Anime

SpiderLotus

Jan 31, 2008
Murian, saw alot of cowboy bebop. Took me a while to get into it but it blows my mind now. The movie rocked. (the real folk blues does something to me that not many songs can)

I saw a handful of Bleach. Liked it but stopped rather early as I couldn't find the next episodes.

Anyone wanna recomend an Anime where 16 year olds aren't ridiculously powerfull? Seriously, Japan has some wierd ideas about youth (some wieeeerd ideas)

WW

Jan 24, 2008
SpiderLotus said:
Anyone wanna recomend an Anime where 16 year olds aren't ridiculously powerfull? Seriously, Japan has some wierd ideas about youth (some wieeeerd ideas)
Seriously, you aren't helping us here... you only sad "Recommend me some cool anime".

Now shape up and tell us what you want in it, one thing you just mentioned:
1. No OVERPOWERD kiddies.

What else?

Spartanspork said:
Bleach is most definately the best anime show i have ever seen, its amazing.
I pity you.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Not really a fan of that...stuff, anymore. Sorry, really don't have anything nice to say about it. My recommendation is that you don't watch it; you've seen one, you've then seen pretty much the flow of anime from the specific genre:spiky hair, big swords, happy go lucky attitude. That's just my opinion though.

Wildcard6

Dec 14, 2007
The favorite Anime is probably Miyazaki's: My Neighbor Totoro (for the kids, mostly), Laputa (US Title, Castle in the Sky), Princess Mononoke, Porko Rossa, and of course, Spirited Away. In most cases, the dubbed versions are top notch.

I'm also a huge fan of nearly everything Ghost in the Shell. I found the first movie to be sort of so-so (too much of my favorite stuff left out from the manga) but everything else amazes me. The Stand Alone Complex series' are both crazy good. I will admit they spend a lot of time talking about the meaning of life, but then there'll be a nice cyborg helicopter battle to mix things up. Awesome.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
i keep myself entretained with stuff like genshiken and naruto these days, i have to search for it so i dont have time for easily check all the options.

oh and the complains about long screams, talking and stuff... well i think the problem with that is that a good numbers of animes are based on a manga and most cases the agument presented in every issue isnt long enough for a 30 mins episode so they try fill part of the time, or at least thats whative percieved

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
broadband said:
[...]they try fill part of the time, or at least thats whative percieved
Despite having no qualms about throwing in random actual filler stuff into the mix for little apparent reason.

Baroque

Feb 10, 2008
My problem with anime games is that if they are in 3d they look so ugly. Trying to make a 2d character in 3d its like fail at the beginning, but if you make a 2d game it will work in the most cases.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
One of the things to consider when looking for new anime is the production company, since the production companies tend to stake out a stylistic territory and generate anime accordingly. For instance, I would expect anime coming out of Gonzo to feature lots of eye-candy and action, Bones tends toward clean, fluid animation and solid storytelling, and Gainax is half experiemental, half commercial.

These are broad generalizations of course, but if you really like a specific anime, take a look at who made it. You will probably notice a pattern developing, and that will help you decide whether to spend your time (and maybe your money, to torrent or not to torrent) on a title you don't know much about.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Anime is quite a fickled thing to get into. Every series is different in a distinct way, even if they seem similiar. I like a handful myself, but I find myself an manga person. And dont think because you saw one you have seen them all.

Anime:
Midori Days- a slice of life anime with a twist. No major problems here.
School days- a high scholl romance story gone horribly wrong( but horribly right for me)
When they cry- suspense and frights galore. Just dont try to make sense of the story adaptation too hard.
Bleach- great presentation and action. Unfortunetly its too plot driven and you can care less for half the characters. Great openings too
One piece- usually when a series goes for so long, it goes stale. This is the exception.
Death note: most original series in a long time. A lot of talking though

Manga:
Ral Grad: just started reading but great so far
Dragon Drive: Pretty generic, but improves over every volume
Roji and Muyho's BSI: A somewhat villian of the week story. cool artwork too.
Zombie Powder: Great series that died before its potential was reached.
Eyeshield 21: DO NOT IGNORE BECAUSE IT IS A SPORTS MANGA! Great stories, interesting characters, great action. I cant find any problems with it.

Thats just a few for now.

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
Never read manga but I've watched a few Anime series.

I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Samurai X.

Watching all of Naruto out of an obsessive compulsive urge to finish off the series was quite possibly the biggest waste of my life in my long history of wasting my time because of obsessing over stupid crap.

I recently gave up on Bleach and realized I should have quit a couple dozen episodes ago.

Kenshin was pretty good in the beginning then it really lost me and it took effort to finish off the series.

I just watched Evangelion all the way through and while it was pretty good it was also pretty disappointing and I ended up just skipping the last two episodes and reading about them online so I could tie the whole story off without being bored to tears watching that crap.

I generally just watch what people tell me to watch. The only time I strayed from that was to watch Ghost in the Shell and 2nd gig which I found completely by accident and quickly became entirely engrossed in.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
i've only read really two mangas in my quest for closer, mahoromatic and berserk.

it's kinda hard to get into bleach with cartoon network showing the same 5 episodes every week, so i went and downloaded the whole freaking series from japan and have to say i love it.

berserk was and is still my favorite anime ever, it rocked hardcore on a level i didn't know was possible until i watched it.

naruto can go fuck himself for all the people telling me to try it, it sucks.

i just finished watching an anime i picked up kinda on a whim, samurai 7. so very very cool and funny too.

the mahoromatic anime is a great watch even if the ending is a little hard to get. once i read the manga however i understood it pretty well. but i'd recomend mahoromatic to anyone who thinks battle androids don't make good house maids.

Big O- i was surprised by how much i enjoyed this series, once they finished it, kinda fun, kinda weird, and overall not good enough to screw anything up royally.

evangelion i watched mostly because people treated it like the holy grail of anime when in fact it is a steaming pile of horse crap, no cool characters, maybe a couple good fight scenes and abcolutley no story cohesion.

FLCL-great 6 episodes of random craziness.

Ninja scroll-yep they made a tv show outa one of the best anime movies i've ever seen how could i not like it. there are plenty of things toned down for the sake of putting it on tv, no giant rock man rape in this one, but it pushes the line enough to make up for it. good story, good characters, great music, overall kick ass series.

that death note cartoon network picked up is actually kinda interesting, i don't really care about it but it's amusing overall.

yu-yu hakusho-great series i really enjoyed it and i'm mad they took it off thew air before getting to some of the really great fights.

dbz is still ok to me, sure there's alotta bad things about it but it's hard to dis the show that got me into anime to begin with.

tenchi- just about anything with tenchi in the title was really good, i ahvn't seen this tnechi gpx yet but other than that i liked all the other ones they made.

golden boy- quite possibly one of the funniest things i have ever seen, ever. it's such a great 6 episode series that not only did i buy it, all my friends bought it too so they could have a copy to watch when they wanted to instead of borrowing mine.

baki the grappler- surprising once i got fios i found the funimation channel where they play only the oldest anime they have to make you buy the new stuff, baki, blue gender, case closed, stuff like that, but baki is a great series thats all about ultimate fighting and really has some kick ass fights and good humor thanks to a color commentator.

i'm kinda an anime nerd though i don't say otaku or nothing like that so i know there's more i just can't think of any right now

Rapid-Fire

Feb 11, 2008
In my opinion, if you havn't watched at least one of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kanon or Air, then you've not watched enough great anime. I usually critisize films or TV series very sternly, but I really can't fault these Anime, they're just sublime.

roo18

Oct 8, 2007
Personally, I loathe anime with a flaming passion. I don't know what it is but I can't watch any of it apart from Pokemon, but that's just because it was a big part of my life when I was a sad, sad child.

I can't stand the anime games because they all feel the same to me. I can't enjoy the films either, mostly because I end up hating ever character as much as the ones in the Mary-Kate and Ashley movies.

MagnusElden

Feb 23, 2008
sammyfreak said:
Pokemon is awesome
Get a life. I like anime alot. Not counting Pokemon, Digimon etc and various "hentai"s. I have 350 Gb of anime on a separated hardisk.^^
Rapid-Fire said:
In my opinion, if you havn't watched at least one of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kanon or Air, then you've not watched enough great anime. I usually critisize films or TV series very sternly, but I really can't fault these Anime, they're just sublime.
And i have them all and finnished them. Twice. Or more.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
hey, don't dis hentai, hentai rocks, some of the hentai's i've seen are the funniest or just plain craziest things i've ever seen if you ask me you've not lived till you've seen a vagina take that kind of punishment, puts anything i've ever done to shame. hahahaha

fnph

Oct 13, 2007
Rapid-Fire said:
I haven't seen enough great anime then.
Having only seen three anime series and a couple of movies I don't have much background, but I really did like Cardcaptor Sakura (not the Nelvana dub, they raped and murdered it).
Also, Castle in the Sky by Studio Ghibli is just magic, as is Spirited Away.

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
My advice would be, start reading up on different manga titles. You like the story/characters,etc go find out if there is an anime out there for it. The quality of the two is often very different with the fillers and fluctuating animation quality. Heck, take bleach which was awesome the first arc and has really gone downhill lately. Recently it started going back up in quality, but naruto really surpassed it atm imo. I'm sure you know of both bleach and naruto, two of the more famous fighting anime. Shippuuden is awesome and from reading the manga, it will get even better.

Death note, meh.. I've watched this for a while but then the actual storyline gets all weird and turned around, completely destroying the buildup after around episode 15-17. I honestly didn't get why the hell the writers did this instead of prolonging the first storyline which was pretty decent.

Some others to consider are gundam 00, giant fighting machines are always nice. It starts off a bit slow, with the emokids piloting the damn things but after a while you really get to know everybody and the story doesn't seem as shallow as before. Animation quality superb as well.

Rosario the vampire, I just found out the manga for this and it was an incredible fun read. The anime is well drawn but the animators seem to have a fetish for upskirt shots of the girls, don't ask me why. It's really distracting, but trust me the story gets better and some interesting things happen to TSukune. Currently tracking this one anyway.

Anybody else sometimes scared of trying out anime after reading the full manga? Alot of times the anime just stretches everything endlessly, shitty voiceacting ruins the characters and censorship kicks in so you get black blood and other crap. I doubt anybody here actually likes Rukia for instance in bleach, she's weak in the manga but she got plain annoying to watch after the anime.

MagnusElden

Feb 23, 2008
nightmare_gorilla said:
hey, don't dis hentai, hentai rocks, some of the hentai's i've seen are the funniest or just plain craziest things i've ever seen if you ask me you've not lived till you've seen a vagina take that kind of punishment, puts anything i've ever done to shame. hahahaha
Probobly not too hard.^^ One that kind of impressed me, for a hentai that is, was ENDLESS SERENADE. It got a actual good story behind it.