Any beer snob escapists? If so, any favorites?

Turbo_Destructor

Apr 5, 2010
I'd have to say my favourites would be James Boag Premium, and James Squire Original Pale Ale. I tend to like the softer, mellower beers.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
bigsby said:
It is not even widely available in Germany outside Bavaria. Which is a shame cause it is unbelievably good, evil Bavarians hogging all the best beers for themselves.
Yeah, I know it sounds typically arrogant in these sorts of discussions to say "I'm right and everyone else is wrong", but I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Augustiner is unfathomably good. I drank all over Europe during fest season, including most bits of Germany, and nothing approaches this beer. What's more, I talked to tons of people from all the world during these trips, and praise was unanimous - everyone loves the stuff. It's so good you don't even mind the hangover.

I'd go so far as to say this: if you love beer, you owe it to yourself to visit Munich and drink Augustiner.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I'm a beer snob well and true but because of my heritage I'd expect to be.
The best beer I've ever had was a pint of Guinness (My fave) at an Irish pub with the cleanest lines.

But as a fan of the darker ales if anyone travels to Australia have a go of Tooheys Old, it is pure singing of angles with an after taste of sweet honey.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Had a bottle of Flying Dog's "Horn Dog" Barley Wine last night. Truly good beer, although I had my doubts, with it being american, and being marketed with Hunter S. Thompson quotes. Tasted quite excellent, and as a side bonus, it got me a bit tipsy, being 10.2% and all.

Thee Prisoner

Apr 28, 2010
lilmisspotatoes said:
I was born and raised in the state with the most microbreweries per capita, so I guess I'm not so much a beer 'snob' as someone who gets picky.

Personally, I love Blue Moon on draft with a slice of orange. But my all time favorite is the Full Moon Ale from the Blue Moon brewery. It's a darker beer with just a hint of sweetness, perfect for enjoying on a cold night (and it's only produced during the winter, so yay). Honey Moon isn't bad either.
Denver is number 1 of beer produced per capita.

Portland, Oregon is number 1 in microbreweries/brewpubs and makes more varieties of beer.

"Our guide to Portland will help you find the best breweries in Portland Oregon. What distinguishes Portland, Oregon, from the rest of America's cityscapes? Or from the rest of the world's urban destinations, for that matter? In a Northwest nutshell: everything. For some, it's the wealth of cultural offerings and never-ending culinary choices; for others, it's Portland's proximity to the ocean and mountains, or simply the beauty of having all these attributes in one place. Strolling through downtown or within one of Portland's numerous neighborhoods, there's an unmistakable vibrancy to this city -- one that is encouraged by clean air, infinite trees, and a diverse blend of historic and modern architecture. There are tons of great breweries in the city of Portland, our city guide will help you find the best breweries. You may have a hard time deciding what to do in Portland, but we make your decision easy.

In 2008, Portland had 30 microbreweries located within the city limits, more than any city in the world and greater than one-third of the state total. With 46 microbrew outlets, Portland has more breweries and brewpubs per capita than any other city in the United States. Many have won nationwide and international acclaim."

Considering that Portland, Oregon is a small city that makes it even more impressive.

Happy brewing, the Prisoner.

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
When its around, I tend to stick to Peroni, by the tap. It's just so nice, so crisp... YUM!

Otherwise, theres always Guinness. I gave Guinness and Black a taste the other day, it's surprisingly nice :)

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I probably qualify as a beer snob. My personal favourites being bitters and ales. That being said, most of my favourites are swedish brands that most people most likely have never heard off. So far, however, I find that the Wychwood-line is usually to my tastes especially Hobgoblin.

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
My two favorite beers are the Belgian Pauwel Kwak (a slightly sweet amber 8,4%) and the Canadian Dieu du Ciel's Rigor Mortis Abt (a dark, complex spicy quad of about 10.50%). Kwak is quite easy to come by, Rigor Mortis Abt is only produced in small batches and harder to obtain.

I'd highly recommend trying those two if you ever get the chance.

captain wow

Apr 3, 2009
Guinness is my personal favourite, I can drink it till the cows come home. I like stout in general, O'Hara's would be my second favourite but it's hard to find these days. Good, High quality Guinness is unbeatable but it can be very hit and miss from pub to pub. My local is genuinely in the running for the finest pint in Ireland, which is no mean feat to say the least, but the pubs either side of it have terrible, sour Guinness that is nigh undrinkable. You have to know your stuff when it comes to Guinness because a really bad pint of it will fuck you up. I'll give you a tip, never drink it in a hotel bar.... or a country that isn't Ireland.

I only drink beer (lagers/pilsners) when the stout isn't good because I find beer too gassy these days and it really spoils my enjoyment of it which is a real shame. My stomach has become quite sensitive and beer gives me indigestion for about 3 days (damn you crappy genes!!!). I live near two fantastic pubs which serve speciality beers from around the world and their menu's hardly overlap at all. This makes the fact that I can't drink that much beer all the harder to stomach.

I was in Budapest last year and I've gotta say their local beers were the nicest that I've ever drank. We sat around in bars sampling everything they had on tap and it was sheer bliss. The draft Dreher in particular was refreshing in a way that draft beers just aren't here. I realise that pretty much everything seems nicer on holidays but even taking that into account their beer was damn good. Also when I was in Amsterdam we visited a Heineken Bar which served me one of the finest pints of beer I have ever sampled (it was Heineken of course).

captain wow

Apr 3, 2009
I have a feeling after reading this thread that I'll be hitting the pub for few as soon as I finish work. Gonna have me some nice pints

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Isn't beer way to local to discuss it across borders?

I know you nearly can't get Urpils outside of Saarland, so talking about my preferences seems a bit pointless.

It's from Karlsberg though, theyre more famous for Mixery or Desperados, Urpils is their "real" beer.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Favourite that I can commonly get hold of: Wychwood Hobgoblin.
Other favourites all come from microbreweries/speciality shops back home, Hampshire Bowman Wallop's Wood is easily the best (as my Avatar might give away), but the rest of the Bowman ales are brilliant. Another really good one is Harvey's Armada Ales, from Lewes, East Sussex.
Beer makes me love being English.

gragimor

Sep 25, 2008
TheBlackKnight said:
P.I.Staker said:
Hertog Jan!
Hertog Jan, Guinness and Stiegl, a local brewery.

Though I am not really a vivid beer drinker, I prefer ciders more
For the Dutch speaking among us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTnDYbJN3ic the Hertog Jan song :p
While Hertog is a good beer for easy drinking, if your're looking for a good 'once in a while beer', try La Chouffe, beer from belgium, nice and dark, full taste.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
when I'm out and about its usually Tooheys: extra dry. That and Cascade was the first beers i had as a kid. But since my grandpa passed away there's a giant stash of Victoria Bitter under the house waiting to be devoured. Even though VB has the nickname V*****(lady-parts) Backwash because of its bad taste, Its my sentimental favourite.

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
Radeonx said:
I've started drinking Corona, and am enjoying it quite a lot.
Given that I've been poor for my last 3 years of college, I've been drinking whatever is usually cheapest, and am just getting into the "finer beers".
I regularly drunk real beers untill this year when I started being a student again. Now I have to settle for vodka and el-chepo cider most of the time, It sucks.

Megalodon said:
Favourite that I can commonly get hold of: Wychwood Hobgoblin.
Other favourites all come from microbreweries/speciality shops back home, Hampshire Bowman Wallop's Wood is easily the best (as my Avatar might give away), but the rest of the Bowman ales are brilliant. Another really good one is Harvey's Armada Ales, from Lewes, East Sussex.
Beer makes me love being English.
I'm a fan of a lot of the Wychwood beers myself, especially hobgoblin. Truth is my favourite tends to depend what I'm in the mood for really, although a general fave would be McEwans Champion.

Also although I'm not really a fan of their beers I love what Brewdog is doing in regards to taking the piss left right and centre.

swolf

May 3, 2010
I'm not really a beer snob but I prefer Miller High Life or Bud Light. Good flavor and smooth.

Darmort

Mar 16, 2009
Goliath and Hobgoblin, for Wychwood Brewery.

There's also a large assortment of others, such as Fursty Ferret, Tanglefoot, Bishop's Finger, Old Speckled Hen, and several others.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Another Guinness drinker here, tho I'll drink a Sam Adams or Newcastle if it's not available.
Otter Creek makes some decent ales, too, my fave is from their "World Tour" series--Sphinx, a nice, smooth, multigrain ale.

Local brewer, McNeil's makes some good stuff as well.