Annoying issue with Dragon Age: Inquisition

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Specifically, the captions. Is there any way to make these larger?

They not doing me much in the way of favours if the text is almost microscopically small. If I can barely read them, then the point is moot.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to have a whole bunch of small bugs and issues that are just adding up, making the game sound like total shit. Just today I bought the game again for PS4 today, only to run into my first crash with a video game on a console ever. Thirteen years of gaming and I've never had an issue with a console, installing a game. Thanks to this I know have to go and manually install the game in a certain order.

I'm no expert for your issue and chances are you've already done this, but have you tried messing with resolution? Other than that, I'd suggest googling your question. It helps more often than you think.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
The text is annoyingly small on my TV too, and it's a pretty decent-sized screen. Maybe try messing with your resolution settings or something. I wish I had more, but we're in the same boat here. DAI seems to have been a bad port to both PCs and consoles.

small

Aug 5, 2014
I picked it up just over a week ago for the pc and it took me with no exaggeration 5 days of net searching, fiddling, more net searching to finally get it to a point where i didnt loose sound, where i wouldnt get a frozen black screen, etc every 5-15 minutes.

it definitely has lots of niggling design choices that seem to exist for no reason other than to annoy people on top of the major issues. the PC controls honestly seem like they were designed by someone who always uses a controller thinking thats a good mouse and keyboard control scheme without actually testing it

its definitely an oversight that you cant increase font size

despite the bugs and issues i am enjoying it and have laughed out loud a few times at a few of the scenes with companions

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Damn. I had not noticed that until you pointed it out. Now I can't not notice it. It has become the 2nd most irritating bug after the Weakness bug.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Can't say I have that problem. I did have 3~4 crashes, lost a corrupted save game with 30+ hours in it, and noticed several other small glitches like not being able to complete quests, the conversation wheel glitching out if you talk to an npc, but accidentally press B (controller) during the second or two it takes for the wheel to appear, companions getting stuck, etc.

And as said before, this game's UI is just...so clearly meant for a controller. If you play a melee class, mouse and keyboard is clunky as all hell Yet if you play a ranged class you almost need to go with mouse because the auto-target system won't let you target the enemy you want to attack.

If this wasn't made by Bioware and thus by extension by EA, I would have been surprised. But this is what I've come to expect from EA, really. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with relatively little bugs and crashes.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to have a whole bunch of small bugs and issues that are just adding up, making the game sound like total shit

Compared to vanilla Origins and Mass Effect 2 on PS3 (mine crashed four times, in a row, while trying to open the same fucking door on the fucking Normandy), Inquisition was a model of stability: I mean, I got, what, 8 crashes in 130 hours of gameplay and only one corrupted saves...

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
DA:I is a mess and the further I play the messier it gets even with the latest patch which only made these bugs slightly less annoying. From NPCs flying though cut scenes to characters models becoming transparent when certain armor was equipped as well the ability to clip right into several NPC's in skyhold e.t.c.. There is a lot more wrong with DA:I on a technical level then I can list in this forum but it seems that EA knew of the public desire and released a subpar technical aspect of a game.

It all came down to the "simple marketing" fact, people were blind to their desire for this game and would barely notice the subpar programming and quality control. EA sadly forgot one issue and that was the dedicated gamer whom plowed though the game and found the bugs faster then they liked. I only hope this subpar gaming experience does not continue in triple A releases later on other wise EA might weaken the industry.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah I thought the text was quite small as well. Then again, the spoken dialogue wasn't saying anything interesting, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
wooty said:
Yeah I thought the text was quite small as well. Then again, the spoken dialogue wasn't saying anything interesting, so I guess it doesn't matter.
It kinda does if you can't hear very well.

That's the point of captions.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Reed Spacer said:
wooty said:
It kinda does if you can't hear very well.

That's the point of captions.
I kind of meant that it was boring me. Just could not get into what was going on with Inquisition at all, couldn't re-connect with the world at all.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Yeah, the text size in Inquisition sucks. I haven't been able to play past the first area because of it - half the time I'm pretty much wildly guessing what dialogue choices I'm picking, and forget being able to read the quest objective pop-up.

Best advice I can give is to increase the screen size. There's a setting for it under the options menu, at the very bottom. It doesn't fix the problem, but it helps a bit.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Sound drops out at random intervals, Game has a 90% chance of crashing on the main menu if you look at it funny, random crashes, save corruption, CTD without explanation on alt tab, utterly unusable tactical camera.

Many people have similar or even worse issues. It's go these issues are starting to come to light, if too little too late, but atleast people will finally stop banging on about how amazing Bioware is for a little while.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Unfortunately no, I had to upgrade my TV to a 32inch HD to see it and while that fixed most issues there is still some illegible bits like the little box text in the upper right hand corner that says things like, " Talk to so and so" I can't read it at all. I didn't actually upgrade my TV for the sole purpose of the game, if I hadn't already been saving to upgrade and was already there I would've just returned the game there was literately no point in playing I couldn't read the wheel, quest, or anything.