Annoying Programming Languages

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
All the ones I ever tried.
I have fortes, and programming is not one of them. The only thing I got out of that is that I can understand most of xkcd's jokes without having them explained to me by my informatics-champ friends.

linchowlewy

Nov 27, 2008
justnotcricket said:
linchowlewy said:
justnotcricket said:
I got frustrated with Python once, does that count? =D
Serious? I find python to be one of the simpler codes. Then again it's the only one i've tried learning...
Even simple things can be frustrating sometimes, young man =)
True, but simple things are less likely to be frustrating because they are easier.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
While we're at it: IDL.

IDL is supposed to be a language for data analysis, especially for physics. You know, calculating things and displaying information about them.

Oftentimes, in physics, you'll want to write a program that uses a loop to iterate over a data set, run a simulation, &c. So, guess what this does?
Code:
for i = 0, 100000 do begin
[i]... put some simulation code here ...[/i]
endfor
If you said "runs the stuff in the loop 100,000 times", you're wrong.

It runs forever.

You see, you implicitly declared i to be an integer, and in IDL, regular integers only go up to 32767. After that they just wrap around. You have to explicitly declare i as "i = 0L" in order to avoid this problem.

So, you've got a data processing language that:
1. Uses a tiny, useless size for the default integer type.
2. Doesn't auto-promote on overflow (gee, you'd think physicists would have better things to do than go looking for overflow/wrap-around bugs in their code).
3. Doesn't warn you about this stuff at all.

-- Alex

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
linchowlewy said:
justnotcricket said:
linchowlewy said:
justnotcricket said:
Serious? I find python to be one of the simpler codes. Then again it's the only one i've tried learning...
True, but simple things are less likely to be frustrating because they are easier.
Interesting point, Euthyphro, but are simple things always easier?

*Sincere apologies to gmer412 for starting a philosophical discussion in your worthy thread on programming languages!*

j.c.

Feb 26, 2009
PERL is the most bloated programming language I've ever used. PERL and pure C. You never realize how much you should be in love with strings until you have to use the literal versions...
's' 'p' 'e' 'l' 'l' 'i' 'n' 'g' like that is annoying.

linchowlewy

Nov 27, 2008
justnotcricket said:
linchowlewy said:
justnotcricket said:
linchowlewy said:
justnotcricket said:
Interesting point, Euthyphro, but are simple things always easier?

*Sincere apologies to gmer412 for starting a philosophical discussion in your worthy thread on programming languages!*
Indeed they are, as the simple maths question of 1+1 is easy enough.

oh and sorry to the OP will stop now.

lanceuppercut

Feb 1, 2009
I'm amazed no one has mentioned brainf*ck or INTERCAL yet, though those are purposely annoying, I mean INTERCAL's main purpose is to make code that is unreadable yet inexplicably work. As for brainf*ck I suggest everyone try it at least once, if only for the purpose of saying you've made a program in it, and that you can make any program with one line of code.

j.c.

Feb 26, 2009
brainf*ck is a nightmare. I refuse to even try that. haha.
Noooooo way.

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
Judging by the comments most people hate BASIC, im loving it since its my very first programming language and ive been told by my teacher its the easiest to start off on.

But since its my first its also my most annoying lol
i remember having to dig through a whole page of code to find a tiny syntax error.
Probably not specific to BASIC but still annoying nonetheless.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Alex_P said:
Perl is crap. Powerful crap that does certain kinds of text processing well, but still crap through and through. Don't get me wrong -- Perl used to have a purpose, just like Fortran, Ada, and Cobol. No more, though.
I both agree and disagree.

Perl is very much an annoying coding language. The days of useful Perl came and went faster than the brick-sized cellphone.

COBOL, on the other hand, still has a purpose. It still does large file and number processing faster than a decently sized server group. Plus it's hard to hack into a mainframe if you don't know WTF you are looking at and can't convert the information to something that is useful for you. It's the reason all your credit card transactions are still processed on a mainframe, and the government does all of its financial work there.

Mainframes are still being used in 90% of the banking world, since they are still better designed for it. Some day that will no longer be true, but right now, it is. I dream of a day - since I'm a SysAdmin - that my servers and LAN will be as secure or more secure than old AS400 machines.

aussiesniper

Mar 20, 2008
I'm pretty good with Visual basic (give me some slack - I'm in a high school computing course) and am trying to learn Perl in my spare time. I can also do some basic stuff with Lua (caused by Gmod 10 Swep creation) but not much else.

As for the most annoying language, I'm going to have to go with Liberty basic. It's about as functional at programming something useful as pseudocode, but it's so easy to use that my classmates build (very buggy) programs designed to insult people with it.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I like C. I think it's pretty easy.

VHDL, or any HDL for that matter, I find completely awkward and against anything I learned in C.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
So, I'm not much of a programmer, but I can honestly say that I hate FORTRAN 90.

Also:
Someone has too much time on their hands.
http://www2.lut.fi/~jukasuri/kling.html
Yes, it's a brainf*ck tutorial. In Klingon.

EDIT: This doesn't apply for all instances of FORTRAN, though. 2003 is decent. I had to fiddle with 90 because that's what my teacher knew.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
lanceuppercut said:
I'm amazed no one has mentioned brainf*ck or INTERCAL yet, though those are purposely annoying, I mean INTERCAL's main purpose is to make code that is unreadable yet inexplicably work. As for brainf*ck I suggest everyone try it at least once, if only for the purpose of saying you've made a program in it, and that you can make any program with one line of code.
Here's the thing: you're never going to hear "Implement this for me in brainfuck", but some programmers definitely will[i/] hear "Write this for me in Perl" or "Update this FORTRAN77 to handle multiple cores and a much larger simulation size" or "Make me a user interface in VB.net" or "Find this bug in our MUMPS database code" sometime in their lives.

-- Alex

Locker420

Jan 18, 2009
Visual Basic or C# are pretty easy because of the Visual Studio IDE. I loved Python when I did open source stuff because of the tabbed formatting instead of all those stupid row terminators.

Locker420

Jan 18, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Urgh, no. Whitespace semantics like those in Python are a Bad Thing. Proprietary platforms like those of Microsoft's languages are a Bad Thing.
Just because you say it's a bad thing with your nice capitol letters doesn't really convey any actual information. Here let me provide some, I make a really good living programming applications in .Net. They are easy to code, they do what they are suppose and with Microsoft they are easy to support, extend and interface with the Microsoft OS and the other Microsoft tools used by virtually the entire business community.

If the code is easy, the apps work and I get paid for it that's the epitomy of a Good Thing personally.

clicklick

Oct 29, 2008
I had issues with Python as the tabbed formatting gave me trouble than make life easier :p

But I think Prolog was dumb when i studied Artificial Intelligence. Oh and BASIC as well.

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
Java
For god sake why did they feel there was an adequate gap in the market for a case sensitive programming language?

Python is the anti-Java