Any fellow Descent series fans on the forums?

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
Calling all Pyro-GX pilots. Okay, so Descent may not have sold as much as Doom or Quake but it's still a significant series for its zero gravity environment and true 3-D polygon player characters and NPC's. Anyone here besides me recall being a dog of the PTMC?

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Oh yeah I remember Decent, I always loved escaping from an exploding space station

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Yep, loved the first, especially the rock hard bosses. Went a bit downhill from there; first with that stupid guidebot then with everything in the third installment.

One of the great things about descent was the stress of finding the exit especially during the later levels. The guidebot removed that.

losethegame101

May 1, 2008
Though Descent 2 provided me endless joy in my youth, I love it more because it spawned two of the greatest space combat sims ever made: Freespace 1 and 2.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
LOVED the first one and LOVED the second one. I was so into those games I can't even explain. I only played 1 and 2 though but that was enough for me to consider it one of my alltime favorite series. It's amazing how the controls where so complicated at the beggining and how you develop the dexterity you need to controll the ship. Those games where also very atmosferic, the isolation you feel when descending deeper inside those planets and mines, the music was quite fitting, but the sounds, THE SOUNDS; the audio in those games was actually pretty impressive. Still waiting for MORE.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Played a demo ages ago when we got a new Gateway 2000 comp with Windows 95 on it. And, I've seen that trailer of one of them so many times...think it was for Descent 3.

*Clears throat* DESCENT 3's FUSION ENGINE ALLOWS YOU TO MOVE SEAMLESSLY FROM INSIDE, TO OUT!

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
I also saw a good re-vamp of Descent 2. http://www.descent2.de/ which adds a LOT of new features while still keeping true to Descent's traditions which D3 had so carelessly abandoned.

B4D 9R4MM3R

May 15, 2008
I can still remember the intro to the second one...

"I only hope this is a reconnaissance mission and nothing more..."

The GB was always a good friend to have, unless either it got stuck in a wall (again! Why?!) or it killed me while in wingnut mode (again! Why?!).

Damn it, we need some kind of 360DOFFPS to be made soon. If Descent 4 is going to be made? That?s the absolute best news I?ve heard all year. I can hardly wait.

Better get some training in the good ol? Pyro again?

Cidias

Jun 18, 2008
I cant remember if it was D3 or the 'expansion pack' called Levels of the World, but there was one level that had a huge room that was totally pitch black and the only way to find the enemies was to fire and then look for where the shots came from. Totally awesome room especially in the begining when it was full of enemies.

I was never very good at playing it but my brother was amazing...first game that was fun just to watch someone else playing. My bro was so aggressive and smooth with the strafing it was like a dance. Turn, strafe, rotating while pinning the enemy to the wall and then flipping over and taking out two more.

although the repetition of "find the blue key card, find the yellow key card, find the red key card, etc got boring for me it was still a nice game.

djapp

May 22, 2008
I remember that being the first computer game I was really impressed by. I remember flying around the caves and figuring out cheat codes for really cool different kinds of missles.

Am I hallucinating?>

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
losethegame101 said:
Though Descent 2 provided me endless joy in my youth, I love it more because it spawned two of the greatest space combat sims ever made: Freespace 1 and 2.
Amen brother. The Freespace series was amazing. I still play Freespace 2