Annoyingly misused words?

theseworlds

Oct 26, 2009
I read bits of the first page, then skipped ahead and read bits of the 8th, so this has probably been said already, but here's my 2 cents worth:

"Like" - I really cannot express how annoying this is. Listening to people have a conversation, and they continually say, "I was like", "she was like", "it was like", etc, etc... You can't just say what happened? "He was like..." Oh, so that's not what happened, but it's similar to, right? My word, it is extremely frustrating.

"Loose" - People use this instead of "lose". They are not remotely related. How these kids have not learnt how to spell properly astounds me. It's really not that hard.

"Has" - I'm not sure where this started, I'm guessing from that website "I can has cheeseburger" or whatever it's called. I don't really care, but the way that kids have taken to it is beyond belief. It's really not that hard to say, "can I have....?" It's not cute. It's irritating.

"lol" - I know innumerable amounts of people who, instead of laughing, just say lol. GRRRRAAAARGGGHHH- *head explodes*

Basic grammar as a whole seems to have been on the downslope for a while now. It's hard to understand. It's not that difficult, is it? -_-

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Nieroshai said:
David_G said:
I'm happy to see that I don't have many, if at all, mistakes in my speaking.

wolf92 said:
The Word Inconceivable
It does not mean what you think it means
What does it mean?
Doesn't it mean "Something you can't think of, conceive"?
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed his fun. Prepare to die.
lol it's a movie thing. Princess Bride. Character in the movie uses the word to sound intelligent.
Oh, I feel stupid now.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Somebody probably said this already, but for me, it's "literally."

"Oh my gosh, he jumped out at me, and I literally died!!!!!!11!!1"

No, you didn't. Calm down or shut up.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
WolfEdge said:
Whilst? I'm sorry but care to elaborate? what's wrong with whilst? being a proper English word and all...
I don't hate it because it's not a word, I hate it because of what it DOES to people.

A person only uses that word when they want to be smart. It's especially telling when the language surrounding it is nowhere near as sophisticated as 'whilst' itself is. I read that term in a post, and I immediately imagine a person looking down their nose while they talk.

See? I used 'while' instead of 'whilst' back there; a perfectly acceptable substitute, and I sound much less prick-ish for the effort.
Strange, I use whilst instead of while a lot of the time (though more in speech then text) because it's what I'm used to :/

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone who actually says 'lol' instead of laughing in real life needs throttling.

Also, the misuse of 'irony/ironic' and the abuse of the difference between 'discreet' and 'discrete'. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

Also people who write 'alot' as one word like that. IT IS TWO WORDS.

Also, people who use all caps to express their irritation - IT IS UNNECESSA- oops... ;-P

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
vid87 said:
How in the world did we come to the point where "loose" is interpreted as "lose?" Like, "I didn't want to *loose* my phone" and such.
Oh dear God this, a thousand times.

"LOL YOUR GOING 2 LOOSE THIS GAME!"

People who throw the word "troll" around do my tits in too.