Annoyingly misused words?

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I'm not bothered by much, but the misuse of 'Irony' bugs me.

You might say it's ironic!

Get it? I'm being Ironic by misusing Irony after saying how much it... oh never mind.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
[HEADING=2]ZE LANGUAGE MUST BE USED EXACTLY AS IT IZ MEANT TO BE USED UND NOTHING MORE![/HEADING]

I generally don't get upset about "misused" words. Mainly because I don't get upset about things is general, but also because I understand that words' meanings can change over time. The point of a language isn't to "use it correctly", it's to convey a meaning. Languages evolve or else we'd all be typing this in Old English (which would just be English anyway).

"Same difference" is one of those saying that I get upset about over though. Mainly because it makes no sense. Misusing a word like ironic or epic is one thing (I'm not a grammar/proper-language nazi, so long as I can understand the message you are trying to convey I generally won't get upset about how you do it), but when you aren't purposefully making no sense, then I'll get a little annoyed.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
"Tight". I hate when people start going around saying, "This video is tight man." So freaking annoying.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Awesome. I'm trying to not use it as much now because awesome isn't the next step of 'great.' It means you're in awe of something.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Eekaida said:
LIKE.

Like means 'similar to' or 'affinity with' (not a dictionary definition). IT DOES NOT GO IN THE MIDDLE SENTENCES AT RANDOM!!!!!!!
Yes it does. Like, stop making fun of my accent. I'm totally offended.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Del-Toro said:
Decimate. I actually call my teachers out on this. It doesn't mean the same as "destroy", "obliterate" or "annihilate", it means "to reduce by one tenth". If there are ten people in a group, and one is sick and unable to participate in the presentation, then that group has been decimated. If there is only one member in attendance, the group has been reduced to one tenth, not decimated. I know it sounds like a nifty synonym for "destroy" but it's not. In any way shape or form.
You're actually just being a douche.
<url=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/decimate>1.
to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
I don't usually jump on words unless someone is trying to brag in some way.

I also realize that I heavily misuse a lot of words
"Spewin'" (Reffering to an event being bad or unlucky; "How are you?" "Terible, got a cold and stubbed my toe..." "Spewin' :/")
"Eloo" (Instead of hello)
and I generally omit the last "G" in a word, these are rather common deviancies along with a lot of other words and habits.

What ticks me off most though is "Noob" and "Newb"!!
Noob: A derogatory term for someone who is bad at something or doesn't know how to do something BUT SHOULD, and generally refuses to learn.
Newb: Shorter version of newbie, meaning a person who is new to something.

The problem being that the two words are intertwined so often that their meanings are ACTUALLY changing to the same thing >.<

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Man, you know what? FUCK words.

There, I said it.

And that's what makes me a hypocrite.

I also really hate the word 'whilst'. A lot.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Eekaida said:
LIKE.

Like means 'similar to' or 'affinity with' (not a dictionary definition). IT DOES NOT GO IN THE MIDDLE SENTENCES AT RANDOM!!!!!!!

Also, Y'KNOW.

No, I don't know. If you have to ask me if I know, then I don't. I'm not psychic.
Ohhh yes, "Welllllll its kinda, like when you do such stuff, you know?" I got some people at university, in my english courses talking like that. They learned a perfectly good language, went to the wrong part of the earth for a year and violate my ears now for the next 8 semesters.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
WolfEdge said:
I also really hate the word 'whilst'. A lot.
Whilst? I'm sorry but care to elaborate? what's wrong with whilst? being a proper English word and all...

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I'm happy to see that I don't have many, if at all, mistakes in my speaking.

wolf92 said:
The Word Inconceivable
It does not mean what you think it means
What does it mean?
Doesn't it mean "Something you can't think of, conceive"?

Lt.Snuffles

Apr 12, 2010
"Fail"
I hate the use of that word, people now use as sentence filler, like in situations where no one has unsuccessfully attempted a task. For example someone described, a move in football (soccer) where someone crossed the ball for someone else to head in, as a fail because he didn't get his "shot" on target. I felt a strong urge to punch him.

"Fit"
Some of my friends(actually it's only two, and ones only saying it because he's stuck up the other ones arse), now not only describe members of the opposite sex as "fit", but describe objects, or situations that affect them positivly as "Fit".

"Sat"
You are not sat down, you are sitting down. This and all other mixing of past and present.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I hate how my religion uses certain words in ways that they don't mean now or try(and fail) to sound archaic and flowery.
Examples:
1. It's not called a font any more. In fact, look at the thing. It isn't even a FOUNTAIN. It is a basin.
2. Adultery does not mean sex, pastor. It means cheating on your spouse or being the one cheated with.
3. Communion? Really? With whom? No one is conversing, merely introspecting and eating crackers. Symbolism aside, you are not talking. (not disrespecting the sacrament, merely the word)
4. You're really going to call it a tree? It is a cross. A pair of crossed beams. Also, it is NOT a crucifix unless there is a body on it.
5. I helped teach a children's ministry for a year and this one simply annoyed me with its PAINFUL overuse. The Bible is sometimes metaphorically referred to as "the sword of God." Okay. But telling the kids to "get their swords out" at the behest of the program director made me cringe. There's metaphore, then there's cheesiness so thick I can smell it.
The rest of my biggest cringes are further abuses of metaphors.

Fun rant of the night: Fornication did not mean "extramarital sex" when the apostle Paul used the word. It meant "to take(use) a prostitute," and was a slang word derived from how prostitutes in Rome would congregate under arches, fornix meaning "arch." The Catholic Church decided at some point that all sex(except what the Church condoned-haha!) was fornication, and that married believers would need permission from the Church to breed without sin. This was repealed, but replaced with a definition that only in marriage was sex not fornication. This sudden burst of prudishness is exemplified in the decision that priests chould be celibate.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Whilst? I'm sorry but care to elaborate? what's wrong with whilst? being a proper English word and all...
I don't hate it because it's not a word, I hate it because of what it DOES to people.

A person only uses that word when they want to be smart. It's especially telling when the language surrounding it is nowhere near as sophisticated as 'whilst' itself is. I read that term in a post, and I immediately imagine a person looking down their nose while they talk.

See? I used 'while' instead of 'whilst' back there; a perfectly acceptable substitute, and I sound much less prick-ish for the effort.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
David_G said:
I'm happy to see that I don't have many, if at all, mistakes in my speaking.

wolf92 said:
The Word Inconceivable
It does not mean what you think it means
What does it mean?
Doesn't it mean "Something you can't think of, conceive"?
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed his fun. Prepare to die.
lol it's a movie thing. Princess Bride. Character in the movie uses the word to sound intelligent.