Anonymous Threatens Internet With "Operation Blackout"

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
DTH1337 said:
You see, this is what I'm talking about. Anonymous have degraded themselves so much because of stupid things like this. They don't care about the people anymore, and quite frankly, I'm not so sure they ever have cared.
To make people understand what's at stake, you sometimes have to first show them what'll happen if they won't act.

Anonymous will globally shut the internet down, and people will be curious. They'll try to find out what happened, why it happened, the event might even make it to the news. It's a drastic measure to catch attention: not an attempt at killing freedom of speech, but a reminder that we have it.

Posh_Bear

Jan 18, 2012
I didn't notice any lack of internets on the 31st. Or, you know, any other day or time, other than when I accidentally spilled tea on my modem. Because I'm retarded.

I'm just shelving this with the Facebook takedown and the 9gag takedown, and a few others. You can't dispute that Anonymous is no longer legion when they can't even organize a DDOS, let alone be taken seriously. I mean, maybe there are some of them 'out there' that still are capable, but would they really want to be associated with Anon anymore? It's a bit of a laugh now.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Naqel said:
DTH1337 said:
You see, this is what I'm talking about. Anonymous have degraded themselves so much because of stupid things like this. They don't care about the people anymore, and quite frankly, I'm not so sure they ever have cared.
To make people understand what's at stake, you sometimes have to first show them what'll happen if they won't act.

Anonymous will globally shut the internet down, and people will be curious. They'll try to find out what happened, why it happened, the event might even make it to the news. It's a drastic measure to catch attention: not an attempt at killing freedom of speech, but a reminder that we have it.
You are about 5 days to late to claim to know what they are going to do and why they are going to do it. Oh and they were going to be protesting SOPA, which was crushed by completely legal non-destructive methods, so they would be behind in their protests. Taking down the internet would have just turn more people towards supporting bills like SOPA. You are right about one thing, it would make people understand what's at stake, that these hackers have free reign to do what they want when they want to do it, and they don't answer to anything or anyone, and that will scare people into giving up their freedoms to prevent it.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
zehydra said:
0p3rati0n said:
zehydra said:
0p3rati0n said:
Anonymous has promised to blow up the entire internet at the end of the month.
Aaaaaaand that's where I stopped reading. Whatever level of ridiculousness goes higher than ludicrous, that's what this is.
If you had read a bit further, this is actually doable.

They're not going to blow up the internet, just attack root DNS servers.

Meaning, to get here, you'd have to type in the escapist's IP address, not just the www.escapistmagazine.com URL
My opinion still stands.
lol, well it didn't happen anyway.
exactly. Thus the reason for the video.