Anthony Bourdain Documentary Generates Bourdain's Words With AI

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

So, to make a long story short, there's a documentary about the life of the late Anthony Bourdain. In part of the documentary, there is an email that is initially read out by the recipient, but segues into Bourdain's voice. The issue? Bourdain didn't actually say those words aloud. Instead, the documentary maker created an AI model of his voice and had that model "read" the words in Bourdain's voice.

This really strikes an uncomfortable feel for me. It's basically paving the way to have literally anyone say anything in their voice, and the fact that it is being used in a documentary makes that worse. Sure, here it is apparently just being used as a way to have Bourdain "voice" his thoughts, but the reaction of the filmmaker seems a bit disingenuous, saying "If you watch the film, other than that line you mentioned, you probably don’t know what the other lines are that were spoken by the A.I., and you’re not going to know. We can have a documentary-ethics panel about it later.”

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Didn't this guy get MeToo'd after it was revealed he paid off that kid that was raped by his girlfriend? Or was that after he killed himself?

Either way, the biggest threat to Anthony Bourdain's legacy is Anthony Bourdain.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Full-on deep fake videos have been a thing for a while now; why is this unusually unsettling? I don't know much about Bourdain, but a computer faking a world traveling foodie's voice is a touch less unnerving than a video of the president of the United States declaring nuclear war on Russia...

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Not long now till this Black Mirror episode becomes a reality.

I trust humanity will be responsible with it of course.

Last edited: