Any Bilingual Escapists here?

Exia91

Jul 7, 2010
Born and raised with a Dutch Dialect. Had to learn 'proper' Dutch at elementary school. Been thaught English in (high)School. Followed by a little German, French and Spanish in high school.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
instantbenz said:
Eggsnham said:
Sorry if this thread has been done to death, but I was just wondering what languages my fellow Escapists speak.

Seeing that the Escapist is pretty diverse in the amount of people from around the world that frequent the site, I figure that this thread would be a cool idea.

Hell, feel free to answer the question in a different language, I have Google translator on a different tab.

I myself am fluent in German (well, I was fluent two years ago :p) and obviously English is my primary language.

I kinda wanna learn Russian, or maybe Spanish would be a good idea seeing as it's my country's second language.

Anyways, let the thread commence!
Ich kann Deutsch. Minored in college. Our prof was a crazy awesome Austrian woman.
Das ist sehr kuhl.

Aber ich finde das muss ich deutsch studieren.

Sorry if I may have butchered the language, I really have to brush up on my German.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
derelict said:
uno a uno, los pingüinos robar mi cordura.

...¿que?
Pedro Pablo Perez Pereira, pobre pintor portugues, pinta preciosos paisajes para partir para Paris.

Anyhoo, I speak English and Spanish from school (both very good, my spanish accent sucks), my mom taught me french (my strong language), and I'm taking german right now (and suck at it).

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Dun dun.. Danish as a first language.
Fluent in English and German.
Aaaand I speak French, Norwegian and Swedish at a "tourist" kind of level.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
English and French, though I'll be getting into Latin this summer.
Yes, I know Latin is entirely useless.

Pourqoui Francais? J'habit en Canada! Bien sur!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Swedish, English, Japanese, and German.
Or I used to know German, but I haven't spoken it in so long now that I'm probably no longer fluent.
Also, while I know Japanese well enough to have a conversation, I can't read kanji for shit.

MetalKid

Aug 11, 2009
English, Spanish - Primary
French - Mediocre
Everything Else - I Fail :(

I want to learn how to speak Russian.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I'm not, really, I've only had two year's worth of education in Spainish. I expect I'll be fairly fluent once I'm through with high school. I WOULD have taken German, but my school pulled it the year before I got there.

Tossth Esalad

Jul 11, 2009
Danish as my first language.
English as my close second.
German as my third language.
Swedish (Skånsk to be specific), Norwegian (Bokmål): heavily accented at best.
French, Spanish, Polish, Greek and Turkish on parleur level.
And last but not least, I can, more or less , read Dutch.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I only know English I am ashamed to admit.

I am trying to learn Japanese but due to my slightly fickle/obsessive nature I go into weeks of studying it like crazy then months without so much as thinking about it so I am failing rather miserably.

I'd be interested in speaking French and German but I feel I should stick to the one I started to learn really seeing as I haven't gone far enough. I was able to understand Hiragana but lack of usage has meant that I am still a little slow with it.

I can understand the general of things if they are spoken slowly enough but when informal language is used it becomes much trickier.

Denis Trailin

Feb 13, 2010
I know Russian and English. I want to learn French but the French in the Albertan school system is completely useless.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
I speak the Queens English.

Though I do know a little spanish from my GCSE's though I have forgotten quite a bit of it.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Native language: portuguese. Não é, jacaré!?

Fluent: english and spanish.

Can read something of italian and french.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I imagine a significant proportion of the European Escapists are bi-lingual (or more). Your average dutch dude speaks Dutch and at least two of English, French, German and Italian for example. I imagine most of the Canadians speak English and French. The Americans and Auzzies might be in trouble though... :D

Personally, I speak English, Afrikaans, a bit of Zulu, basic German and (very) basic Italian.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Icelandic is my first language.
And English comes in at second place.

And I wish that Japanese were my third language.But it is very difficult to learn.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm actually from Albania, so my first language is Albanian.
I also can speak German as good as Albanian because I've been born and I live in Switzerland.
I've also lernt English and French in school (English better than French) and a year ago I've started learning Chinese.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Demented Teddy said:
Dhia dhuit, conas atá tú?
Tá tuirse orm anois -_-

Is feider liom caint as Bearla agus as Gaeilge.
Táim go maith, go raibh maith agait.
Bhí mo gaeilge i bhfad níos fearr cúpla bliain o shin, bhí mé beagnach líofa mar chuaigh mé go dt an gaeilteacht. Tá mé ag eirí níos measa an taim ar fad anois... Má tá gaielge maith agait, táim cinnte go bhfeiceann tú botúin i ngach áit.
Tá bróin orm faoi sin. :(

Ot: I can speak Irish, or at least I used be fluent a couple of years ago as I've said above. I can still understand people well though, and I could easily converse without it being too difficult. My spelling is atrocious though, as it's all through speaking.
I also learnt german for 5 years, but now I can't even ask for directions. I'm stuck with the obscure language. :D