Another thread about sexism in video games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I mean, just an example of people not able to let soemthing go from fucking 1994. Art made in a different era can't be held up to the same standards because norms change.
First in 1986, actually.

And fine, sure, but the norms are iffy when we have a female space marine being strip teased, and male space marines conciously not. Doom came out in 1993 for instance, but we never saw Doomguy in a thong.

2) No they didn't have to fight she was planned female from the inception and there wasn't any issue.

Are you thinking of Ghost of Tsushima?

Sekiro was made by from soft, a Jp dev, Activision just published the thing.
Ghosts of Sekiro, one of them had the wokeists up in arms based on who was making it.

Also the biggest controversy regarding that game was that people were praising it over last of us 2 and not who made it.
Dunno if that was bigger, but Last of Us 2 was subjected to an even stupider controversy, just from those on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seems more like hesitancy from the Japanese division president who when he saw the numbers was fine about it. A sort of hang over from how the industry was with the perception female lead games didn't sell.
Same difference. Still worried because they or he are afraid what happened that the main character is female. That the male gamers may not react positively or be disinterested Afraid they're not going to make all the money in the world or not make Call of Duty money.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Also the biggest controversy regarding that game was that people were praising it over last of us 2 and not who made it.
That was only a controversy because outrage youtubers needed an "us-vs-them" narrative. Same reason weirdos kept trying to hype up Alita: Battle Angel vs Captain Marvel and Sonic the Hedgehog vs Birds of Prey.

Just rampant tribalistic clownery.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That was only a controversy because outrage youtubers needed an "us-vs-them" narrative. Same reason weirdos kept trying to hype up Alita: Battle Angel vs Captain Marvel and Sonic the Hedgehog vs Birds of Prey.

Yo, but for real....Alita was a WAY better movie than Captain Marvel. Not for any woke reasons or antyhing like that, Marvel was just stupid.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yo, but for real....Alita was a WAY better movie than Captain Marvel. Not for any woke reasons or antyhing like that, Marvel was just stupid.
It's okay, Crit, it's okay...we're all allowed to have wrong opinions.

But seriously, while the rivalry between the films was stuipid, Alita was still a mess. At the very worst, Captain Marvel was competent.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

But seriously, while the rivalry between the films was stuipid, Alita was still a mess. At the very worst, Captain Marvel was competent.
GAH! You wound me! I loved Alita. Fuck I'm so sad.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Nah that happens with quite a few films and is done in the media most of the time.

The latest was Eternals & Shang Chi vs Spiderman No Way Home (No really as dumb as it sounds ones outlet was trying to say it proved Spiderman No Way Home was a failure compared to those two.

We also had it with The Last Jedi vs Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

So also:

Selma vs American Sniper

Sonic the Hedgehog
vs Birds of Prey was because some weirdos on twitter were pushing bullshit about the sonic film being toxic and harmful. Shit like is shown here

Literally some weirdo Birds of Prey stans / weirdo woke types were literally trying to slam the Sonic film and make up BS and promote the Birds of Prey film as a better alternative

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Is that a dick joke? What....but why?
You've argued on numerous occasions that one of your boxes that had to be ticked is 'cant be to muscular'. Hence, you needing a ruler to make sure Aloy's muscles werent too big

If you want a joke - someone complaining about characters being made to be in boxes... when they want characters to be in boxes

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

I'll say that Captain Marvel was a least trying to do something new with the Marvel formula.

But I'd count them both as medicore. At least Marvel had the only charismatic character between the two movies

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Nah that happens with quite a few films and is done in the media most of the time.

The latest was Eternals & Shang Chi vs Spiderman No Way Home (No really as dumb as it sounds ones outlet was trying to say it proved Spiderman No Way Home was a failure compared to those two.

We also had it with The Last Jedi vs Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

So also:

Selma vs American Sniper

Sonic the Hedgehog
vs Birds of Prey was because some weirdos on twitter were pushing bullshit about the sonic film being toxic and harmful. Shit like is shown here

Literally some weirdo Birds of Prey stans / weirdo woke types were literally trying to slam the Sonic film and make up BS and promote the Birds of Prey film as a better alternative
These two movies were also pretty medicore. And it made Harley bland and boring... after being the best thing in Suicide Squad

Now, this is for all fights between movies... everyone please stop giving airtime to trivial fights like this. (Everyone here is just the world in general, not you DH.)

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...alright Longclaw, what have you been up to? 0_0

I'll say that Captain Marvel was a least trying to do something new with the Marvel formula.

But I'd count them both as medicore. At least Marvel had the only charismatic character between the two movies
Sorry, what did Captain Marvel do particuarly differently?

Also, technically, I'd say Alita has more charisma, but the difference is that Alita is just a mess - it doesn't have any real structure to it, and feels like multiple short stories wedged together into a single film. Captain Marvel has a formula, but at least pulls it off adequately.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Sorry, what did Captain Marvel do particuarly differently?
Having a character so overpowered it made it so there was barely any threat and she just chumped the main villain of her film in seconds rather than there being any kind of climactic battle.

These two movies were also pretty medicore. And it made Harley bland and boring... after being the best thing in Suicide Squad

Now, this is for all fights between movies... everyone please stop giving airtime to trivial fights like this. (Everyone here is just the world in general, not you DH.)
I didn't bother with either, I might one day bother with the Sonic movie out of curiosity but hearing Birds of Prey was bad and from what I've seen it looked bad (you know you fucked up when the CW version of character who was a side character in a CW show actually is doing a better job than the blockbuster movie looks to be.

As for fights between films. This isn't likely going to end in part because of some insane Hollywood studio accounting meaning being Number 1 means more than profit margins if the studio is refusing to state costs and the perception in media fuelled by that of the idea of it being a Highlander situation and "There can be only one". Made worse by the more ideological activism being something pushed thus people want to prove their ideology superior to try and get more films made pushing or pandering to it as some sort of recruitment tool.

Reactions: Trunkage

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Ghosts of Sekiro, one of them had the wokeists up in arms based on who was making it.

Dunno if that was bigger, but Last of Us 2 was subjected to an even stupider controversy, just from those on the other side of the fence.
Sekiro is soulsborne with ninjas and parrying, Ghost of Tsushima is breath of the samurai and that one was made by the west. Basically you had people crying about cultural appropriation and when people showed em glowing reactions from official Japanese sources praising the game's respect for Japanese culture you had americans of asian origin (not even just japanese/americans, all sorts of random asian origins) complaining about people not considering them "real" asians and overruling them with actual Japanese people from Japan, which then kinda spilled over into other debates.

It's kinda like an overflowing river spilling into a dammed lake and then that making the whole dam come down when folks started saying the game should be game of the year over last of us 2, since all those agrieved people and their consorts who in their minds had deemed the game and those who enjoyed it as sinful were incensed by the proposition of it being better than last of us 2.