome), same with Helsing and other things that come to mind. The only non-violent anime I can think of right now is like... Golden Boy, and that's just horrible.

And PurpleRain, it's 'hentai'. Not that I've watched any, I just take a basic Japanese class. (We're learning verbs tomorrow!)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
You could try The Place Promised in our Early Days, that movie by Makoto Shinkai. It's darker than a lot of Miyazaki's work, but it's an amazing movie.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Larenxis said:
And PurpleRain, it's 'hentai'. Not that I've watched any, I just take a basic Japanese class. (We're learning verbs tomorrow!)
Yeah sure, like I haven't heard that one before.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
PurpleRain said:
Larenxis said:
Yeah sure, like I haven't heard that one before.
Nice bait there. ^_^;

outbreak21093

May 2, 2008
im not sure if these arnt classified as "super anoying/girly girls" and such but i for one suggest lucky star... or azumanga daioh... both are funny if you are into their type of humor ^w^ hehe... like sakaki getting bitten by every cat she seems to lay hands on XD

also whats wrong with hentai? you act as though its horendously bad to like it... sure it isnt exactly "cool" but neither is incriminateing your self by mentioning it then abruptly saying you have never seen any when you say a hentai anime by name... tho i for one am not into hentai anime... im a hentai fan art girl ^w^

BaldingSteve

Apr 13, 2008
I would have to recommend the best anime ever, Fooly Cooly (FLCL). There is a little fighting but it is also very dramatic. The only problem is there's only 6 episodes, though no matter how many times you watch it it is still as good as the first.

Highbrow

Apr 25, 2008
Never been an anime fan but Afro Samurai is freakin' sweet. And Cowboy Bebop has a great soundtrack.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
outbreak21093 said:
sure it isnt exactly "cool" but neither is incriminateing your self by mentioning it then abruptly saying you have never seen any when you say a hentai anime by name...
I've only watched like three episodes of Golden Boy, but I don't think it counts as hentai.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
The only Anime I've ever liked was Death Note. It's smart enough to probably be liked by your girlfriend. I know I showed my girlfriend Death Note and she can't keep her hands off the manga and her eyes off the old show too. It's very "smart", as opposed to a lot of Anime where the characters are all "ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAND" and beat each other senseless.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
Ouran High School Host Club
Gankutsuou
Paranoia Agent (weird stuff, but good)
Tokyo Godfathers
Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop have fighting in them, but I would not call them "fighting oriented", like Bleach or Naruto, for instance
Welcome to the NHK
Flag
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Wolf's Rain
Peacemaker Kurogane - like Champloo and Bebop, it has fighting in it, but I wouldn't call it a fighter series
Death Note
Genshiken
Fruits Basket
Kyo Kara Maoh
Eureka 7, Ergo Proxy, and Samurai 7 are three more that are action focused, but I wouldn't consider them fighters. Let's put it this way - if they were games, they'd be action RPGs, not fighters.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
As a general rule (and I'm not trying to be sexist, so excuse me), Shoujo(SP?)-Anime/Manga tends to have less fighting and more about the developement of characters, romance, etc. This is because it is meant for teenage girls. Shonen-Manga/Anime is usually more action oriented, though mind-f--kers like "Death Note" also fall unto the Shonen category. This is often meant for teenage boys. Note, again, that these fall into stereotypes. There is always going to be anime that crosses the so-called barriersAs for advice, well, sorry, but I can't give you much... a good small anime (12 episodes), with some violence (but not much) is "Tsukihime."

GrowlersAtSea

Nov 14, 2007
I'm going to second (technically third) the Cowboy Bebop suggestion. Yea, it is action oriented, usually at least one good action or chase scene in each episode, but it seems to appear to a lot of people who generally aren't into most anime, from my experience. Story, music, animation, all top notch, and lacks a lot of the turn offs that many anime have (particularly Shounen).

FLCL is wonderful too, but it might be a bit too weird to try to appeal to someone who isn't all that into anime. It is a great series and has outstanding style, but it just probably isn't a good place to start.

Samurai Champloo might do for the same reason Bebop can, although I always felt in general that it felt too much like Bebop, and ultimately was like Shinichiro Watanabe paying homage to himself, which made it all feel kind of weird.

Paranoia Agent was also mentioned, which has very little action (except some towards the end when the show goes so far off the deep end it's amazing). But it's an interesting, weird, and short anime.

And Death Note as well as Monster may also be worth looking into, although I have mixed feelings on Death Note, and have not actually seen Monster, but always hear praise of it. I give Wolf's Rain a nod for it's sheer beauty, I loved it's look and feel, but thought the series as a whole fell short.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
If you want to check it out, you can preview Gankutsuou here [http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=995D1F43101D2513]. It's got some amazing design and animation. The visual style reminds me of The Beatles' Yellow Submarine [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1444637107417806305].

Sefret

Mar 6, 2008
Something that a girl would like? Hm... well I suggest you try Clannad, or Kanon(2006) or something.
Also, you might find Fullmetal Alchemist interesting, cause I did.(Maybe you'll find it too gory, though)
Full Metal Panic is pretty good too. Even though the ending pissed the s**t out of me...
Actually, you should definitely see Clannad.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Larenxis said:
outbreak21093 said:
sure it isnt exactly "cool" but neither is incriminateing your self by mentioning it then abruptly saying you have never seen any when you say a hentai anime by name...
I've only watched like three episodes of Golden Boy, but I don't think it counts as hentai.
Why is it that all Discusions on anime turn to Hentai. Very disturbing.

Anyway the magazine I'm reading has a paragraphy detailing the Anime series Cromarite High School. If you can beleive the Official Xbox Magazine than this series is an "ultra-surreal slapstick comedy with references to pop culture, both from west and east".

Very enthralling

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Fire Daemon said:
Why is it that all Discusions on anime turn to Hentai. Very disturbing.
Because people who like making blanket statements about the Japanese find hentai to be an easy target.

elffymon

Apr 11, 2008
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, its an old one but okish i guess for not much fighting.

however my favorites are : Full Metal Alchemist, Hell Sing, 7 Samurai, cowboy bebop.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Highbrow said:
Never been an anime fan but Afro Samurai is freakin' sweet. And Cowboy Bebop has a great soundtrack.
Remember, no violence right. Afro Samurai was chock-a-block full of violence.

I would recommend Ergo Proxy. If your girlfriend is the thinking type, she'll might like it, though it can get confusing at times.