Another person shot dead this time at a rally and counter protest clash in Denver

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
It's amazing that people like Cheong, Ngo and Watson get to lecture about journalism standards & ethics and the left-wing media and amass huge social media followings, all the while pulling this type of shit and never once being held accountable for it.

Ethics in journalism for thee, but not for me.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It's amazing that people like Cheong, Ngo and Watson get to lecture about journalism standards & ethics and the left-wing media and amass huge social media followings, all the while pulling this type of shit and never once being held accountable for it.

His response is that "I shared what was in the Denver Post report, which was written by a journalist on the ground"

Is that unethical?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So is it two of these idiot right-wingers now who have been shot while pepper spraying someone, or am I forgetting any?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
His response is that "I shared what was in the Denver Post report, which was written by a journalist on the ground"

Is that unethical?
1) You definitely didn't read the Denver Post report, because if you did, you would not have asked the question of whether what he did was unethical.

2) How many times does Cheong have to mistakenly identify the alleged perpetrator of a high-profile crime, and then duck for cover with weak excuses, before people stop defending him and acknowledge that his agenda isn't one of upholding journalism ethics?

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1) You definitely didn't read the Denver Post report, because if you did, you would not have asked the question of whether what he did was unethical.
How's that?
You're aware that the Denver Post report was edited to include more details as to the identity of the shooter, right?
And you're aware that Ngo made his tweet based off the first version of the article, right?

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
yesh those damn right wing militia types assaulting people by falling onto knives

Never said there wasn't violence, just pointed out that the violence directed as journalists, causing some of them to hire private security, who were then also attacked, tends to be one sided.

You really want to tit-for-tat this?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Houseman said:
How's that?
You're aware that the Denver Post report was edited to include more details as to the identity of the shooter, right?
And you're aware that Ngo made his tweet based off the first version of the article, right?
Did the original version say the shooter was a left wing protestor or did Ngo assume that part?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ethics in journalism for thee, but not for me.
Yes. It always struck me as interesting that some people got so het up about standards of journalism in hobbies, but happily lapped up political journalism with worse standards.

Did the original version say the shooter was a left wing protestor or did Ngo assume that part?
Doesn't matter. Ngo is the basest of hacks and would still be the basest of hacks in either case.

There is a rationale for assuming the killer was a leftist protestor because he shot a right wing protestor.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ya know, I was reading a bit about Weimar Germany recently, and I've seen some unsettling similarities.
Yes. The USA is currently headed in a worrying direction, and Europe is maybe not far behind. Loads of people think "it couldn't happen here", right up until it's too late to stop it.

I'm not sure what the resolution is. I think the massive expansion in media has mostly just allowed everyone to have their own echo chamber, and the extremes are growing at the expense of the centre on a rocket fuel of manufactured outrage and inflexibility. The politicians have demonstrated that they are more interested in following the public to keep their seats than leading them, and even if they did try to hold everything together, they have no means to corral opinion towards the centre anyway with free speech and all, backed up by all those tech bros, partisan media, ideological lobbying and so on.

I do wonder whether in 100 years, society will be looking back at a much diminished transatlantic culture and deciding China had the right idea.

Reactions: CM156 and Tireseas