Anonymous hacks the KKK

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
In response to the Ferguson protests, the Ku Klux Klan announced that they would take violent action against the 'terrorists masquerading as peaceful protesters' (talk about hypocrisy). This angered Anonymous, which had already come out in support of these protesters. Last Sunday night, Anonymous took over the KKK's main Twitter account and sabotaged their website, and they plan to reveal a large number of KKK supporters later tonight.

Now, I haven't always supported Anonymous. They're morally grey at best, and they have made some mistakes in the past. But this incident highlights the purpose of Anonymous. They are meant to be a force against ultimate evil, an anarchic solution to some great injustice. Without such an adversary, they often fall into the 'rebel without a cause' category. But now that they oppose one of the most morally bankrupt organizations in the modern world, we see the good that they can do.

Remember, remember...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Anonymous is just an angry (or at least annoyed) mob on the net. Sure, there are some people you wouldn't mind see face an angry mob, but for the most part it's not something you want running around.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"Take violent action"...what a careless thing to say. As if what we need is more people waving guns around and re-escalating the violence. No, KKK. Go home and stop giving angry people opportunities to shoot at you.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
This is a real case of having to choose between the lesser of two evils. The KKK is despicable and all, but some of those ''peaceful protestors'' in Ferguson were anything but, and one wonders how an organisation named Anonymous would react to being unmasked themselves.

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
I wouldn't imagine KKK website was coded very well, so it likely wasn't much of an endeavor.

I think anonymous is doing the right things by feeding the flames so that we can all eat some popcorn and have a good show.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Barbas said:
"Take violent action"...what a careless thing to say. As if what we need is more people waving guns around and re-escalating the violence. No, KKK. Go home and stop giving angry people opportunities to shoot at you.
What we need, and what the KKK need are two very different things. People want the protestors to be rioters, get the KKK involved and, well...

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The KKK has a website?

Well, that's my revelation for today.

When I went onto it, it blared incredibly loud rock music that literally crashed my speakers, forcing me to listen to a horrendous swill of bullshit, racism, and pain.

Yeah, that would not be a very hard website to hack. I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Barbas said:
What we need, and what the KKK need are two very different things. People want the protestors to be rioters, get the KKK involved and, well...
...But do the KKK particularly want to get shot? I don't imagine them outnumbering anybody.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Can't say i can really applaud this. While sometimes, such as this time, Anonymous does go after deserving targets, i find them and their entire operation very unnerving.
The idea of a tyrannical totalitarian government is very unnerving to me, but the idea of self appointed moral crusaders who will attack anyone who offends them isn't much of an alternative.
The way that they attack (rather dubious) religious institutions, corporations and political targets under the banner of justice really does make me question why people view them as some kind of heroes rather than the militant political faction they are.

This really is a case of supporting the lesser of two evils, but i feel they have gained enough support by picking off the low hanging fruits no one likes in order to drown out the more questionable aspects of their operation.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
This is great. Anon has always said that they don't have to like what you say, but they will fight for your right to say it. They've left the KKK alone this long because of it, but now that the KKK is trying to infringe on others' free speech (or right to protest), they are taking action.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well, not a fan of the KKK but not a fan of Anonymous either. And now that the Governor of Missouri has sent out the National Guard to Ferguson this shits going to hell.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Hacking a website isnt really a big deal(Oh noes, people will only see your hacking stuff for a few days when they google us!) but I wonder how they got names of KKK members.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
Hacking a website isnt really a big deal(Oh noes, people will only see your hacking stuff for a few days when they google us!) but I wonder how they got names of KKK members.
I've not been to their site but if they have any kind of forum or message board I imagine they registered fro an account. If they were stupid enough to put their real names in there...pretty much easy pickings.

I haven't even heard anything about Ferguson since Amnesty International knuckle rapped the local authorities for alleged civil liberties violations (I'm not debating that matter right now either way, I'm using that word as nothing has gone through a court to my knowledge).

It's been a few months since this shit blew up so lemme see what's been happening lately *checks google*

Ah, Grand Jury is deciding whether to lay charges against the officer. That's actually relevant. I find that surprising as the KKK these days is usually full of sound and fury and too late to the party to actually have an expectation of having to commit to something. Of course they still probably won't put their money where their mouths are. The fuckers just need to squeak like the rats they are every now and again because we would otherwise forget they exist.

Anonymous is kind of like a very unpredictable vigilante. Sometimes they are nice to have around but most of the time you just pissed off to have to clean up the mess they leave behind. Enough of their truly talented hackers have been exposed and or charged with shit that they pretty near have been neutered too. both of these groups are piggy backing on Ferguson for the same reason. That town has enough problems, they need help in sorting them out, not a bunch of torch bearing mask wearing idiots turning their homes into even more of a fucking battlefield.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Barbas said:
thaluikhain said:
Barbas said:
...But do the KKK particularly want to get shot? I don't imagine them outnumbering anybody.
Whenever the KKK comes to protest anywhere there is always a huge amount of cops between them and the counter protesters. They know this and being chickens***s exploit it to the hilt.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm no fan of Anonymous... but I hate the KKK even worse, so... I'd side with the guys making fun of them any day. The lesser of two evils, I assume.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
You can't say what Anonymous is "supposed to be" because that is antithetical to what it is. It's just a mob that gathers and goes after whatever they feel like at the moment. It could be the KKK. It could be a some random person they harass into suicide. Given that Anonymous is generally comprised of members from Reddit, 4chan and the recently-formed 8chan, you'd think they'd be more sensitive towards depriving others of their personal platforms. Freedom of Speech and all.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Wait, last I heard the KKK had fractured into a ton of largely non related chapters some time ago, and were losing white nationalist/supremacist followers to other groups like the Aryan Nation. Did some big Klan merger taking place when I wasn't looking (given, I don't often look at the Klan, so it wouldn't be a surprise).

As to the topic; ...yay? I mean, I'm pretty sure the federal authorities were already watching for this sort of thing from the word go, and probably already had cybercrime teams on it when the/one of the Klan/s made the violent action statement. So I'm not terribly impressed that some bored people fucked with their twitter a bit.