Any anime you would Recommend to someone...

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Don't normally post here, but I would like to take the chance to spread around an anime that recently aired (In like June or April of this year I think).

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon)

It's the first show that's been directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) in several years.

It also reunites him with composer Yoko Kanno (responsible for Cowboy Bebop's kickass soundtrack as well as other animes like Ghost in the Shell), with the show featuring a crazy good jazz-based soundtrack.

The basic premise is that it follows these high school kids who really like jazz in 1960s Japan.

There's only 12 episodes and I've only watched the first 8, but this show's really awesome and I hope more people start checking it out.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL

Only ones I've watched in their entirety I think and that was only cause of Toonami/Adult Swim.

Outside of that I've watched a bit of Gurren Lagann and I enjoyed it. Stopped keeping up with it though

Oh and welcome to the escapist!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I've been watching anime since 1989 & I prefer classics.
Watch the fansubs unless otherwise directed.

Very long action adventure comedies:
*Slayers. (dub).
*Gintama.
*Hunter x Hunter (Watch the original before the remake).

Short action adventure:
*Majing Tantei Nougami Neuro.
*GetBackers (dub).
*Gensoumaden Saiyuki (Season 1 = dub, seasons 2 & 3 = sub).
*Kino no Tabi (dub).
*King of Bandit Jing.
*Eden's Bowey.
*Robotech (dub).

Comedies: (I have pretty ecchi taste for a girl).
*Excel Saga (dub).
*Bokusatsu Tenchi Dokuro Chan. (Avoid season 2).
*Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.
*Photon: The Idiot Adventures (dub).
*Juubei-Chan (Avoid season 2 & the dub).
*Nekojiru Gekijou.
*Ebichu (I warn you, it's very f**ked up).
*Original Dirty Pair.
*Ranma 1/2.

Anime movies: (Horror, drama, sci-fi, action-fantasy, psychological thriller).
*Gall Force: Eternal Story/Destruction/Stardust War.
*Lily C.A.T.
*Ninja Resurrection.
*Wind of Amnesia.
*Petshop of Horrors.
*Grave of the Fireflies.
*Barefoot Gen.
*Perfect Blue.
*Gunbuster.
*Macross Plus (Roman Holiday in Spaaaaaaaace).
*Battle Angel Alita.
*Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

So bad it's funny: Full movies online.
*Diatron 5. http://archive.org/details/Micro-commandoDiatron-5
*Space Thunder Kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qxdQu_NqxM

AllTheoryNoPractice

Apr 6, 2009
Katanagatari. It's twelve, hour-long episodes with gorgeous art, great characters, and a fascinating story. If it falls down anywhere, it's that the fights are a little anti-climactic for how much they're built up (but still cool).

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist
Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann
Outlaw Star
Woah OP said 4 years not this century!
Shadowstar38 said:
Deadman Wonderland
...Come on I realize Escapist doesn't have the most refined taste and I usually say whatever floats your boat but that show was just BAD seriously I know people shit on shows like SAO and Elfen Lied a lot but I would rather watch those then Deadman Wonderland if you recommend Deadman then at least recommend the Manga.

At least these past couple years we haven't had much good stuff but this season is looking really good so far.
Check out the AOTYs and google some older charts the only real big shows that raked in money recently have been K-on and Puella Madoka Magica. I really enjoyed Stiens;Gate,Nichabros and Jinrui so those are possibilities really when it comes down to it google is your friend.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
xplosive59 said:
I finished watching Elfen Lied 3 days ago (moved onto Wolf's Rain now which I would highly recommend), and it might be in my top 3 animes now, really emotionally exhausting although it has a happy ending and the tone of the show is just amazing, although there is a shit tonne of gore it goes with the plot which I like and that is coming from someone who dislikes huge ammounts of gore because I think it's stupid. Definatly a 9.5/10 anime, the only thing holding it back is Yuka, god I disliked her, mainly because she was always crying and complaining yet has the least problems out of the cast, seriously...
A victim of a Pedophile with parents who don't give 2 shits about her, 2 schizophrenic serial killers with one of them suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and Kouta, who had his sister and father brutally murdered.
... And yet she is the one who whines and cries all the time!
Thanks for the suggestion man but I dont think my fragile little mind can take anymore emotionally exhausting anime, at the moment (I am one of the annoying people who cries at the end). Although it does sound like something I will definitely check out in the future.

SPOILERS FOR ELFEN LIED (no idea how to make the little grey box)

Also I have a question for you about the end of Elfen Lied. Do you think Lucy came back in the end? I am pretty sure it is her at the door, because it would be too unlikely just to be some random woman come to sell bread or something. It was also made pretty clear Lucy cant really die, because she goes through soldiers like a knife through butter, despite losing her other ear, I am pretty sure she survived.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
verdant monkai said:
xplosive59 said:
I finished watching Elfen Lied 3 days ago (moved onto Wolf's Rain now which I would highly recommend), and it might be in my top 3 animes now, really emotionally exhausting although it has a happy ending and the tone of the show is just amazing, although there is a shit tonne of gore it goes with the plot which I like and that is coming from someone who dislikes huge ammounts of gore because I think it's stupid. Definatly a 9.5/10 anime, the only thing holding it back is Yuka, god I disliked her, mainly because she was always crying and complaining yet has the least problems out of the cast, seriously...
A victim of a Pedophile with parents who don't give 2 shits about her, 2 schizophrenic serial killers with one of them suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and Kouta, who had his sister and father brutally murdered.
... And yet she is the one who whines and cries all the time!
Thanks for the suggestion man but I dont think my fragile little mind can take anymore emotionally exhausting anime, at the moment (I am one of the annoying people who cries at the end). Although it does sound like something I will definitely check out in the future.

SPOILERS FOR ELFEN LIED [Spoilered for you :)]

Also I have a question for you about the end of Elfen Lied. Do you think Lucy came back in the end? I am pretty sure it is her at the door, because it would be too unlikely just to be some random woman come to sell bread or something. It was also made pretty clear Lucy cant really die, because she goes through soldiers like a knife through butter, despite losing her other ear, I am pretty sure she survived.
Good question, it is a happy ending in the anime. What happens is...

The music box finishes as soon as the figure arrives at the door which signifies that Lucy is dead (she went up to the soldiers and commited suicide essentially because she loved Kouta and he would never forgive her, she throws her arms up ressembling this) she loved that music box and it finishing means she is finally at peace, but the Grandfather clock starts going again, the object that Nyu loved.

This means that Lucy lost her horns and no longer exists and the Nyu personality has full control, you can see this because in the final battle Lucy only has 2 invisible arms instead of 4, as she had already lost 1 horn, losing both means her psychopathic side no longer exists and she is free to live out the rest of her life as Kaede/Nyu with the rest of the main characters.

Hope that cleared things up :D

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
I recommend Sword Art Online, it's still ongoing but it's one of the best new animes I've seen in a while.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Black Lagoon
Angel Beats!
Spice and Wolf
Steins;Gate
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Mouretsu Pirates
Toradora!
To Love-Ru (Ecchi)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (Ecchi)
Yuru Yuri
Nichijou

Favorites of mine. Yay.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
Martian Successor Nadesico
Hellsing Ultimate
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist (probably not brotherhood, but I shouldn't speak since I haven't given it a fair chance yet)
Uhh..
umm..
padding..
Cause I really can't think of any more.

No seriously check out Martian Successor Nadesico, it might be hard to find a good dub so I HIGHLY recommend going and buying the box set. It's honestly the best anime I've ever seen, they balance their piss taking antics of mecha anime with a serious plot so freaking well.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note are often recommended as gateway titles, and I can attest for them. If you don't mind a certain amount of gore I'd also recommend Baccano, it's a pretty sharp and entertaining series, one of my favorites.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:
Boku No Pico
You did not just suggest that, please tell me... Dear god you are a horrible person.
With all due respect of course.

As for my suggestions:
Last Exile
Durarara
Broken Blade (6 episodes, each 45 minutes long. Fantasy mecha show, great animation)
King of Thorn (a movie, check out the manga too)
Sword Art Online (ongoing)
Jormungand
Eureka 7 (pronounced Eh-yu-reh-ka)
Eureka 7 AO (Astral Ocean)
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Seirei no Moribito
Chrono Crusade
Code:Breaker
The Tower of Druaga
Fractale
K (that's what it is actually called, ongoing)
Dead Leaves (another movie, just sit back and let your brain melt)
Paranoia Agent
Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo (logic does not exist)

You could also check out some Abridged series like Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series, DBZ:Abridged, None Piece, and Code MENT. (I thought the idea of abridging Code Geass was sacrilegious until I saw this)

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I don't watch all that much anime, but you if you have any interest in it at all you absolutely must watch Angel Beats, definitely my favorite anime. It manages to be both very emotional and very funny, and it also has good action and a fantastic soundtrack.