Anti-Rape underwear

nariette

Jun 9, 2013
Of course, it's stupid that women have to protect themselves from rape, and it's never your fault. There's no such thing as "asking for it". I wish I could live in a society where I wouldn't have to be scared when I go home late at night. However, this is not a perfect society, and while we can try to teach people that rape is wrong, there will be more rapes and assaults in the future. I hate how people worry when a girl goes home alone at night, but it's just the way it is. I can go home alone if I want to with my head help up high thinking "It's never my fault", but that isn't going to help me when I'm being dragged into the bushes. I'll still be a victim, regardless of whose fault it is.

My stepmother told me that when she had her daughter she thought "should I teach her to be scared of men? Should I teach her martial arts?" but in the end she told her daughter to have confidence and give others the body language of "You shouldn't mess with me". Apart from sexist comments on the street (and pretty much every woman deals with that), she has never been harassed or anything of the sort. If supposedly "rape-proof panties" help with giving you that kind of confidence they are in my opinion a good thing. If they really do work? Even better.

I really would love to live in a society where rape doesn't happen, but the world is just unfair. Rape is never your fault, but until rape and/or murder doesn't exist anymore, I'm afraid things like this will have to be invented for the sake of protecting women.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
I've already got protection and confidence that can be worn, that protects me not only from rape, but armed robbery, assault and serial killers.

I highly suggest all of you wear one too.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
thaluikhain said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Like I'm seriously curious how recently a court legitimately used that as evidence. Honestly this gets thrown around a lot and I'm just curious how recently this was a thing.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/rape-of-woman-in-skinny-jeans-not-possible-20100430-tzai.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/2447225/Italy-overturns-ruling-that-women-wearing-tight-jeans-cannot-be-raped.html

Fairly recently, a least in part.

However, those are just explicit examples, not where they were quietly a factor.
None of these are in the Americas, and the one in Europe was upheld for the stupidity of the argument. Along with that the argument was not, she was wearing skinny jeans so she deserved it. It was, she was wearing skinny jeans therefore it would take her consent for them to be removed. An incredibly stupid argument, no doubt, but an argument of a very desperate defendant trying to argue consent not she was asking for it.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Imperius said:
I've already got protection and confidence that can be worn, that protects me not only from rape, but armed robbery, assault and serial killers.

http://www.besthandgunguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/glock-21.jpg

I highly suggest all of you wear one too.
The issue is that it is not legal in many places outside the US to have one of those.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Kind of pricey but they look pretty hot. I approve.

There is always room for one more line of daisy dukes in the world.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Hopefully this doesn't end up like the LifeLock challenge where people fucked with their security just to show how vulnerable it was.

I'm all for women feeling more safe, and there's still the alternatives of mace, tasers, and firearms available. I'd rather have a product that does physical harm to the attempted raper than something that will frustrate them and probably lead their sick mind to do something else with the victim.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
As if there wasn't enough hysteria about rape. Congratulations company, yet another source encouraging women to be paranoid about a statistically very rare form of violent crime in order to extort money out of them. As if it suggests wearing these on a date! If you think it's likely that your date is a rapist, you don't go out with them. Utter hysterical nonsense. What next? Anti-Stab dresses? Bullet-proof bras? "Well young lady, it's better to wear your body armour on a first date, after all, we don't know whether or not Timmy is a homicidal maniac! Remember to take the Desert Eagle in your purse as well!"

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
The issue is that it is not legal in many places outside the US to have one of those.
Indeed, and I find that quite sad. Self-defense is a basic human right, not just an American one, and I say that an an Englishman who lives in the states.

Personally, I've gotten so used to carrying a firearm, I think even if I moved back to the UK or another country where it was illegal, I'd carry one anyway.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Imperius said:
Boris Goodenough said:
Indeed, and I find that quite sad. Self-defense is a basic human right, not just an American one, and I say that an an Englishman who lives in the states.

Personally, I've gotten so used to carrying a firearm, I think even if I moved back to the UK or another country where it was illegal, I'd carry one anyway.
Yes self-defense is a human right however there is also a right to a fair trail which is kinda null-en void when you've elected yourself as judge jury and executioner.

randomrob said:
As if there wasn't enough hysteria about rape. Congratulations company, yet another source encouraging women to be paranoid about a statistically very rare form of violent crime in order to extort money out of them. As if it suggests wearing these on a date! If you think it's likely that your date is a rapist, you don't go out with them. Utter hysterical nonsense. What next? Anti-Stab dresses? Bullet-proof bras? "Well young lady, it's better to wear your body armour on a first date, after all, we don't know whether or not Timmy is a homicidal maniac! Remember to take the Desert Eagle in your purse as well!"
I think you are over-reacting but I kinda see your point. Its a bit shady that companies intimidate you into buying their product through fear (probably the same tactics they used to market that lovely firearm posted above), its a well known fact that fear sells. Its also a bit weird that women are being told to wear these on a date, thats just fucked up. HOWEVER if there is a million to one chance she could be raped then I can fully understand why she isnt gonna take that chance, most of us enter the lottery in the off-chance we win a million so why not wear these in the off-chance that you might get raped

I know its a little unorthadox and im activating my flameshield as we speak. Why dont we legalise, regulate and control prostitution? Rapists who need to relieve there sexual desires can do so in a controlled way without having to resort to raping people on the street. Sure its not going to solve the problem but it may help

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Imperius said:
Boris Goodenough said:

Yes self-defense is a human right however there is also a right to a fair trail which is kinda null-en void when you've elected yourself as judge jury and executioner.

randomrob said:
I think you are over-reacting but I kinda see your point. Its a bit shady that companies intimidate you into buying their product through fear (probably the same tactics they used to market that lovely firearm posted above), its a well known fact that fear sells. Its also a bit weird that women are being told to wear these on a date, thats just fucked up. HOWEVER if there is a million to one chance she could be raped then I can fully understand why she isnt gonna take that chance, most of us enter the lottery in the off-chance we win a million so why not wear these in the off-chance that you might get raped

I know its a little unorthadox and im activating my flameshield as we speak. Why dont we legalise, regulate and control prostitution? Rapists who need to relieve there sexual desires can do so in a controlled way without having to resort to raping people on the street. Sure its not going to solve the problem but it may help
To the first point, it's more an issue of in the moment you are defending yourself, and if society deems that you were unwarranted in your use of force in self defense then you get a manslaughter charge heaped on you. It's not perfect but seeing freedom as a basic negative human right is often a double edged sword if not treated properly.

To the second point. I would LOVE for prostitution to be made legal in America. However, between anti sex feminists and conservative prudes who think that it'll be the death of society it's probably not going to come about. However however however... I don't think most people rape just because they want to get their rocks off. There's a predatory nature to a lot of premeditated rapists and prostitutes wouldn't really dissuade people from rapes of passion as they would be something that happens in the moment.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
shootthebandit said:
If someone breaks the law and displays intent to harm me or the ones I care for, then yes, I will do what I have to. Admittedly, I'd rather simply incapacitate him/her, but that isn't always an option, especially if the assailant(s) are armed.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Ugh I really hate to speak down on a product that is suppose to prevent something as extreme as rape but this product is stupid. Honestly this looks a lot more like clothing so you can advertise the fact your wearing anti-rape gear. It's a good idea in nature but people are messed up in the head if they are going to go as far as comment rape, if they get off on things like empowerment or demoralizing a victim it honestly makes them more of a target then not one, and also the other screwed up idiots that will try something because they say no. A few NRA bumper stickers and patches on your jacket would be more deterring then these pants.

Honestly more common sense would be better then buying clothing like this. If the idea of "hmm I better wear my anti-rape gear to this party" goes through your head, How about don't go to the party! or bring friends with you, or don't drink.

You know what would be a good device tho, Something like life alert. You press the button, a signal gets sent to somewhere that calls the police and sends them to you. Finding a time to just press a button you wear like a necklace in a struggle should be easy and everything is going to stop real damn quick when sirens start or at least what would be the best thing not devil advocate style.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Imperius said:

Most places you get several years in prison for that not to mention a very spotted record that would make getting jobs and licenses vor various things very hard.
Also the whole problem is most rapes happen by people you know, quite often in your own home. Do you carry in your own place?
And add to that people are often very intoxicated so using weapons is not always something you can do.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Also the whole problem is most rapes happen by people you know, quite often in your own home. Do you carry in your own place?
And add to that people are often very intoxicated so using weapons is not always something you can do.
And if you do, you are likely to face prison time for it.

(Not to mention, there's a big difference between "allowing self defence" and "allowing firearms possession".

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
you must have a nice mindset if you'd wear these everyday everywhere right? i'd see myself wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest at all time too then. to be fair i'm a guy and rape isn't a fear of mine. still i think something is wrong with people making a profit of fear in women (or fear in general) and just imagine meeting someone like this and maybe you'll hook up and you try to pull these down and she's like "oh no wait those are my rape-pants" now tell me you wouldn't feel like she's crazy in some form.

i just think this is wrong in many ways and it doesn't adress a solution to stop rape but to make it an everyday feeling of fear you can put on.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
It's been said before but ima gonna say it again anyway.

Odds are all these are going to lead to is the "She was wearing anti-rape underwear. How could I have raped her?" defense. No lock is fool proof, and you can bet how to bypass them is going to be known pretty quick by those who go out with the intent to rape.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Most places you get several years in prison for that not to mention a very spotted record that would make getting jobs and licenses vor various things very hard.
That's exactly why I moved to the US, the justice system in the UK is so reprobate now, that they punish the individual that is defending hearth and home as well as the criminal.

Boris Goodenough said:
I do carry in my own house, my glock is laying next to me right now. Not because I fear the people that live with me, but so I have easy access to it in case someone decides to break into my flat.
And it should not matter if the person is inebriated or under the influence of mind altering drugs. If they try to harm someone the law should always side with the person defending him/herself.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Imperius said:
So it's okay to break laws you think are stupid?

Got it.

Personally I think anti-rape and murder laws are stupid*, and I reckon that by holding someone up at gunpoint I'm negating the weapon they're carrying.

Seriously. Do it now. Pick up your gun and (assuming it's already made-ready) point it at your front door. Can you do that quicker than me coming through your door with a ready weapon and my finger already on the trigger.

That's in your house, with your glock sat next to you.

Let's do it in the street, where I take you by surprise and you've already got my gun to your head by the time you're even aware something is amiss.

Now, I appreciate what I'm saying here sounds like the normal anti-gun stuff you hear (and I do kinda feel that way, however it's a much more complex issue than can be summed up in a few paragraphs here), but the truth is I feel that gun ownership between the US and the UK are cultural issues - you'll never disarm America and arming the UK is a fucking stupid idea. To that end I say each country should stay it's individual course.

By the way - despite how I'm coming across, I'm not actually criticising you for owning a weapon for self defence, within the US that's entirely your decision and I've genuinely no problem with it. What I am criticising is your insistence that you'd come back here and wield a pistol for "self defence" like a common South London thug.

My question is: Why? It's just not something you need to do here. Unless you are, in fact, a common south London thug. (And I use the term 'common' in the derogatory fashion, not as an indicator of the actual numbers of thugs in south London.).

Alas, I have gone far off topic. On Topic: Rape is bad. Things that help prevent rape are good.

*I don't ACTUALLY think those laws are stupid, I was setting that up as reductio ad absurdum to the idea that if one believes in gun ownership and that laws banning guns are to be ignored.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Imperius said:
shootthebandit said:
If someone breaks the law and displays intent to harm me or the ones I care for, then yes, I will do what I have to. Admittedly, I'd rather simply incapacitate him/her, but that isn't always an option, especially if the assailant(s) are armed.
Imperius said:
shootthebandit said:
If its easy enough for you to get a gun to protect yourself then surely its equally easy for a rapist or killer to get a gun? Im not saying you cant get guns in the UK but its just not so readily available