Anime

SpiderLotus

Jan 31, 2008
Now I dunno how many of you are anime fans, personally I highly respect a number of shows/movies (Death Note, Samurai Champloo, Tekkon Kinkreet) but am kinda retarded when it comes to the new/obscure stuff. So I wanted to know what you guys like.

Also, whataya all think about games made after shows. I happened to have loved Budokai but then again, that's chiefly cus I was a fan. I always felt they never really captured the feel of the show (anyone play the samurai jack video game? How was that?)
I also am to believe that there is a Death Note game on the DS. Apparently, it plays like the party game Mafia but I am left wondering how they do that with 2 people max.

mrbunny

Dec 5, 2007
rofl.. ummm where to begin? New goods ones, or just plain good ones?

[THE NEW]
Ouran high school, Welcome to the NHK, Code Geass, Mushishi, Black Lagoon, Kanon 2 (if your into that sortve thing)

[THE OLD]
Trigun, Evangelion, Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Full Metal Alchemist, Last Exile, Elfen Lied, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Hunter X Hunter, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Scrapped Princess, Ghost in the Shell, Utawarerumono, Hellsing...

... wow this is taking a long time, imo just google it before you get something...

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
I've watched pretty much every Studio Ghibli movie. They're almost all fabulous. Busou Renkin is a good show too. Maybe I'm just a lance enthusiast...

Unknown_Exile

Feb 3, 2008
Some of my favourite animes are Naruto, Bleach, D.Gray-Man, some of the Gundam series (such as Seed, Seed Destiny and Zero-Zero), Full Metal Alchemist, Trinity Blood, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Gun X Sword, and well over a dozen other animes.

Also what site/s do you use to download your anime from?

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I'm pretty mainstream. Akira is my all-time favourite, along with many of the Miyazaki films. I don't think I ever get very obscure with anime.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Larenxis said:
...Maybe I'm just a lance enthusiast...
Why thank you! Always appreciate a fan!

/out of context quote

Personally though, I'm not much of an anime fan. But video games based off anime licenses I know. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is really fun on the Wii. Lost a ton of multiplayer hours on that one. Same goes for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2 (Though it does get old once you've done everyone's special move a few times). Though I haven't played it, I've heard Bleach: The Blade of Fate for the DS is a fantastic game. It's also the one anime series I really love, so you can't go wrong in my eyes.

Oh, and I saw Jump Ultimate Stars (or whatever) at a booth during PAX. That game is like Smash Brothers times ten. Every freaking manga you can think of is represented in that game.

MaraN88

Jan 14, 2008
Knight Templar said:
Fullmetal Alchemist > anything.

Seriously, its that good.
Oh yes :p You have to check out Fullmetal Alchemist if you havent seen it! Otherwise most have been said.. Cowboy Bebop and Akira are alltime classics but you should also se Elfen Lied. And also everything you can find over att KickAssAnime.

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
MaraN88 said:
Knight Templar said:
Fullmetal Alchemist > anything.

Seriously, its that good.
Oh yes :p You have to check out Fullmetal Alchemist if you havent seen it! Otherwise most have been said.. Cowboy Bebop and Akira are alltime classics but you should also se Elfen Lied. And also everything you can find over att KickAssAnime.
Elfen Lied? Not everyone can take massive amounts of blood, violence, gore, suggestive themes, nudity, cousins in love, and death by pen.

If you're into the light-hearted sort of thing, there's always Haruhi, A bit darker ones like Fate stay night (Which I'm not a fan of myself, but it exists), code geass (DAMN YOU CLIFF HANGERS! DAMN YOU TO HELL!), and, if you want something obscure, Tsukihime.

As for games, I have to utilize this opertunity to point out the game Melty Blood, even if it is in japanese.

Larenxis said:
I've watched pretty much every Studio Ghibli movie. They're almost all fabulous. Busou Renkin is a good show too. Maybe I'm just a lance enthusiast...
Busou Renkin, that's the one with alchemy and the butterfly-dude-villian, and the Kid borrowing his sister's clothes for his friend, but no one ever questioning it, right?

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Somehow i get myself less and less involved with Anime.

For me, the true "Golden Age" (Trigun, Noir, FMA, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop and so forth) kinda ended with the likes of GITS: Standalone Complex and Samurai Champloo, and since than i was pretty much disappointed by just about every Anime Series i invested myself in (well, at least there were still good movies from time to time, like "The Girl who leapt through time" and the Satoshi Kon stuff)

Code Geass had got my hopes up again for a time, but the hilariously stupid plot twist in the last few episodes kinda ruined it for me.

I occassionally look into the new stuff, but unless some fun manga series get animes (Deadman Wonderland ist devilish fun) and/or unless the guy who made Cowboy Bebop and Champloo makes something new, i might never be interested that much in anime again...

MaraN88

Jan 14, 2008
Elfen Lied? Not everyone can take massive amounts of blood, violence, gore, suggestive themes, nudity, cousins in love, and death by pen.
Still.... that death by pen thing is awsome! :p

WW

Jan 24, 2008
If you have time to read all this then that means you can also read this:

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modules.php?name=Anime
(Don't look at the ratings)

Go and read because what I see here is that we have a total mix-up from the OLD Classics like GitS Series, Cowboy and others with the most retarded shit out there like Bleach and Naruto (not to many of those, I know).

SpiderLotus- what genre do you like? Let's start from this.

Akirasfriend

Jan 6, 2008
As you can tell by my name, Akira may possibly be a favourite of mine.
Other than that, definetly check out the Studio Ghibli films and anything that's been touched by Mamoru Oshii, the God of Anime. Many people will say Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh (which he didn't direct but I believe he wrote) or Blood: the Last Vampire (that's a lie, not enough people mention that one nowadays). They are all very worthy, but for me his Magnum Opus is the Patlabor series of films. Truly wonderful. A combination of slow moving detective story and fast-paced Mecha action, all slapped with a liberal dose of Oshii's wonderful philosophies on Life, the Universe and Everything. Please, please check them out.
Also worhty of mention are the Vampire Hunter D films, Project-Ako (four main films and two 'alternative universe' stuff), Appleseed, Metropolis, Space Adventure Cobra and Memories - the latter of which is the best collection of short anime films I've ever seen.
Series-wise, I'm not a big fan of many 'new' anime TV series. If you want some older stuff, try New Dominion Tank Police (the manga is good too), Outlaw Star, Dragonball (not Z or GT ) and the older stuff of Pokémon (if you haven't already seen it, which I doubt).
Most of the stuff I mentioned is fairly old, anime-wise, but we must not forget these classics.

Get to it.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
Great anime? Well, when I was nine years old, I watched Teknoman (The dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade). Nine years later, and having been reintroduced to anime via Naruto, I rediscovered that part of my past.

Other than that? Vandread earns a mention for some nice "Gattai!" scenes, but the cake is truly taken by Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. That entire series is one huge Gattai sequence, and quite possibly the most epic anime ever. It's so much fun to watch.

When it comes to manga, however, I must say I'm becoming a bit of an Adachi fan. Rough was a nice find, but now that I'm moving onto Touch I find myself saying "Wait, wasn't he in Rough?" It's like he's the male version of Rumiko Takahashi, churning out the same things over and over again.

At least he doesn't stretch things on and on and on until they end without an actual conclusion, though. I remember Maison Ikkoku quite vividly. "Oh no! I haven't advanced the plot at all! Now it's time for my customary ending and it's coming so fast it looks like a train wreck! Theygetmarriedbye!"

CajunGal

Feb 7, 2008
I'm surprised no one's said Furi Kuri or Bastard!!. The exclamations are part of the title; I'm not wigging out or anything.

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
Onmi said:
One Piece, Bleach, FMA, Berserk, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Detective Conan (Manga), Pokemom Special Manga (Not Anime), Black Cat feels like a New Age Cowboy Bebop but not as good.

those are my favorites, and i will defend any of them (specifically One Piece, Bleach and Pokemon)and i seriously suggest before anyone Slams my list they drag there ass down to a Manga store or Scan-site, Read/watch
THE
ENTIRE
FUCKING
SERIES
thats right, all of it, i read every Naruto chapter. why? not cause it's good but so i can debate the sheer shittines to the Narutards

I would provide a link to a bunch of hosted Manga but i haven't checked the TOS Recently and i dont wanna be banned
however Serebii.net has good summaries of Pokemon Special Manga, Indeed its more of a 12-15 year olds Manga but i love it all the same
You watched all of Naruto just to argue that is sucks?

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Furthermore, Detective Conan Came out as an anime in Canadia, as "Case closed". And it was one of the most awesomest things I've ever seen. I love how it's like one of those 5 minute mystery, where you keep thinking about who dunnit, and see if you we're right.