Another Round

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Another Round

The best movies to view through the bottom of a bottle.

Read Full Article

Dec 14, 2009
I've never really understood the whole Saint Patrick's day thing in America. I can understand it if you're Irish, but Irish-American? If you're great-great-great grandfather jumped off a boat 150 years ago that makes you American of Irish descent, The same way that I'm British of, ultimately, African descent, considering that humans originated there.

Edit: This is not a hate speech by the way, if anyone would care to educate me on the matter then I would be more than welcome.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Daystar Clarion said:
Edit: This is not a hate speech by the way, if anyone would care to educate me on the matter then I would be more than welcome.
A long time ago, someone realized it was a pretty good excuse to get drunk and blame it on someone's Irish heritage. Later, people realized they liked having an official day to get drunk on, so it stuck.

See also, Thanksgiving and excessively large Dinners. Halloween and candy (and later, Halloween and slutty costumes). Christmas and presents, Valentines Day and sex, 4th of July and explosives...

All the good holidays specialize in something specific that people want more of, outside of just celebrating whatever the historical event is.

Dec 14, 2009
Kross said:
Daystar Clarion said:
A long time ago, someone realized it was a pretty good excuse to get drunk and blame it on someone's Irish heritage. Later, people realized they liked having an official day to get drunk on, so it stuck.

See also, Thanksgiving and excessively large Dinners. Halloween and candy (and later, Halloween and slutty costumes). Christmas and presents, Valentines Day and sex, 4th of July and explosives...

All the good holidays specialize in something specific that people want more of, outside of just celebrating whatever the historical event is.
So the real reason is that people just want an excuse to get rat arsed. Whether it be an Irish saint or god's son. I suppose that makes sense...

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
The Blues Brothers, Beerfest, and Serenity.

If you really want to go insane rent the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie and play this drinking game.

A shot counts as a mouthful of liquid if you don't use shot glasses.

Take a shot everytime you see roses and/or flying rose petals. Also take a shot everytime you see strange scenery and architecture.

Take two shots everytime you see something gay or when you see Utena transform into a girl.

Chug when Utena changes into a car.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I like St. Pat's day because it's a day when the Irish come together and laugh at all the Plastic Paddies and suck tourists dry on the streets of Dublin. I personally like to go out walking somewhere quiet where the music composer would insist on putting pipes and fiddle music.

My all time Paddy's day dream is to evade the police in a parade using only a green hat and my natural grittyness.

Good choice of drinking movies I must say, Though you owe us a list of The best Irish produced films MovieBob! Otherwise me and the 30 or so people who represent the Irish film industry will come after your knees!

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
an interesting selection. But personally, I would have to bump one of them for "Withnail and I" where Richard E Grant and Paul McGann spend their time trying to get drunk.

Withnail: [having just drunk a bottle of lighter fluid] Got any more?
Marwood: No. I have nothing.
Withnail: Liar. What's in your toolbox.
Marwood: Nothing.
Withnail: Liar. You've got antifreeze.
Marwood: You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
I second the motion to add Withnail and I to the list, I mean just consider the Withnail and I drinking game!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
If you really want to get rat arsed along with a movie, watch Withnail and I and play the infamous drinking game attached to it. To play the game, simply drink whenever Withnail drinks. Some diehards (who occasionally end up dead) will make a point of drinking exactly what Withnail drinks. Amateurs can pick the safer route and just drink what "I" drinks.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Lono Shrugged said:
Good choice of drinking movies I must say, Though you owe us a list of The best Irish produced films MovieBob! Otherwise me and the 30 or so people who represent the Irish film industry will come after your knees!
That would have made some sense. Though they don't do much drinking in in Bruges.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Kross said:
Daystar Clarion said:

So the real reason is that people just want an excuse to get rat arsed. Whether it be an Irish saint or god's son. I suppose that makes sense...
Don't forget that people think you're normal when you do it. You can set off fireworks any time you wish, but people won't think you're strange when you do it on the 4th. It's the same with drinking and St. Patrick.

Dec 14, 2009
randommaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Kross said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Don't forget that people think you're normal when you do it. You can set off fireworks any time you wish, but people won't think you're strange when you do it on the 4th. It's the same with drinking and St. Patrick.
It's really intersting from a sociological perspective when you put it that way...

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
randommaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Kross said:
Daystar Clarion said:

It's really intersting from a sociological perspective when you put it that way...
It's also interesting from a business perspective. You can make just about any kind of food green on St. Patrick's Day and people will eat it without comment when they would normally not eat, or even complain. Try finding another time when you can serve green mashed potatoes.

On a completely unrelated note, cucumber-flavored beer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viPZZYYTSIY&feature=PlayList&p=F062D59FF06F38CE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17]

JayDig

Jun 28, 2008
I think I watched Drunken Master 2 while gettin loaded. It was malt liquor night a few years back. Is that the one where he fights a hundred guys with hatchets and beats their asses with a peeled bamboo? Yah good pick.

Also he chugs gasoline to beat the villain.. lol

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Rainboq said:
Man, I remember watching Strange Brew a while back, hilarious movie
I saw it a few years ago. Bought it on tape at a pawn shop I work at for 50 Cents. Possibly the greatest thing I have ever laid eyes on. Too funny for words.

Feb 13, 2008
Obligatory Irish Joke before Furburt gets here

Y'all right in the back there?

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I've never really understood the whole Saint Patrick's day thing in America.
Lots of reasons.

1. Each subsequent generation of immigration to the US was met with disdain, thus forcing said immigrants to form communities of people from the same country of origin. So you get a lot of people of the same ancestry in one place, community, or family. Thus people of Irish ancestry lived close together, intermarried, etc. Add to the fact that Irish almost always equates to Catholic, and until recently marrying outside of your religion (especially Catholicism) was a big taboo. So you'd be surprised how 'Irish' many Americans actually are.

2. We identify more with the culture of our European ancestors because we have very little in the way of an 'American' culture. This is not a problem for Europe, where family and cultural history go back thousands of years. Yes, there are things that make us uniquely American, but none of us have had the same cultural experience (or a cultural experience as similar as people in, say, Ireland would have). Ask 10 Americans what "American Culture" means and you'll get 15 different answers, and those answers will usually be divided based at least somewhat on ancestry.

3. How many generations until we're no longer allowed to claim European descent? 2? 5? 1? As soon as one of our ancestors married a 'local' American (who was probably of a different European descent), are we no longer allowed to celebrate our family's cultural history?

Ultimately it's a lot more complicated than anything I can (or should) explain on The Escapist, but there's a lot going on with Americans and their ancestry.

Note that this really has little to do with St. Patrick's Day in it's current form. It's less a celebration of Irish ancestry and culture and more an excuse to get drunk in public (as has been said).

Dec 14, 2009
AcacianLeaves said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I've never really understood the whole Saint Patrick's day thing in America.
Lots of reasons.

1. Each subsequent generation of immigration to the US was met with disdain, thus forcing said immigrants to form communities of people from the same country of origin. So you get a lot of people of the same ancestry in one place, community, or family. Thus people of Irish ancestry lived close together, intermarried, etc. Add to the fact that Irish almost always equates to Catholic, and until recently marrying outside of your religion (especially Catholicism) was a big taboo. So you'd be surprised how 'Irish' many Americans actually are.

2. We identify more with the culture of our European ancestors because we have very little in the way of an 'American' culture. This is not a problem for Europe, where family and cultural history go back thousands of years. Yes, there are things that make us uniquely American, but none of us have had the same cultural experience (or a cultural experience as similar as people in, say, Ireland would have). Ask 10 Americans what "American Culture" means and you'll get 15 different answers, and those answers will usually be divided based at least somewhat on ancestry.

3. How many generations until we're no longer allowed to claim European descent? 2? 5? 1? As soon as one of our ancestors married a 'local' American (who was probably of a different European descent), are we no longer allowed to celebrate our family's cultural history?

Ultimately it's a lot more complicated than anything I can (or should) explain on The Escapist, but there's a lot going on with Americans and their ancestry.

Note that this really has little to do with St. Patrick's Day in it's current form. It's less a celebration of Irish ancestry and culture and more an excuse to get drunk in public (as has been said).
Thanks for explaining that to me, I feel adequately enlightened now. To the lesser-ignorance cave! dudududududududunaaaa!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
While you are correct about not needing to see Drunken Master to get Drunken Master II, they should see it, as it's freaking awesome.

They should also see Snake in Eagle's Shadow, but that's a completely different point.