Anti-Gay Email Campaign Floods Electronic Arts

Creatural

Nov 19, 2009
It will never cease to amaze me how such angry people are more interested in my sexuality than I am. Here's a hint, "family" values groups, if you think about gay sex more than I do you might be gayer than me.

I'm definitely going to send EA a thank you email for not caving into homophobes.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Points to EA for telling these homophobes to basically shut up and piss off, The only response they deserve.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
"the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists"

Obviously this guy hasn't played the mass effect games, he'd surely know that the Pro-Reaper activists are the greatest threat.. silly people

I don't see the point in boycotting gay relationships, I mean you could alredy bang aliens does it matter if you go gay with fellow humans?

And to those who say that being gay was shoe-horned in and that there's too much attention on the gay characters or there are too many gay characters:

Well hey, there's been 2000 years of focus upon straight people and their relationships, its all over the media, in almost every advert, be it for cars, alcohol or perfume, there's usually a male and female getting intimate.. and suddenly a few games come up that have maybe a little more gay in them than normal and BOOM, thats too much gay for you're average gamer to handle

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
You know you're a real scumbag when you make EA look better by comparison.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
I've never understood why groups like this feel that the best course of action is to try and force companies to change the product rather than simply keep it away from their kids. The sheer arrogance of it, to assume that their minority group knows what's best for everyone else (who has no problem with it in the first place) is astounding.

Putting aside for a second the completely outdated viewpoint on homosexuality, why is it that everyone who is fine with characters in a game being gay should have that aspect of the game removed? In what way does that make more sense than these groups just not buying the game? I know, I know, they're doing it for the good of everyone, they're thinking of the children, blah blah blah. To me, that's not a valid argument, and never will be. It puts fewer people out for these people to not buy the game than for EA to change it to appease them. On that basis alone, it would never happen.

To come back to the views on homosexuality, I can't believe that anyone actually has so much of a problem with it as to try to make EA remove it from the game. Firstly, it's not even like the game forces you to make any homosexual options, so unlike real life it is a genuine choice for your character to be gay. That means that either these people are choosing that route and then complaining about it, which is just imbecilic, or they just disagree with homosexuality existing within the game world, in which case I feel that their complaints should be thrown straight in the bin rather than actually being responded to.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
I still struggle to understand what they have against gays. I mean The Greeks and Romans were okay with homosexuality and they did pretty well for themselves.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
LoathsomePete said:
You know you're a real scumbag when you make EA look better by comparison.
You'd think that would be a tough feat to accomplish.

On a side note: leave Liara and FemShep alone! D:

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Alright then- Family values nutters, time for a Lesson in the economy.

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.
Lol. IDK, seemed pretty effective when liberals boycotted Rush. I think these people have confused "boycott" with "harass companies through angry letters and negative publicity until they meet our demands." That goes for both sides. The only thing that sucks for the conservatives is that they really don't have much cultural leverage. It's much more threatening to accuse someone of racism, sexism or chauvinism than promoting a homosexual agenda. Part of that might be due to the liberal media, which, let's face it, does have something approaching a liberal agenda (though not to the degree that Fox is conservative). But that's probably just a reflection of the fact that the country is more progressive in its value system, and that the anti-gay activists are only supported by a small minority.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Jon Shannow said:
I still struggle to understand what they have against gays. I mean The Greeks and Romans were okay with homosexuality and they did pretty well for themselves.
They were also into pedophilia...

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Riddle78 said:
Question. How is being against homosexuality moral in any way? No one is harmed. No one is effected in an ill way,ever in these relationships if they're genuine. The anti-homosexuality people have no moral ground to stand on. Family values shouldn't be about discriminating people based on their sexual preference. Family values should be built on respect,tolerance,,goodwill,and greatest of all,neutrality.

I see these anti-homosexual activists as blind,deaf,and bigoted individuals who are incapable of seeing how people can be happy following a different lifestyle. That's what it boils down to. "They're different. Therefore,they're wrong,amoral,or outright evil." This is coming from an asexual white left-handed guy.

So,I pose a question to you who hold an anti-homosexual stance,and seek to have other people adopt your stance: Why,exactly,do you feel that way,and why do you think it so important to have other people see your way?
It's immoral (some might argue) simply because God is the source of our morality, and since it is forbidden in the bible, it is thus immoral.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Uber Waddles said:
This kind of stuff gets on my nerves - we don't worry about issues like inflation, the national debt, teenage pregnancy, people starving, or genocide. But god forbid a game developer adds an option to have a gay relationship - then we have to get our panties all up in a bunch.
That is absolutely not true! Rick Santorum has come up with the solution for teenage pregnancy: ban contraception and make abortions a criminal offence. Once he has his way, all teenage girls will be pregnant and not be able to do anything about it. Problem solved.

Oh, wait... I've got the wrong end of the stick...?

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
ccdohl said:
Easton Dark said:
Azex said:
its 2012...this is still an issue with some people?
You would be amazed what some people still think in 2012. I'm talking 0 A.D. shit that's still hanging around the southern U.S.
Oh man, I live in Georgia, and it's just mind boggling. I live near Atlanta too, and it's still crazy the kind of stuff I run in to.
It makes me embarassed to live in the US that there are millions of people who would actually vote into office a person that happily stands up and says they don't believe in science, the world is only 2,000 years old, and we were all created by some dude with a white beard sitting on a cloud. Oh, and that their claptrap should be taught to kids in school as 'fact'.

It blows my mind. In any other civilized western country, a person running for office that said any of that would be laughed off the stage.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Sounds like EA just trying to deflect attention away from its winning of the worst company in America award.

I have no proof that these emails aren't real, but it seems awfully convenient for them.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
omicron1 said:
Remember the ridiculous Orson Scott Card boycott campaign?

How is it that equal and opposite actions receive equal and opposite reactions? Everyone who loved the boycotts (people expressing their displeasure with a company's association and inferred views) apparently hates the emails (dem horribul conservatives, durr). Just a thought.
Let me see if I can clear this up for you.

Group A wants to be free from oppression and so they and their allies boycott their oppressors.
Group B wants to keep Group A oppressed and so boycotts anyone who tries to help Group A attain equal rights or equal representation.

You may not, but many people see those two things as morally very different. I put forth that protesting to gain equality is not equivalent to protesting to deny people equality.

Let's put this in a concrete example.
Before the Supreme Court case Loving v. Virgina in 1967 is was perfectly legal for states to prohibit people of different races from marrying.

Set Up: So say a black woman and a white man want to get married (perhaps my parents...who luckily were in California where it wasn't illegal). They want to have the same rights as a same-race couple. They are denied that right.

Situation 1) Some author writes a book about how blacks and whites should never marry...because we can't change the institutions of marriage, it is bad for society, they don't want to have to see a black and a white person kissing because it creeps them out, etc. People who believe in the concept of equality boycott that author. They boycott in order to further freedom and equality and tolerance.

Situation 2) Star Trek has black woman Uhura and white man Kirk kiss in an episode. A bunch of people who don't like black people, don't like the idea of black people and white people kissing, don't want to change the institution of marriage to extend equal rights decide to boycott and write letters of protest to Paramount. They boycott in order to further oppression, inequality, and intolerance.

If you value what the Declaration of Independence, one of the founding documents of the USA, says, that "we hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." If you further also consider black people (or women, or gay people, etc) to be human beings...then you should be fine with boycotting those who undermine the fabric of our nation by denying those self-evident truths--those anti-American people who don't believe in equality and in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Similarly, you should also be against boycotts that try to further un-American values of intolerance, inequality and oppression.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Hah, EAs reluctant customers have been pleading, threatening and raging for years to make EA change their policies in things that actually matter. Do they really think they are going to listen to a group that doesent even buy their games?

And once again:
"Them homos be trying to buttrape me family with them there vidyagames"
LOL americans

sharpshooter188

Mar 9, 2009
I want to know why it so easily just throws you into a same sex humping when you are just being friendly. Apparently, there is something wrong with a guy liking a vagina and a woman liking a penis. It's like straight people are being guilt tripped about being straight now a days.