Another Round

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Oh I'm glad I'm out of school for this saint Patrick's day. Nothing quite like hearing people go on about how they are Irish and should be drinking, and how because of their Irish relatives have an immunity to hangovers.

Yes I live in Boston and yes I do root for the Yankees, I however hate baseball.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Damn! I just passed over recording The Thin Man on TCM. I can probably find it elsewhere on the 'Net but that was an opportunity to watch it on the tube. Oh well.
MovieBob said:
Today, Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas are well-known TV and movie stars
Not anymore. I used to be a huge fan of SCTV and have seen many of their movies (even though I don't particularly like Strange Brew). But the last notable thing either of them has done was playing a pair of talking moose. And Brother Bear was released quite a while ago. Thomas has done a lot of low-budget films since then, sure, but how many have seen any of them? And Moranis has done... well... has he done anything since the Brother Bear sequel? Nothing springs to my mind. My generation is forgetting these guys about as quickly as other 80's comedians like Chase and Pryor which is a shame but it doesn't make it any less true.
Furburt said:
It would be nice to make that stereotype go away.
Not gonna happen. Not anytime soon anyway. America loves that stereotype and since many of them claim they have a little bit of Irish in them they think that gives them the right to say it (I apologize if this sounds racist against Americans but other than Kathy, every American I know has made this claim at least once). It's pretty entrenched in the movies as well, specifically in titles focusing on South Boston like The Boondock Saints and The Departed. To be fair, Canada is just as guilty. I for one have made fun of my Irish-Canadian friend because he is the very embodiment of said stereotype, down to the hyper-aggressiveness and flaming red hair.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Well then, Bob, I can't say anything for the #2 and #4, but I love me some Strange Brew, which I thought was the funniest movie I'd ever seen as a child. Beerfest is still a highly entertaining film. But goddamn if you didn't cut straight to my heart with pre-Rush Hour Jackie Chan. You know, I'm a Police Story, Dragons Forever kinda guy, but Legend of the Drunken Master was incredible. I must now go and conceal my excitement that Jackie Chan will playing the new master in the Karate Kid remake.

Feb 13, 2008
Furburt said:
It might seem harmless, but in reality it's the same as insinuating black people eat watermelon and chicken all the time and are all criminals.
TBF, we don't eat cucumber sandwiches, talk in Estuary speak and carry umbrellas either.

And I'm sure Americans aren't body-obsessed, gun-toting ... well, you know the stereotype yourself :)

At least people celebrate St. Patricks/Independence Day; St. George's day gets a minimal "woot" if that.

And when English people celebrate Independence Day...you have to wonder what's going through their heads.

Meh, we're all dependent on our stereotype for trade/culture, and crippled by it for understanding.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
(briefly busting out grammar-police) "There's a running subplot about ancient family conflicts over a stolen recipe for a legendary beer recipe..."

Really, Bob? I think you need to fire your editor-- that is such an awkward and inept construction...

Anyway, doffing that cap, excellent article, but I feel compelled to point something out: the reason the Thin Man had so much drinking in it is because it was made/released the year after Prohibition was repealed, and thus it was still widely considered to be really cool to overindulge. (Or should I say 'hip'? What superlatives did they use in the '20s and '30s, anyway?)

Man, if I had a time machine, I would totally go back to the Roaring '20s, visit a Speakeasy, and hook up with a flapper!

EDIT: oh, and in regards to the psychological/sociological aspects in regards to ancestry, while what AcacianLeaves said is a good start, but to dig a little deeper, you may want to investigate Psychology and Motivational Theory, specifically 'Need for Affiliation'. Not really in my wheelhouse because my studies were on Cognitive and Abnormal psych, but I figured I could at least throw those out there for those of you who are interested in why people invest so much importance into ancestry.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Good list, but really, Sideways? That movie gets far too much praise. The movie does have its moments where its genuinely funny, but that drawn out middle act where both guys are just being unlikeable schmucks screwing things up with the gals they met is just mind numbingly bad. Me and the gal I was with at the time were just about to give up on the flick and take it out right when it got funny again. I do have to admit the whole deal with getting the wallet back was funny, but god damn that mid act was shit.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Furburt said:
I'm not angry at Moviebob or anything, it's just the whole idea of the day that gets me. It should be a celebration of Irish culture, and believe it or not guys, Irish culture isn't focused on drinking. What I like to do is read some Kavanagh, and maybe watch Ryans Daughter or something like that, but then people look at me funny for not drinking on St. Paddys day!
/rant
Well paddy's day to me is "sleep in and catch up on work day". Not really as entertaining to tell people. The problem is that while obviously the stereotype of Irish drinking more than other people is completely untrue, as you said there's a horrendous amount of idiots who make asses of themselves, and the stereotype continues to propogate. Yay.

Also, slightly off topic, when Irish people emmigrate, or especially second generation immigrants, they often seem to play up the whole Irish caricature with the smooth 'brogue' and flippancy. (see: colin farrell). I wonder if it's people needing some identity to cling to, and not knowing anything real about Irish culture, default to a plastic paddy themselves? Sorry, I'm ranting, but Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds pretty fake to me, which is bananas.

We also have Liam neeson though, by God that man is great...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Kross said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Edit: This is not a hate speech by the way, if anyone would care to educate me on the matter then I would be more than welcome.
A long time ago, someone realized it was a pretty good excuse to get drunk and blame it on someone's Irish heritage. Later, people realized they liked having an official day to get drunk on, so it stuck.

See also, Thanksgiving and excessively large Dinners. Halloween and candy (and later, Halloween and slutty costumes). Christmas and presents, Valentines Day and sex, 4th of July and explosives...

All the good holidays specialize in something specific that people want more of, outside of just celebrating whatever the historical event is.
So the real reason is that people just want an excuse to get rat arsed. Whether it be an Irish saint or god's son. I suppose that makes sense...
And there ain't (much) wrong with that, is there?

America! ARROGANCE IS OUR WAY OF LIFE!

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Furburt said:
Outright Villainy said:
Sorry, I'm ranting, but Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds pretty fake to me, which is bananas.

We also have Liam neeson though, by God that man is great...
Actually, Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds fake because he's a suburban middle class guy from Castleknock trying to sound like a tough inner city Dublin bloke and failing miserably.
Doesn't surprise me, I fucking hate how he plays up this whole faux Irishness, and Americans love it! More than the accent, he thinks he's some great playboy or something, and I just hate how he's probably one of the most famouse Irish people in America. *sigh*
Oh well, haven't heard about him in a while so I don't get my blood angered up, yay!

Feb 13, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

I was thinking on this earlier.

The British have their snootiness, the Americans their arrogance, the French their aloofness, and I'm sure I could find a similar synonym for the Canadians and the Aussies...perhaps it's just we all express our patriotism in a similar way?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I was thinking on this earlier.

The British have their snootiness, the Americans their arrogance, the French their aloofness, and I'm sure I could find a similar synonym for the Canadians and the Aussies...perhaps it's just we all express our patriotism in a similar way?
Canadians have Colin Mochrie. That's all they need.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Holy crap, I haven't thought of Drunken Master in a long time. To anyone out there, GET THAT MOVIE.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
If you're great-great-great grandfather jumped off a boat 150 years ago that makes you American of Irish descent, The same way that I'm British of, ultimately, African descent, considering that humans originated there.
In America, I have a picture of an ancestor's grave from 1752 (tombstone not original). My brother and I were given his middle and first names, respectively, as our first names. Several of my cousins share his last name. We discovered our ancestor and his tombstone this year while building our family history. 150 years? Give it a thousand and check again lol! And what are we supposed to do? Pass the peace-pipe lol?

Edit: This is not a hate speech by the way, if anyone would care to educate me on the matter then I would be more than welcome.
Racist... =)

Interesting tidbit: St. Patrick probably grew up in Northumbria. He was captured by slavers and first came to Ireland in captivity. He also performed mission work in Gaul.

You hosers.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Interesting choices, some of which I've never heard of, and I've yet to see a single one. I must live under a rock or something. :p

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
TOGSolid said:
Good list, but really, Sideways? That movie gets far too much praise. The movie does have its moments where its genuinely funny, but that drawn out middle act where both guys are just being unlikeable schmucks screwing things up with the gals they met is just mind numbingly bad. Me and the gal I was with at the time were just about to give up on the flick and take it out right when it got funny again. I do have to admit the whole deal with getting the wallet back was funny, but god damn that mid act was shit.
I realize I'm a bit late here, but I felt the need to agree with this after seeing the article with Sideways in the list. Possibly the most overrated movie I've ever seen in my entire life. I did sit through it to the end, but I really wish I hadn't. I agree that it occasionally has its moments, but most of it just irritated me, because I didn't like any of the characters or care what happened to them. They weren't even unlikable in an interesting way.