Anime Virgins

CarrieWhitaker

Oct 11, 2010
Wow, with some of the stuff mentioned, I'm surprised that Haruhidom haven't spoken up in the thread yet. But it's still only 3 pages, so... hehehe. :)

Though personally I don't recommend Melancholy as an initial foray, and if it's early, I'd suggest chronological order over anchronic order.

But then, maybe not, since the light novels are the original, and have more content. And are further along in the plot :p

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
CarrieWhitaker said:
Though personally I don't recommend Melancholy as an initial foray.
Probably why no-one else has... and SHnY/MoHS has received a lot of hate from Anime Escapists recently...

Besides, because of the endless eight, I don't really intend to watch it ever again...

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
Cowboy Bebop is perfect for situations like these or maybe some movies like Akira. Try to stay away from the "OMG KAWAII DESUU!" and the pure fan service (Highschool of the dead) at first.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Thamous said:
This is not what I had in mind when I read "Anime Virgins". Not at all.
Same for me. Glad I'm not the only one that read the thread title with slight confusion and/or possible interest.

As for the thread: Everyone has seen Anime sooner or later in their life, they're not "virgins" for it, but most likely they just don't give a damn about it. I saw DBZ when younger, Cowboy Bebop and the like, but honestly the newer stuff is just personally boring as hell and I refuse to watch or acknowledge it. Opinions are a pain in the ass, eh?

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
fundayz said:
I'd show them none. The vast vast majority of anime is terrible, and to encourage them to watch it is doing them a disservice.
90% of everything is terrible. It's up to the individual to find the things worth their time.

BarskeLars

Aug 13, 2009
The first I watched was full metal panic, then full metal alchemist, and also hajime no ippo, or figthing spirit or whatever it is in english. So I'd recommend those.

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
I kinda liked the first series of Naruto, you know, before it descended into a plethora of bad story telling and plot holes like most animes do by the time they reach their second season. First few episodes of Bleach where like that too, but that went down hill fast.

Oh, if I had to give an actual recommendation, I have a great respect for One Piece, it's creative, well animated, and has an awesome art style. It's the kind of show that says "maybe there's some potential in this whole anime thing", of coarse it's only a matter of time until you see you're first episode of "Needless" and loose faith in the genre altogether.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Like every other logical person i'd use Cowboy Bebop, cause it's awesome....or if i really hated the person and wanted to mentally scar them, then i'd use Elfen Lied.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
nin_ninja said:
Me and my friend were arguing over what show we would have someone who never watched anime, or at least never had much exposure, watch to get them into anime. He kept arguing something lighthearted like Love Hina so as not to scare or dissuade the person. I argued that the person might not enjoy the comedic antics often seen in anime, so something more serious with an overall plot like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would be better.

What are your opinions, and which show would you use?

EDIT: Another point I used was that Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have any fanservice moments (or at least none that I can recall) unlike most animes.
EDIT 2: Also, we weren't counting Miazaki's films. EX: My dad loves them, but would never watch anime without someone making him.
over 15-outlaw star, it has only one "fan service" episode and thats like the 4th to the end, and is done pretty much as a break from the action.

Under 15- id say naruto, bleach, or full metal alchemist all those are easy to get into but id recomend they go read the manga first.

Now while cowbot beebop is a great show and should be watched by everyone it is not a good animie to start people off on as it tends to jump around a bit and has a few episodes that have all the feelings of a finaliy but arnt.

oh and gundam wing is a good gateway animie cause its mostly giant robots fighting:)

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Death Note isn't that long and it's pretty interesting.
I really liked elfen lied but Im not sure how the total noobs would react.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Dragon ball through Z of course. it would give them appreciation of the fillers that they shall endure if they so choose to pursue watching more anime.

Galdrack

Jan 31, 2011
Irridium said:
Cowboy Bebop.

Its a perfect anime for people who haven't seen anime.
It's not my favourite anime, though it is one of the best I've seen, but I definatly think it's the best to introduce people to anime.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo for starters, and depending on what they enjoyed from there, something different from that. Death Note, Monster, FMA, for a more heavier audience. Naruto, Bleach, Soul Eater, for the more laid-back action-loving ones. You know the drill.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
nin_ninja said:
Me and my friend were arguing over what show we would have someone who never watched anime, or at least never had much exposure, watch to get them into anime. He kept arguing something lighthearted like Love Hina so as not to scare or dissuade the person. I argued that the person might not enjoy the comedic antics often seen in anime, so something more serious with an overall plot like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would be better.

What are your opinions, and which show would you use?

EDIT: Another point I used was that Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have any fanservice moments (or at least none that I can recall) unlike most animes.
EDIT 2: Also, we weren't counting Miazaki's films. EX: My dad loves them, but would never watch anime without someone making him.
I've had the exact same conversation/ argument with my friends. And we've even tested it

It turns out that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya works pretty well, Mostly because it has a pretty good mix of action, humor, weird stuff, drama, awesome music, and fan service. and it's also short. When I showed it to my friend who's never seen amime before she went through it in one sitting.
And the friends of my other two friends who watched Hellsing and Clanned respectively both decided that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was the best.

Mostly though it depends on what the person likes.
Cowboy Bebop is also an awesome first choice mostly because it's more western-ish than most amime.

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
Thamous said:
This is not what I had in mind when I read "Anime Virgins". Not at all.
Hahaha yeah man me too :D ! *Sigh* dirty thoughts...

The first anime I liked was Princess Mononoke, the shows on TV like Naurto, DBZ are pretty much crap. So yeah I think Princess Monoke is a good first anime film (or Grave of the Fireflies), I don't know about tv shows though (the ones that I've seen here in Germany are all shit).

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Dryaxx said:
Really depend on age, gender and genres the person like. I'd suggest a good 'first time' would be Akira. Since it's pretty much one of the best animated movies ever made.
Agreed, mostly because it WAS one of the very first anime movies I ever watched (strangely enough, it was at a christmas party...)

As for additions, agreed on FMA and Deathnote, and if it hasn't been mentioned, Trigun is a personal fave of mine.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Halaxis said:
TTGL or Code Geass. Both are over the top and hammy enough to earn anyones respect.
That's kind of the problem,any sane "anime virgin" would shun these ideas for they were not the normal type,weird shit that flies by people's heads is a sign of unaccessability.
Why do you think I wouldn't suggest FLCL or Panty and Stocking...because they would confuse the poor person to insanity. Baby steps man,baby steps.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I would start with a solid gundam. Maybe wing or 00.
Perhaps even Code Geass?
Maybe :Ghost in the Shell or Ergo Proxy if they like that kinda atmosphere.