Announcing The Escapist's New Mobile Site

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
HQ for everyone, HD will be reserved for pubclub.
Ah, so we are still better off going to youtube for quality then :( Well its not like much quality requiring content is left now. Dont need much quality for stock images in ZP nor in 8bit graphics in the philosophical ones. Podcats are used as podcasts for me (dont watch the video) so i guess thats that.

Altrough unlikely it would be fun to see if you made that 480p better than youtubes 1080p though. Its not that hard, you would just have to use low compression codecs and youd already be there.

P.S. i always cringe whenever anyone uses HQ anymore. I know that back when it was set as a standard it was high quality, but right now it feels like bare minimum and to call it "High" is ridiculous.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Tested this on my Xperia Z3.

1. At first glace, it has absolutely no vision. Homepage is just the Latest/Popular/Comments View, which is uninteresting in general. Not eye catching.
2. Menu is also another list. Again, no vision. You need five categories, and clicking them drills down into things, like Videos and such. Also, the entire menu does not scroll to the bottom.
3. Forum Portal just looks like you eliminated certain columns from the forums. Checked in an individual forum, its true.
4. Breadcrumbs need to be reworked for Mobile, or in general. We don't need to know that "The Escapist Portal > The Escapist Forums > General Discussion." We know we're on The Escapist from the big "The Escapist" logo at the top of the page.
5. Pages form three lines which...looks weird.

That's all of the bugs I noticed and didn't like. :p

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
LucasGrimms said:
I still get too many "Error 404"s', when trying to respond in a thread. I dont know if its because this is a new account, but its really annoying that I have to copy my post, hit post, get error 404, go back and hit paste, do captcha and hit post, error 404, rinse and repeat about 6 times before I can post.

Samsung galaxy tab 2.
Very weird. This still an issue for you?

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
LucasGrimms said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
LucasGrimms said:
I still get too many "Error 404"s', when trying to respond in a thread. I dont know if its because this is a new account, but its really annoying that I have to copy my post, hit post, get error 404, go back and hit paste, do captcha and hit post, error 404, rinse and repeat about 6 times before I can post.

Samsung galaxy tab 2.
Very weird. This still an issue for you?
Unfortunately, yes :(
Can you send me a link yonder [/contact/subject/tech] with what threads 404 on you? Include screen shots if ya got 'em :)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Great idea, implementation needs some work. Text needs to reliably reflow for different screen sizes. As it is now, in order to fit the full width of a comment on my screen (Galaxy S5) so that I'm not constantly scrolling side to side, the page has to be shrunk down so far that the text is unreadably small. Oddly, this doesn't happen on every comment page, but it does happen on many of them.

Also, for the love of God, PLEASE wean your designers off their love for harsh white backgrounds. At least have an optional night mode with a dark background and light text, so it's (a) not burning into our eyes when we read in low lighting, and (b) not sucking the maximum possible battery power from our mobile devices. OLED screens use far more power to display white and light colours than they do to display dark colours. White and near-white backgrounds are the worst idea for a mobile site.

MatthewYoh

Dec 31, 2014
On my phone (Galaxy S5) the side menu doesn't scroll, so I just see halfway down to "Game On Hardcore." I don't know if there's anything underneath that, but that's as far as I can get.

And this is something pertinent to both the mobile and PC ends of the site: if you're gonna have a video player that doesn't work with AdBlock enabled, can you at least make sure to not have ads with sound? I'd honestly rather not watch the videos than have to deal with ads that have sound.