Antitheists and hypocrisy (SORRY FOR MAKING A RELIGION THREAD)

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
LewsTherin said:
What I meant by "It's all what you believe" is that you believe that the universe was created by some higher power, or exploded into being, or what have you. I may believe what you believe, or I may not. The "why" and "how", while interesting, don't change the immediacy of the "what". Everything is as it is, however you choose to colour it, be that correct or not, is up to you and that is your own opinion. Simply wallowing in unknowning won't get anyone anywhere, you must make some assumptions as you feel out your surroundings. But, you have to keep in mind most of what you know is based on assumptions.
Whenever I post about these threads and it's not about computer science, it's about the "why" and "how".

I think people can reasonably arrive at different conclusions about this whole theism/atheism/agnosticism/whatever thing based on the differences in their own experiences. As long as how they arrived at their conclusion is sensible, I don't have much to fear from them, because we can work out or disagreements about issues more concrete than God simply by sharing our knowledge and experience.

People who have a messed-up understanding of how beliefs are formed, however, scare the fuck out of me. They can't filter out mistaken beliefs because they don't modify their preexisting beliefs based on new knowledge. Which means they could come to believe anything.

And I see a lot of folks with bad epistemic systems out and about in the world, and a lot of folks who actively promote bad epistemic systems to others. Those people are the fuel for so much of the bad stuff that people do to each other.

-- Alex

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Captain Blackout said:
Phyroxis said:
I misquoted Occam. Thanks for the original.
You misquoted me, BTW. I'm not arguing that God created the universe here. I'm arguing that spiritual and non-spiritual answers are roughly equally plausible to me. While Newton's rephrasing doesn't help that position, the original statement does, roughly as much as it helps the atheist.

I was being vague with my interpretation of the arguments. I wasnt quoting you, per se, just a summation of each side of the debate.