Animes That Have Blown You Away

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, I suppose Higurashi no Naku Koro ni back when I first began watching anime, and later on Baccano! and Spice & Wolf.

GabeZhul said:
The only reason Fate/Zero does any better is because it is based on the prequel novels written by the same author, so it could be adapted straight and true to the original without having to mix the elements of different routes (which more often than not leads to horrible results).
As far as I know, Fate/Zero isn't written by Kinoko Nasu, but by Gen Urobuchi. Another reason it, and the anime derived from it, is of superior quality.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Imperator_DK said:
Well, I suppose Higurashi no Naku Koro ni back when I first began watching anime, and later on Baccano! and Spice & Wolf.

GabeZhul said:
The only reason Fate/Zero does any better is because it is based on the prequel novels written by the same author, so it could be adapted straight and true to the original without having to mix the elements of different routes (which more often than not leads to horrible results).
As far as I know, Fate/Zero isn't written by Kinoko Nasu, but by Gen Urobuchi. Another reason it, and the anime derived from it, is of superior quality.
Sorry, my mistake there. I actually knew it was written by Urobuchi, it just slipped my mind when I wrote that. I usually just handle all Type-Moon related writers under the same umbrella, so that might be the reason... -.-'

As for the "superior quality" part, I respectfully disagree. F/Z is no better or worse than F/SN storywise, and I actually prefer Nasu's writing over Urobuchi's, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

However, in case of the adaptation, I would still say it is quite blatantly obvious that the reason F/SN became a mediocre mess was because the director of the anime wanted to cram a bit from every route of the original visual novel into it, leading to a confusing, inconsistent and badly paced mess (I think if you do the math, the F/SN anime ends up with roughly the same original runtime/adaptation runtime ratio as the Avatar - The Las Airbender series and the Shyamalan movie...), while F/Z pretty much only had to follow the manuscript of the original high-quality novels and translate them into high quality animation.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
GabeZhul said:
As for the "superior quality" part, I respectfully disagree. F/Z is no better or worse than F/SN storywise, and I actually prefer Nasu's writing over Urobuchi's, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
I prefer Urobuchi's sharp, foreboding writing over Nasu's tendency for esoteric musings. But yes, different strokes, both have their qualities.

However, in case of the adaptation, I would still say it is quite blatantly obvious that the reason F/SN became a mediocre mess was because the director of the anime wanted to cram a bit from every route of the original visual novel into it, leading to a confusing, inconsistent and badly paced mess (I think if you do the math, the F/SN anime ends up with roughly the same original runtime/adaptation runtime ratio as the Avatar - The Las Airbender series and the Shyamalan movie...), while F/Z pretty much only had to follow the manuscript of the original high-quality novels and translate them into high quality animation.
I agree.

But I'd also say that Urobuchi's sharper, more concise writing is easier to adapt into an anime script/show rather than tell. And better suited for an "intelligent action" series, which both Fate animes were aiming to be.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I've only seen one anime that blew me away (don't get me wrong, I've liked most of the anime I watched, but not even my favorites did more than simply entertain me). That anime is Shuffle!

I usually enjoy this kind of seinen, but Shuffle! was remarkable because it had strong character reasons for some of the typical harem comedy tropes (it certainly had a unique take on the Childhood Friend character). The show also took a turn for the morbid at times, but it worked. Not to mention the changes in tone between story arcs allowed the show to continue for longer than most other anime of its kind and remain interesting.

My only complaint is that the characters who are supposed to be gods are just elves with short ears, and the demons are elves with long ears. The designs could've used more creativity while falling into the realm of sexy humanoid females. But that's just a minor personal gripe. Overall, it's still awesome, funny, and engaging.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
GabeZhul said:
Time for a little history lesson. Fate/Zero is not a prequel to the Fate/Stay Night anime, but for the original visual novel. The original F/SN is an almost 100 hours long, well-written epic story in three distinct arcs. The Fate route which focuses on Saber and sets up the Grail War and its rules, the Unlimited Blade Works route which focuses on Rin and Archer and is deconstructing the protagonist's ideals, and the Heaven's Feel route, which focuses on Sakura and the machinations and intents behind the forming of the Grail War and its final conclusion. That is three completely different stories branching from the same start, with completely different events, confrontations and endings and each about thirty to forty hours long... and they tried to cram all of it into one 24 episode anime series. Do you see the problem yet?

That said, the one thing I can agree with you about is that one should not go out their way to see the F/SN anime. They should read the visual novel (it has been translated for years). :p
I will admit, my friend knew alot of the bullshit that happened with Fate Stay/Night and the failed attempt to try and incorporate all three endings into one so yeah I figured that would be a definite reason.

Honestly though, the only way it could ever be good is if it stuck with the Heaven's Feel route which I really felt was an appropriate end to that story with Shirou and Kirei both fist fighting to the death and Shirou's body eventually giving out due to his body healing over his wounds with swords.

(Also UBW was decent but Gilgamesh lost to some serious bullshit reasons)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
[HEADING=2]Baccano![/HEADING]
Yes.
This is good, yes.

Though the first series that I saw that I really "couldn't stop watching" would probably be Cowboy Bebop. Goddamn that's a good anime.

Also Gurren Lagann because fuck me do they never stop raising the stakes. If you watch the movies, stuff only stops getting bigger ONCE THEY START STANDING ON UNIVERSES.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
There've been several animes that I've been "pleasanlty surprised" by, but I would not call it "blown away." Blown away... the only one that qualifies is (like others have said) Cowboy Bebop.

I've been surprised by the quality of a few. SE Lain, Trigun, Speed Grapher, and Gungrave. Others have been right up my alley because of plotlines or gimmics like Outlaw Star and Last Exile. But blown away... only Bebop.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Tiger and Bunny- Sure the animation were great and all but thanks to the characters, the setting and aswell the script/ story/ plot aspect of it. I never knew they can pulled off the Western aspect of superheroes so well!

PS (By the way OP, what is your Gundam collection as I'm into Gundam models too).
Sweetness! Glad to see you like Tiger and Bunny as well. Definitely one of my all time favorite Hero Animes.
The only thing that pissed me off about the anime was where it left off at the very end when the Stern Dollar Bills all appeared to have the Uroboros Watermark on them.

THEY LEFT IT AT THAT!

And concerning my Gundam models.
So far I have:

- A high grade Gale Strike Gundam from Seed vs Astray
- A Master Grade Death Scythe Gundam, The Endless Waltz Version
and a Master Grade Wing Gundam (EW version as well)

Right now, Im thinking of getting the Master Grade Sinanju Mobile Suit KA Version since I'd prefer painting it instead of using stickers like the OVA version.

Or possibly might get the Master Grade Epyon

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
Cowboy Bebop is the only anime that?s ever been anymore than a half-decent way to pass my time. In fact, in a genre (sub-genre?) that I typically make a point of avoiding it really astounded me. I've even watched it through its entirety multiple times - the number of series I've done that for is minute.

Sporting impressive visuals, a fantastic soundtrack, brilliant world building and a cogent, enjoyable story in spite of the occasional lost-in-translation moment? That?s about as close as it gets to blowing me away.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
[HEADING=2]Cowboy Bebop[/HEADING]

Regarded by many to be an all time classic, and for good reason. Even the two or three bum episodes have some semblance of effort put into them.

Oh, and most things by Studio Ghibli.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Hataraku Maou-sama! (Aka The Devil Is a Part Timer)

It's still on going and so far this has been one of the most wildly amusing animes I have seen in my entire life.

Also Nichijou and Daily Lives of High School Boys. Both of those need to be seen to be believed so I'm not even going to bother explaining, If you haven't watched the last two go watch them. NOW.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
[HEADING=2]Fairy Tail[/HEADING]

I don't know what I was expecting when I first started watching it, but I definitely wasn't expecting a heartfelt series which wasn't afraid to mock itself and/or play up to a lot of typical anime tropes.

I genuinely adore that show. <3

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Madara XIII said:
The series is definitely good, but I highly recommend the movie above all else.
Heck the second movie was one hell of a trip itself.
Which film? Granted, the first one had horrid character design but was otherwise brilliant. The second, to me, was very 'eh' as its visuals gave me a bit of a headache (says the massive fan of Gankutsuou... ¬_¬ ) and some of it detracted from the plot. As for SSS, it felt like an extended episode, but then again, that may be the way it was produced. *shrug*

OT: Not really sure...

Can't really say what's 'blown me away', only what I enjoy or think is really good. For 'blown away' I can only point to really really really depressing stuff... like Grave of the Fireflies, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, aspects of Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei (not particularly depressing, but still 'deep' stuff). *shrug*

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
hazabaza1 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yes.
This is good, yes.

Though the first series that I saw that I really "couldn't stop watching" would probably be Cowboy Bebop. Goddamn that's a good anime.

Also Gurren Lagann because fuck me do they never stop raising the stakes. If you watch the movies, stuff only stops getting bigger ONCE THEY START STANDING ON UNIVERSES.
Actually, I am planning to watch Gurren Lagann soon (have the DVDs here) I might as well start now if what you said is true.

What do you suggest, dub or sub?
Subs all the way. From what I've seen of the dub it's kind of... awful? Yeah, awful is good.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
hazabaza1 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yes.
This is good, yes.

Actually, I am planning to watch Gurren Lagann soon (have the DVDs here) I might as well start now if what you said is true.

What do you suggest, dub or sub?
Go with Dub. Both the Dub and the Sub are exceptionally well done, but to me the English really sells it.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I caught this on its original airing in Australia in 1996 (I think) and I was blown away. It presented me with themes, art direction, character arcs and even music that I had considered possible in an animation. It got me into anime fully, a process started by honorable mention to this concept, Tekkaman Blade and as a whole it started my love affair with animation and comics. Without it as a formative influence, I would never have discovered Justice League (the series) and through that, comics in general. No Superman, no Batman, no Wonder Woman, no Watchman, no Sin City, none of that and God knows what else. Hell, without NGE I'd never have gotten into classical music; although pieces like Ode to Joy, Pachabel's Canon, and the Hallelujah Chorus mean very different things to me as they might most fans of the music.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has, for better or for worse informed everything I look for in entertainment, and how I look at it. I regard it highly, flaws and all.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Imperator_DK said:

GabeZhul said:
From what I understand, it was essentially a joint creation. Nasu gave Urobuchi the storyboard and the characters, Urobuchi wrote it, and then Nasu also filled in as the role of editor. Which is what Urobuchi needed, given he was in a writing slump at that point.

I agree with your Urobuchi v Nasu in terms of how they translate to anime though. Nasu's way of writing demands a lot of space and time, it can't be contracted into a time-limited anime. Hell, Emiya and Archer talking as he walks down the steps in UBW is as long as a single episode. Urobuchi's writing doesn't focus on things that have to be spoken out, so he can do intelligent anime as well.

OT: Jormungand up until the last episode. That blew me away in a different way. In the how-could-you-fuck-up-this-bad kind of way.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Time of Eve and Usagi Drop, They are what slice of life shows should aspire to be. Both surprised me with how good they where and how well the tackle their respective themes.Also I'm full aware of how Usagi Drop truly ends but I'm only talking about those 11 episodes of pure magic.

Speaking of magic:princess Tutu. I do not care who you are,what gender you are or if you like the magical girl genre,watch this.It's about a girl who's also a duck that is also the titular character(not as confusing as it sounds) who saves people by dancing. The series is bittersweet on the whole and like Baccano! sets to play with the idea of the story though in a decidedly different way. It draws from classic plays and ballets and infuses their style into the show via music and characters.

Glass Mask(2005): It's great and blew me away that I actually sat through the entity of the series(51 episodes). It's simply following around a young acting prodigy through the ups and downs of her life. Her acting is amazing,the story can genuinely surprise and all the relationships,romantic and non, are great. It stays calm never resorting to bombastic resumes to make it seem "epic",it tells this girl's story and we're just along for the ride.