Anime That My Girlfriend Would Like

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
Fushugi Yugi/Mysterious Play is definetely a popular one with female fans. Anything by Rumiko Takahashi she might also enjoy such as Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and InuYasha (shut up).

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
mshcherbatskaya said:
If you want to check it out, you can preview Gankutsuou here [http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=995D1F43101D2513]. It's got some amazing design and animation. The visual style reminds me of The Beatles' Yellow Submarine [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1444637107417806305].
I just finished watching Gankutsuou the other day, and I think it may be the best anime I've ever seen. Mind-blowingly good design, well crafted characters, and the story is so sad in places I was actually close to tears (and I'm a bloke).

And to top it all, it's based on The Count Of Monte Cristo, one of the best books ever written.
Yep, it's by Mahiro Maeda who was also involved in Evangelion, Escaflowne, and Samurai Champloo, among others. I love it, I think it is one of the best anime around. I just ordered the box set and you will hear the squeeing for miles when it finally arrives.

Darth Mobius said:
Jallil Vlos said:
You forgot one of my top favorites. Wolf's Rain. Than again I don't believe I told you this. So I can't really blame you.
Escapist friends, my girlfriend. Baby-girl, my friends.
Your girlfriend has good taste. Wolf's Rain is great, and the closing theme song makes me tear up.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
fnph said:
I'd suggest Cardcaptor Sakura, but she might not like that as the main characters are quite girly.
Also, the massive gay and lesbian undertones might be a bit much.

I'll second Full Metal Panic. It has fighting, but it's really more about the character arcs for Sousuke and Kaname.

If you can grab an English dub of "My Dear Marie", which is a three-episode OVA, but is fantastically funny, as well as heartfelt.

Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok for both one of the best representations of Norse mythology in anime, and a really good show.

D.N Angel might be good for her. Not much fighting at all, and it's big on characters and humor. Very romantic comedy.

Magikano too. It's a classic harem/magical girl show, but with some of the funniest lines I've ever heard.

Revolutionary Girl Utena might be a bit cerebral for her (or me, or anyone else for that matter), but she might like it.

Fushigi Yuugi is very much like a proto-Inuyasha with less violence and more on the romantic side (also, it eventually ends, which is always a plus).

Aside from those, Miyazaki is fantastic, especially Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Spirited Away.

GoddessTio

Dec 30, 2007
I second Ouran High School Host club. We've had both girls and boys as well as people who don't generally like anime enjoy it here.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
Genshiken is a well writte anime, but for the complete story you need the manga.

i would like to recomend rurori kenshin but theres fighting, but hey there are good charaters, good plot, episodes that are like small adventures without much action, and the main characters never try to kill someone, if i remember well

chobits is also a nice anime but im not sure if your girlfriend would like it, because of some characters

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well I can go off of some of the stuff my Girlfriend is fond of...

Habaine Renmei (sp?): A cute, sweet, cerebral and kind of sad fantasy mystery about people who wake up in a new world, full of strange rules with angel wings and halo's. It gets kind of dark later though.

Full Metal Alchemist: It has some thematic similarities with Miyazaki's work and has an excellent plot, though it's a bit on the angsty side sometimes.

Tokyo Godfathers: An interesting comedy/adventure/drama about three homeless people and a baby.

Paprika: Same director as above, full of humor, pretty imagery, some action and remarkably good techno music. This guy also did Paranoia Agent, which has been recommended by many above.

Gadguard: My Girlfriend loved it, cool, jazzy and full of personality. Also superhero/giant robots and a good story.

Cowboy Bebop: This one sort of transcends anime and appeals to everyone. Loads of action and comedy, a bit of drama, and it easily has the best soundtrack in Anime.

Rahxephon: Sort of like Neon Genesis Evangelion except about Music instead of Religion and the characters are a LOT more likable. Animated/Created by Bones, the studio behind FMA, Wolfs Rain and Eureka 7.

Eureka 7: Cute, Romantic, Action Packed with an ending that'll make you happy. It also has some truly excellent characters and great mecha action from the Macross School of Direction (as opposed to Gundam or Getter Robo).

Slayers: Girls like Slayers... this seems to be a universal law in anime.

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
I would recommend:

Midori Days: A guy wakes up to find his left hand has transformed into one of his classmates

Tokyo Godfathers: Just a nice story, with a transvestite...

Fruits Basket: Met only two girls who don't like this one

Saikano, The Ultimate Weapon: High school romance between a weaponized cyborg and a boy...

And even though its the complete opposite, Karas part 1 & 2, a total of 150 minutes of epic action and 20 minutes of actual plot. Very high Budget as well!

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Air, Kanon, or Clannad are nice, even if they may as well use the exact same set of characters. I'd say Air's got the most interesting story, Kanon's longer, and is generally better, but the girls in Clannad don't look like bug-eyed monsters.

Seldon said:
fnph said:
I'd suggest Cardcaptor Sakura, but she might not like that as the main characters are quite girly.
Also, the massive gay and lesbian undertones might be a bit much.
"Undertones"? Pfff. They're not nearly subtle enough to be called "undertones". You may as well say that Strawberry Panic had "lesbian undertones".

That said, CCS is a great series. Maybe show it to her when she's more acclimatised with anime in general.

Dark Shroud

Mar 18, 2008
I would suggest Revolutionary Girl Utena, use the movie version though.

I will also second Azumanga Daioh, this is a must watch series.

The Appleseed series is good. Armitage is similar, & good one with a strong female lead.

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
School Rumble, ROD TV, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Great Teacher Onizuka, Boogiepop Phantom, Full Metal Panic, Mahoromatic and Martian Successor Nadesicco are all great. Some are old series' too so you should be able to find them on the cheap :)